What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old gas prices sign

Geno420

i was riding down this road smoking a blunt earlier today and i went past this gas station that looked like it had been shut down for years... here's what i came across

image.php

i miss those days when you could put 5 bux in the tank and ride all over town... :badday:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it wasn't all that long ago I was paying $1.17 in NYC area. I drove taxi last at that time in 2002 & those prices had risen quickly from around a $1.00-1.05 in the fall of '01. We've seen triple those '01 & '02 prices recently.

My advice?....... buy a Buick LeSabre, 4 door & discreet with the 3800 (3.8 litre) V6. It gets close to 30mpg on the highway and 22 in town & about 24-25mpg mixed driving. My last LeSabre I gave to a friend in need, it had 265K miles and never a single engine problem or tranny issues, it ran fine for over another 2 yrs for him, it died w/ 318K on the odometer.

A great american motor car, find a late model w/ 100K on the clock & pay just $3-5,000 for it. And as I'm currently shopping for one myself again I can tell you this, they're becoming tougher to find as their values are being realized in their low gas & low maintainence/repair costs.

Pops

Resident pissy old man
Veteran
48 years ago, when I first started driving, gas was .29/gal. I found a gas war in Illinois in the late 60's when gas was the cheapest I have ever seen it at .25/gal. I am currently paying $3.25/gal. in SoCal. Gas is 13 times higher now but, fortunately, my income is 25 times higher. Gas has always been cheap in the U.S. compared to Europe and Asia. In the 60's, it was .25/gal on military installations in Europe, but over $3.00 in Germany and France. We are just now starting to catch up to the rest of the world in gas prices.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
teddybud said:
buick regal does good on the gas too... got a truck now though... no good for gas.
I hear ya there....... I'm driving a 4 door GMC Jimmy right now & getting no better than 17mpg highway & 14mpg combined.

BTW, if you're the kind of driver that speeds around by habit and depending upon your own vehicle you should know that for every 10mph slower you drive your gas economy improves by appx. 25%.
4 cylinder cars will gain a bit less than the 25%
8 cylinders cars, trucks, & SUVs can gain more than the 25%

This figures down to this. If you're paying $3.20 per gallon right now & change your driving habits as mentioned above it's the price equivalent of paying just $2.40 a gallon.

Last edited:

MK-Ultra

i'm lucky to get 10 mpg 454ss. have many other vehicles i can get into though so i don't mind it when i do drive it. i sometimes like to act like a Kid again and i stick my foot in it and, well u know.. My grandfather use to run outta gas he would then just get out the moonshine and poor her in and be on his way.. How i miss him.

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In the UK we're paying approx. $8 a gallon. Lucky I get 50mpg in my car :D

marx2k

Veteran
I ride a bike. Not kidding though. :) I have a car but I use it for utility purposes, like hauling crap back from Home Depot. As far as transportation. Bike. If it's really cold out (rain doesnt bother me), or if there's a lot of snow on the ground, I take the bus.

I read some of you drive gas guzzlers and I can understand that if you need it for work. But if all you do with it is back and forth commuting, can you tell me why you choose to do that? I'm just curious because I see a lot of people around my parts who obviously do not need their SUVs (70 year old grandmas, housewives, the businessman who wants it to look successful, poor people). Actually, that last one is especially mind-boggling. Why do I see ghetto peeps driving around in rusted out Explorers when it's obvious the gas prices must be eating at them like cancer? Is that just ironic to only me?

D0nC0smic

cheapest i remember was $0.83 around fall of 98 i think. i was driving a tiny japanese car at the time, but it used a fair amount of gas because it was old and it had alot of kick for a v4

G

D0nC0smic said:
cheapest i remember was $0.83 around fall of 98 i think. i was driving a tiny japanese car at the time, but it used a fair amount of gas because it was old and it had alot of kick for a v4

the 'v4' thing always gets me.........

SwissBliss

He meant calling a 4 cylinder a V-4, which is wrong, because MOST 4 cylinders are in an inline configuration..

~SB~

Geno420

SwissBliss said:
He meant calling a 4 cylinder a V-4, which is wrong, because MOST 4 cylinders are in an inline configuration..

~SB~

ohh i was gonna say there aren't to many v-4's out here at least in america... but my engine is I-4 I have also heard of I-6