What's new

So is it possible...?

O

OG Royal Grower

Since this is the brewing section i figured someone might know if it is possible to correctly extract THC into a beer or ale, none of the recipes ive read so far had nug added just regular hops.
Peace out,
OGRoyal Grower

Laxpunker

I would think it'd be possible, however it'd be impossible to get sufficient amounts of THC into the beer. If you've ever made Green Dragon you know it takes a couple shots for you to feel stoned, and that's made with something that's 80 proof.

robobond

Future Psychopharmacologist
Well hops, the main ingrediant in most beer, is a relative to cannabis. So I do believe it's possible. I don't know how strong it would be tho.

Last edited:

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Well the main ingredient in beer is water. Next to that it's mostly malted barley followed by hops. After primary fermentation there is alcohol in the mix as well. This alcohol dissolves the THC and distributes it into the beer. Some watercure their buds so that they don't impart a "green" flavor to the beer. Some use kief or hash. I think that the important thing is how long it's left to dissolve into the beer.
As for potency in relation to green dragon, I think that it if you don't put much in your green dragon it won't be so easy to get lifted by a shot, it'd take more. Similarly if you dose your beer high enough, you'd probably only need one or two. The proof isn't as high in the beer but if the alcohol holds the same amount of THC it would take the same number of drinks as the green dragon.

Nate

Sure it's possible! Mr Mr Mustard is right on the money!

When we made green dragon it only took one or two shots before we were ripped!!!

Dankdude

A figment of your imagination
Mentor
One must remember that if your going to put a green dragon in your beer, only use one or two ounces in the bottle or your going to taste whiskey in the beer.

If you make a high alcohol beer to start with (say 7% alc by volume or higher) the THC will desolve in the beer and off any plant matter.

bucks8n

I heard (on TCC zymurgy group threads) 6% alcohol is needed for THC extraction after long maturation but have no evidence to back that up and trying to find some...

bucks8n

Reading further on this the answer is very much 'yes' it even has a proper name and tradition

From the 'good beer guide Germany' from camra:

Hanfbier
brewed with hemp blossom rather than hops handbier was reintroduced in 1996 by kronenbauerie Wahl in gundelfingen (cannabia) and bier company in Berlin (turn). Neither of those breweries survives although both are still around having been contracted to brewers outside Germany. Withingermany wekbiw of just two brewpubsthat brew handbier seasonally, both in saxony.