What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hey barter, barter, barter,,,

med_breeder

Hello,
I am very curious to know if anyone barters here?

Does anyone barter to obtain 50% or more of the goods and services needed for life. I am fascinated by the concept. As a child, I traded so much with other kids, toys, lunch, snacks, sports equiptment,etc
but as an adult with cash, I stoped. Thinking back trading was so fun.

now with the dollar becoming more and more weaker,
I would love to not use money, and trade as much as possible.

any tips?
any examples from your lives?

thanks in advance for all help

peace

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
When I was in the Navy in the late 70's, I lived in the Phillippines and Thailand...life is all about Bartering there-- I loved it!! Try that shit in Sears!! :wave:

D

Don Cotyle

Most of my closer friends and aquaintences are skilled Blue Coller. Mechanic,carpenter,mason,lathe and mill,etc.etc. I'm a Bodyman auto refinisher& custom paint. Farmer-moonshine, corn feed, round bails, beef etc.We do a fair amount of tradeing, labor&goods.

I've done alot of tradeing with Morrel mushrooms,apples,and make a few powder and primer horns from time to time. I love tokeing on a spliff and hunting shrooms, very relaxing.

If not out and out barter we help each other when we can. I'm out in the boonies and we're all tight . Country boy can survive...WEEdogies!!!

Last edited:

med_breeder

sounds great Don.
I wish I knew more people who are open to Barter.
would love to pay for all the piano,violen, and ballet lessons with
some homemade beer,or a bushel of corn.

peace

D

Don Cotyle

Did a left front hit repair an a friends pickup, $2400 hit. for an engine rebuuild in my Ladys T-bird. Just gave the labor both ways. We each paid for our own parts. I still think he might of got the better deal...he had an insurance check:p...just funning:)

It really helps out.

Here's my new 1/2 gal shine jug, the carpenters wife :)...replica Cival War era with a blue corn flower,for a bushel of apples. She makes a mean apple krisp, pies and bakes...UUMMMMMM!!! I still have to make a stopper, I'm gonna use a pipe ashtray bumper "cork". Most of this years corn cobs are fairly weathered.

I used to barter a lot with other people on the street... clothes, food, packs, sleeping bags, patches, tapes, cd players, knifes, and anything else we would find useful. i still barter when i can because i hate usin ****ing money.
ive fixed up numorous houses while being able to live in them for free.
ive bartered my life for several shitty bosses.
ill fix a car or something in the house for friends for a meal and some buds or something
i do lots of bartering with friends since none of us ever have a lot of money... oh well

D0nC0smic

i've been known to refuse to sell weed or mushrooms to my friends but ask that they make a donation of a botle of good liquor to the bar in my living room instead, this works well because chances are both the weed I gave them and the liquor they gave me will end up at the same party anyway

B

Bubble Puppy

I've been known to to barter for beans /clones other places .But that is expressly forbidden here.

RandyMarsh

I wish bartering were more common these days. Seems everywhere I try people just end up getting offended. Me and my friends are always trading good and services though. Just last week my buddy did some work on my car for a case of brews, and a month earlier I filled up a friends ink cartridges in exchange for a smoke-down. I like meeting people who have more than money on their mind.

Insomniac

I'd love to barter...but the problem is if I want something, and they don't want any of my items.. everybody wants money in some way or another.

What if I teach you some calculus?...haha

hunt4genetics

Veteran
for the last three years I have had a setup with a friend. He is japanese,
I teach the kids english, and baby sit from time to time,
in return he has thaught me alot of Japanese. about 10 hours a week. He continues to teach me the three writing systems, and the formal and informal language usage.

BadKarma

You could consider craigslist. Or better yet start your own website to connect people in your area who wish to barter.

"What if I teach you some calculus?...haha"

I would be happy to trade something for some calculus tutoring for my son. Don't sell yourself short.

G

Bartering only works properly in impoverished countries. Don't try it down the shopping centre as i have, it doesn't work!

Tarbosh

haha, funny you ask b/c when I was young and first got into the business of the slang, I used to trade herbs for everything~!

I used to go to home depot and build pieces out of buckets and stuff, just b/c well, they let you use the display tools and I would just make my shit in the store and pay for it when I left, and one time when I made what I called R2D2, it rang up to like $80-100 and I was like damn, I just made this piece b/c I just got some legit diesel (turned out to be aks, but the grower was insane) and I told that person I would burn em down and they totally let me go~!

Another time, I took the one dear to my heart out to dinner and a really expensive restaurant in town at which I was currently supplying the help..... excused myself, went in the back and made a 4g sale for $80 and the bill comes and lo and behold.... totalled to $80~! Haha~!

It was like an unsaid language.... herb is worth more than gold~!

However, I designed an idea around the concept.... I call it Freebay.... the notion was to have an auction site just like eBay, except it would offer the option to make an offer of a good/service...... Like if you give me your car, I will do your roof and paint your house.....

Let me know what you think?~! Its been one of those ideas that seemed way ahead of its time, so its been fermenting on the shelf~! Haha~!

Light~!

Teddicus

hunt4genetics

Veteran
nice read Tarbosh.
with an uncertain ecomonic future, I wish I knew more people like you.
I would love to trade for everything.
we are only limited by our imagination.