What's new

Legalizing marijuana in california

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
Activists think time is right to legalize pot
Marijuana advocates circulate petitions despite apparent backlash

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/EarlyEdition/article_view.cfm?recordID=8149&publishdate=12/08/2007

By GLENDA ANDERSON
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT
Saturday, December 8, 2007

Lake County marijuana advocates are circulating petitions to create a statewide ballot initiative to legalize marijuana, despite an apparent public backlash against the abuses associated with growing it for medicinal uses.

The proposed initiative, which won state approval for circulation late last week, would prohibit marijuana's use for anyone under the age of 21 unless it was for medical reasons.

It also would bar anyone from being subjected to state criminal or civil penalties for the possession, cultivation, transportation, distribution or recreational use of marijuana.

Use of marijuana, however, would remain in conflict with federal laws prohibiting its use.

While outright legalization of pot has been tried before, proponents of the California Cannabis Hemp and Health Initiative of 2008 are optimistic.

"We're going to pass it. I guarantee it," said Eddy Lepp, a co-author of the initiative. He is known to pot activists worldwide for his advocacy, which resulted in his arrest for growing 32,500 marijuana plants in plain sight along a Lake County highway in August 2004. The case is pending.

The petition needs 433,971 signatures by registered voters -- representing 5 percent of the votes cast in the last gubernatorial election -- to make it on the ballot.

Clearlake Oaks resident Jack Herer, the initiative's primary author, has been trying unsuccessfully to qualify similar measures for ballots in California, Oregon, Alaska and Washington since the early 1970s.

He said people will vote for it if he can convince them of its benefits, which he claims include adding several years to the average life span.

Herer and Lepp also worked successfully on California's Proposition 215, the 1996 voter-approved law that legalized marijuana for medicinal use.

But even marijuana proponents question whether a measure legalizing marijuana for all uses could pass today.

"I don't see majority support for legalization of marijuana at this time," said Dale Gieringer, the Northern California coordinator for the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, or NORML.

NORML is not supporting the initiative, he said.

Mendocino County Supervisor Mike Delbar noted the backlash against marijuana cultivation makes support for total legalization unlikely.

"I seriously doubt whether Proposition 215 could pass today given what voters know versus what they think they voted for originally," he said.

"A lot of people couldn't argue with making available marijuana as a medicine for those who are gravely ill. What they didn't expect was the rampant exploitation of the law that we're living with now."

Proposition 215 has led to a proliferation of backyard marijuana gardens where law enforcement officials say pot is grown not for medical use but commercial sale.

They said pot enterprises attract crime, such as last week's Santa Rosa home-invasion robbery that resulted in the shooting death of a 20-year-old man and the arrests of several others for possession of more than 300 pounds of processed marijuana.

Pot gardens also attract complaints about pungent, skunklike odors.

Cities and counties throughout California are struggling with ordinances aimed at controlling marijuana cultivation and associated problems.

Ukiah officials Wednesday made it a misdemeanor to violate its ordinance against growing pot outdoors, and Mendocino County supervisors next week will consider limiting the number of plants grown per parcel.

You can reach Staff Writer Glenda Anderson at 462-6473 or glenda.anderson@ pressdemocrat.com.

pressdemocrat.com

Note from Jack Herer:

On October 2nd, my wife received the following message from Keith Stroup NORML:

Jeannie:

Please tell Jack that I have reviewed his draft initiative and I think it is splendid. It is a proposal I would love to see adopted by California and all other states.

Nice work.

We will find five minutes during the conference (likely during the 11:15 am panel on Friday on legislation and initiatives) for Jack to announce and briefly explain what his proposal would do. I would suggest that he bring 300-400 copies of the initiative to the conference so we can provide copies to all attendees.

Let me know if Jack has other questions or needs anything further on this.

Regards,

Keith

Keith Stroup, Esq.
NORML Legal Counsel
keith@norml.org
www.norml.org

Last edited:

Germanator

How will the initiative be circulated? I for one would like to sign...and I might know a few people willing to do so as well...

Germ

güero1

I sent Jack an email on how to sign for this initiative, hey said you need to be registered to vote in California and the volunteer coordinator is Buddy and he's at www.myspace.com/hemp2008. If you're not on MySpace, his email is bduzy@prodigy.net. He can tell you where to go to sign it in your area.

Come on people in California get behind this and sign this initiative. Also tell people about it so they can to.

