What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

are these the best headphones for the money?

NOKUY

Veteran
I know sooooooo many of you are more techno inclined than me so thats why i'm askin this here.

i was shoppin' headphones and from everything ive read/seen it seems like Technics rp-dh1200 are the best.
(expensive tho)

3_Technics.jpg

the other ones i really liked, but reviews make it sound like they are just made for bass....but look sweet: (half the price of the techs)

gi_rasta.jpg

...any thoughts on those?....i dont need them for a studio or anything ...just for a cd player....but wanna become deaf. :spank:

G

if ya wanna go deaf get the skullcandy.
i have skullcandy ear buds for my mp3...very loud..quality is very good.

Bose all the way.

If anything on your Bose headphones breaks, just bring it in to a store and they'll replace them free.
They won't fix it and give it back to you, they'll take your broken ones and hand you a brand new pair.

B

Boxy Brown

Bose all the way.

personally I find Bose to be overrated crap, everything iv bought from them breaks and when it dose there solution is to simply replace it which is fine if your under warranty but expensive if your not, also the word on the internet is bose designs there junk so that it cant be fixed, like the acoustimass which is glued all to hell in places that glue isn't needed making it just about impossible to say replace the fuse which tends to blow after only a year or so (Bose solution is to pay 500$ for a new one) :rant:

Last edited:

D0nC0smic

The bose stuff is some of the best there is, but even one of their engineers once told me that they were way overpriced

Boxy Brown said:
personally I find Bose to be overrated crap, everything iv bought from them breaks and when it dose there solution is to simply replace it which is fine if your under warranty but expensive if your not
That's why you tell them that you got it as a gift less than a year ago.
:)
"I don't have the receipt - I got it as a gift for valentines/xmas/bday"

eucaryote

Beyerdynamic DT 770 are a good pair of sealed cans that have jaw dropping bass (I've had to take my cans off a few times while listening to bass drums, to be sure my speakers weren't on,) while still maintaining the full range somewhat well. Sennheiser HD 595 sounds similar to the 600 and 650, but a more Grado-esque front row style sound (Sennheiser is often "laid back"). AKG K 26 P are good techno phones on the cheap ($60.) Ultrasone DJ1 Pro and Sennheiser HD280 Pro are nice to use if you intend to do mixing in a club and need closed monitoring with over-all balanced sound (though the Sennheiser HD280 Pro might sound a little dark in comparison.)

A lot of the better headphones will require an amp to drive to their full potential, for that I recommend the Presonus HP4. You can buy it at your local Guitar Center and haggle down the price most of the time. It uses 1/4" TRS connectors, and automatically switches between +4 and -10 for you (balanced and consumer.) It's by no means a crazy audiophile headphone amplifier, but it measures absolutely flat (it doesn't color your sound to any noticable degree, unlike 'audiophile' amps that try to emulate tube sound, or more "full sound".) What goes in, comes out, just with more signal. I like that.

An alternate path is to look into the Koss KSC-75, or PortaPro line. Cheap fun headphones that actually give everything sub $100 a run for their money measurement-wise. No amp required.

b8man

Veteran
I got myself a pair of Audio Technica ATH A950's recently and have been repeatedly blown away by the clarity and bass response. They're nice closed phones which don't require a headphone amp and cut out the outside world to a whisper. Think they'd be about 250-300 USD.

Otherwise the Sennheiser HD595's are very nice open phones.

Audio Technica would be my personal tip though.

oldpink

Un - Retired,
Administrator
Veteran
the best there is

the best there is

Stax SR-007 Omega II Reference Electrostatic Headphones are the dog's dangly bits
BUT there Almost £1600 (over $3000) I've tried them and I can only say incredable
Personally I use jecklin float headphones, there a bit different from standard headphones as they look more like a crash helmet than earphones
961_L.jpg

D Rock

HERBAL RELEAF PLANT A SEED START A WE
Veteran
Yukon, Those Skullcandy Rasta DJ headphones are pimp as hell get those. I dont know how those sound But I sure would love a pair for Christmas. How much are they.

L

Lune TNS

D Rock said:
Yukon, Those Skullcandy Rasta DJ headphones are pimp as hell get those. I dont know how those sound But I sure would love a pair for Christmas. How much are they.

I thought the same thing, those look cool as hell.

NOKUY

Veteran
D Rock said:

you can get 'em online at bestbuy.com for $69

...i dont think best buy has them in stores tho

ill prolly order them in a min. myself....i dont wanna spend much more than that for headphones

I got a few different headphones.... you wanna know what you need. For portable ipod i got Sennheser OMX 70 Sport ... you should also try inear headphones for portable if you like the feeling... they make some good sounds. For DJing go with closed types od headphones that eliminate sound from surroudings.... but they are worse in reproducing sound and ultimatley worse to wore over long time period. It is also good to know what's going around you.... for best enjoyment go with open type of audiophile headphones.... I have HD 595 and they blow your brains away keeping the sound unaffected. There's even better version outthere... HD650 http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/root/products_headphones_high-end

I hope you realize you need a good Hi-Fi AMP to get the sound sounding right. :rasta:

NOKUY

Veteran
i cant wear "in ear" headphones....they are too uncomfortable

...plus i like my headphones to say "leave me the F U C K alone".....thats why i like the DJ types ...and i dont mind if i cant hear anything around me.

im only buying them for a cpl plane trips and airport delays, and used at home otherwise.

nycdfan042

Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!
Veteran
seinehisser??? it hink is how they are spelled..if you want em bi amped that the way to go

NOKUY

Veteran
hey "wmass"...or anyone who knows?

how do they work w/ a portable cd player?....ill use 'em eventually w/ a stereo, but need them for a diskman right now.

still only deciding between the techs and the skullcandy

nycdfan042

Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!
Veteran
no offense but those headphonesyou posted are simple/ decent...if you want some serious sound id go with seinhiesser