What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best rolling machine?

I spent years of hand rolling and when in a group setting I usually get the honors of twisting the days smoke. But the machine is fast and easy!

I honestly never used my old one that much but after resuming growing again last yr after a 12-15yr hiatus, I found that I was banging the glass a little too often for my taste. Plus I think a joint is a little easier on my throat

Also I drive a lot for work and find that a machine rolled joint can be smoked about anywhere without raising an eyebrow. I can puff at an intersection or passing thru an accident scene, even give the officer a polite wave with my joint hand..... just looks like a cigarette. After it's spent just toss the butt out the window and there's nothing stinky in the car (like a pipe) in case you're pulled over. I keep fresh ones in watertight metal containers.

At night after the kids are asleep I'll whip out the nut grinder (google it! Best grinder ever! Learned of it here on I/Cmag) and clean a nice pile, then sit and crank out 6, 8 or 10 J's for the following day.

Man, I used to have one like in the picture, but it had a cloth instead of plastic wrapping part and it worked great for a long time till I lost it or somebody stole it. All the ones I could find though have shit reviews and plastic wrapping parts. I guess the new hotness is this thing which has stupid good reviews?
https://www.amazon.com/Premier-Cigar-Humidors-16941-Powermatic/dp/B00IPJXDL6

View Image

A long time ago a friend of mine inherited one like that, it worked pretty well! It was silver with feminine engraved and a pink fabric belt. I also was surprised to read all of the poor reviews.

I will say that I'm "all in" on raw products. The only product I've not liked is the premade tips, they're just too small. The books full of leaves that you roll yourself is the way to go. I like the brown but the folding takes time, the white ones are perforated and make folding and rolling very quick. The white ones are my "go to" now

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I let my fingers do the rolling - and if you train them right - you could have a lifetime of home made finely rolled spliffs - like anything - its all down to practice - practice makes perfect -

Seems like everyone wants a gadget for everything these days -
My original rolling tray was made in like 1979, before I was even born :D People use machines to make work easier. A lot of us just don't have the finger dexterity to be rolling joints.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
What I find rather unexpected is that almost no one uses a "pollen box" as a rolling tray. I have been using these for years and I get a gram or 2 of hash every month or so that I would have, otherwise, thrown away on a flat rolling tray or whatever I used to use. A couple of tham, I made. Some of them, I bought.

Attachments

• boxk1.jpg
    boxk1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 73
  • boxk1a.jpg
    boxk1a.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 74
  • boxall.jpg
    boxall.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 74
  • box1.jpg
    box1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 73
  • box2.jpg
    box2.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: Gry

buzzmobile

Veteran
I knew this thread would fill with people bragging about how they use their fingers, as if that makes them special, and would contain very few useful suggestions relating to rolling machines. I had no useful suggestions for the op so I didn't say anything but now I feel like I need to because all this poor guy wants is his old rolling machine back and all you guys do is shame him with your rolling elitism.

Shaming and rolling elitism :woohoo:
Let's get down to basics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjAJO8FFTdA

Reactions: Gry

knucklehead bob

Veteran
We ain't all 30 years old & time marches on . Some of us have been burning longer than others here have been alive :biggrin: There are times when a finger or two will actually lock in whatever position they wish to the point where I have to get it moving again with my other hand . I can still roll but I also have a roller :tiphat:

What I find rather unexpected is that almost no one uses a "pollen box" as a rolling tray. I have been using these for years and I get a gram or 2 of hash every month or so that I would have, otherwise, thrown away on a flat rolling tray or whatever I used to use. A couple of tham, I made. Some of them, I bought.

I've had a grinder with a screen in the bottom before. I never understood the point.

The crystals = the stuff that makes me stoned. Right? Why separate them from the flower I'm about to smoke?

I use a small metal tray ( tilt it and jiggle to remove seeds) and use the rolling paper package to scoop stuff up with, I don't throw away much.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
You hand fill all of those? Good God!
Why the scale?

You know that they sell trays that are predrilled for cones (supported underneath). Some folks even attach vibrating motors so they pack themselves.
If your routinely filling that many. Looks like a pain in the ass.

Nope. The lid is above it and it's a vibrating box. I just spread the weed until the tubes are half full, turn the vibrator on (an old skill saw) for 2 minutes, spread more weed on the lid to the top, vibrate for another 2 minutes and I'm done. I can do 100 in 20 minutes. That's filled, weighed and packaged. 1 gram per tube (2 joints). I had 800 tubes. One guy bought them all. Cost me a couple days to put it together for about $2. You can buy retail versions online, there are a few, for $2500-$6000 if you like. But they're so simple to make...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Nope. The lid is above it and it's a vibrating box. I just spread the weed until the tubes are half full, turn the vibrator on (an old skill saw) for 2 minutes, spread more weed on the lid to the top, vibrate for another 2 minutes and I'm done. I can do 100 in 20 minutes. That's filled, weighed and packaged. 1 gram per tube (2 joints). I had 800 tubes. One guy bought them all. Cost me a couple days to put it together for about $2. You can buy retail versions online, there are a few, for $2500-$6000 if you like. But they're so simple to make...

View Image

View Image

View Image

Interesting. Looks like less of a pain in the ass now. I'd pictured you doing all of that with a small funnel..lol

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor

That's impressive!

I guess you do a couple test runs to figure how much time running to get the weight spot on for the grind, texture and density.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Interesting. Looks like less of a pain in the ass now. I'd pictured you doing all of that with a small funnel..lol
Ahh... lol.
Good idea. Would make great handy dandy xmas stocking stuffers for the kids (all over 25yrs). But I have to admit, the oldest boy can roll the perfect cone joint in the blink of an eye. Shocking how fast he does it seemingly without effort.

That's impressive!

I guess you do a couple test runs to figure how much time running to get the weight spot on for the grind, texture and density.
Yup. 2 full minutes might seem like a long time to vibrate, but with really fresh bud, you might even do 3 minutes. And you're right, a test run is always needed. Fresh, sticky, size of the grind (I do it in a small food processor in small batches) makes a difference. With fresh weed and those tubes to seal it in, they stay smooth for the year. Maybe longer.

The biggest job it prepping your weed. Tiny sticks will poke through the joint so you really have to clean it thoroughly. Those two bins took a good two full days of eye ball straining work, and you have to work fast with that amount or the weed will dry too fast and will be a harsh smoke.

Makes great gifts. :)

Craycanna

What about pre-rolled cones & the Raw cone loader? I've yet to find a roller that I'm comfortable with, but my secret santa got me a loader & pack of cones, they're pretty easy to use. I think Raw has a fancy grinder that rolls cones for you too, called the six shooter.

Make a new thread If you'd like to fight about it, this thread is about rolling machines.

Lol "fight about it" this isn't preschool, opinions can be had and comments can be made without it being a "fight"

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
The wife likes the plain opaque storage tubes because everyone thinks they're tampons and they're never checked when entering a venue. She says people avoid touching them. lol

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What about pre-rolled cones & the Raw cone loader? I've yet to find a roller that I'm comfortable with, but my secret santa got me a loader & pack of cones, they're pretty easy to use. I think Raw has a fancy grinder that rolls cones for you too, called the six shooter.

Lol "fight about it" this isn't preschool, opinions can be had and comments can be made without it being a "fight"

I just looked up the Six Shooter. It's just a bump box that holds up to 6 premade cones for filling.

That's one thing I can't do is roll a cone.