Last edited:

coolx

"apparent backlash?"

stop feeding into the hype. There is no backlash against mmj. I'd love to see evidence to support this. The only backlash is agains the feds for busting dispensaries etc.

Dkgrower

Veteran
When police is turing back 3 pounds of medical marijuanna to the persons who was robbed off, by 2 young kids with a gun, it really needs to be legal fore all to smoke.

gogo hope you will legalised it, that would be blizzz and send the message to rest off the world,

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
"NORML is not supporting the initiative, he said."

Seems like the only thing NORML is supporting these days is it's wallet....If they won't support this, what i thought their purpose was to start off with, they might as well fade into the cloud of smoke they've been blowing up our ass for years now.

Backlash=DEA intrusion

Last edited:
G

From New York Times today.

National Briefing | West
California: Ruling Against Marijuana Clubs

By CAROLYN MARSHALL
Published: December 14, 2007

A federal appeals court in San Francisco upheld an 2002 injunction barring three California marijuana clubs from giving the drug to medical patients with a prescription. The ruling by judges on the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit sided with the Justice Department, which first sued the dispensaries in 1998 to stop sales of medical marijuana to patients with a doctor’s approval, as allowed under a California law approved by voters in 1996. The law has been at the heart of a series of legal battles over state and federal drug laws, which categorize marijuana as illegal. The ruling was likely the last legal recourse for the clubs. In 2001, the United States Supreme Court heard the case and ruled against the California cooperatives.

koalaponics

Eddy Lepp is a sonuvabitch. Who the **** does he think he is, to go blowing up the spot more than it is already!!

This is a war on drugs, and in wars their is something called attrition. We have come a long way in 10 years, precariously getting cannabis more and more entrenched in the state and now these jerkwads want to wave it in the face of the feds.

They KNOW this means nothing !!! This is all that bullshit 1960's mentality that is going to **** us all once again. People like this are doing us no good all they are doing is bringing more heat down on california. The sooner they retire the better or maybe they will have some honor and retire themselves. Go fall on your sword, Eddy Lepp.

D0nC0smic

SCF said:
Pot gardens also attract complaints about pungent, skunklike odors.

Now thats just wrong, the only reason people complain about the smell is that they don't want to attract police attention

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
koalaponics said:
Eddy Lepp is a sonuvabitch. Who the **** does he think he is, to go blowing up the spot more than it is already!!

This is a war on drugs, and in wars their is something called attrition. We have come a long way in 10 years, precariously getting cannabis more and more entrenched in the state and now these jerkwads want to wave it in the face of the feds.

They KNOW this means nothing !!! This is all that bullshit 1960's mentality that is going to **** us all once again. People like this are doing us no good all they are doing is bringing more heat down on california. The sooner they retire the better or maybe they will have some honor and retire themselves. Go fall on your sword, Eddy Lepp.

what does this have to do with eddy?

koalaponics

Did you read the article? This is a total ego-trip for all involved, they really think that the rotting corpse of the 1960's can still be revived.
SCF said:
"We're going to pass it. I guarantee it," said Eddy Lepp, a co-author of the initiative. He is known to pot activists worldwide for his advocacy, which resulted in his arrest for growing 32,500 marijuana plants in plain sight along a Lake County highway in August 2004. The case is pending.

]

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
koalaponics said:
Did you read the article? This is a total ego-trip for all involved, they really think that the rotting corpse of the 1960's can still be revived.

How do you see this as a revival of the 60's?? I was there...it was nothing like this--
Medical Marijuana is but a stepping-stone for full legalization of something that should never have been criminalized in the first place-- I have been to Rallys...and I have heard the heads of ASA, NORML...stand up and tell us we cannot act like "Stoners"--
Uhhhh...what if we really are "Stoners"...why should we have to conform to the System we are fighting--
I will not "Pose"...I am what I am... :cuss:

Last edited:
S

SinsemillaJones

Those "jerkwads" started the long way we've come, jerkwad!

Those "jerkwads" started the long way we've come, jerkwad!

koalaponics said:
We have come a long way in 10 years, precariously getting cannabis more and more entrenched in the state and now these jerkwads want to wave it in the face of the feds.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :rolleyes:

article said:
Herer and Lepp also worked successfully on California's Proposition 215, the 1996 voter-approved law that legalized marijuana for medicinal use.

You couldn't carry Jack Herer's jockstrap!

xxxxxxxx:bashhead:xxxxxxxxxx:spank:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx