What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Michael Caine:'What ruined the 60's was DRUGS!'

EvergreenState

The 60's weren't ruined. Sounds like dope smoking ruined it for him because all of the babes started getting high and probably saw him in a different light when they were high. They more than likely didn't think his drunken letch act was all that attractive. He liked his babes drunk out of their minds and willing to shag anybody.
All that being said, I like him as an actor but social criticism is not his bag.

oldchuck

Veteran
The photo is someone I knew in the 60's "Super" Joel Tornabene we shared a house in Canyon Calif where we and others organised protests against Port Chicago near Concord Calif, in the bay area the base where most of the weapons sent to Viet Nam war were shipped from.
-SamS

Puts me in mind of a very similar photo of flower power confrontation only it was a cute girl inserting the flower in 1967 in front of the Pentagon. I got into weed and a couple other things first in those years but I don't think it was the feeling of being stoned or whatever that drew me. The dope was just one aspect of being drawn into a more comprehensive style of life, or purpose of life than I had grown up with.

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
I was a little bit to young for doing drugs. My 60s wasn´t ruined.
Second from left.:)

picture.php

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
The photo is someone I knew in the 60's "Super" Joel Tornabene we shared a house in Canyon Calif where we and others organised protests against Port Chicago near Concord Calif, in the bay area the base where most of the weapons sent to Viet Nam war were shipped from.
-SamS

I can dig it, Was given that photo on a bunch of stickers and suggested I share them with like minded peoples the significance of which I will leave open for interpretation but I can't imagine the tension and the courage to break it like that ( I get tight from just being mouthy here sometimes)

one small step for man ...

Bruja64

Thank you so much for posting this, Gypsy!
I've been a big fan of Mr. Caine for many years. He is quite something!
My favorite movie of his is: 'Educating Rita'. God, I do love that movie!
Thank you again. Truly enjoyed this romp with Sir.Michael!!!❤

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yeah.....at the end of the 60's, when all that flower-power, love-in's, festivals and demonstrations were going on....I was just 10 years old.

The 70's were my teen-age stomping grounds, so all I remember of the 60's was growing up as an English schoolboy, and the music of course played on little record players usually as well as via radio Luxembourg on little transistor radios.....all my Mothers records mostly. I didn't buy my first album till 1972 (Bowie's Hunky Dory)...when I was 12 years old.

....and of course Michael Caine was a very popular actor in the 60's, and still is today. So he must have been doing something right. I remember 'Alfie', and 'The Italian Job' movies most of all from that era.

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
What ended the 60's for me was Altamont, Dec 6, 1969. 300,000-400,000 Woodstock West...
I was there so high on Orange Sunshine that I did not understand why the music keep stopping during the Stones, when I got home the next day I understood that while I was having fun others were doing much worse unbeknownst to me, I thought the whole event was a groove until it was explained to me later what happened up by the stage, that I did not try and approach, I was just to high...
-SamS

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
For those that don't know, The Hell's Angels stabbed a man to death right in from of the stage at Altamont while the Stones were playing. They were pissed because the man, whose name was Meredith Hunter, was black, and his girlfriend was white.
They stabbed him to death, then stood over him, preventing anybody from helping him.

Burt

Veteran
-SamS

Very interesting to say the least
What do you think of these scholars?
https://www.gnosticmedia.com/manufa...cial-engineering-by-joe-atwill-and-jan-irvin/
Basically, super Joel was a CIA asset and the famous pic was orchestrated by the same people who introduced western civilization to psilocybin and later acid

Burt

Veteran
I also recently ran into an older gentleman who claims he was responsible for 2/3’s of skunks genetics-a seed from a smuggled lb of Hawaiian crossed to a columbian circa 1976 which was then crossed to an afghani
What’s the timeline of the Cali skunk crews
breeding project?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Don't believe fake news there was no Cali Skunk Crew, I did all the work, starting earlier then 1976...
-SamS

I also recently ran into an older gentleman who claims he was responsible for 2/3’s of skunks genetics-a seed from a smuggled lb of Hawaiian crossed to a columbian circa 1976 which was then crossed to an afghani
What’s the timeline of the Cali skunk crews
breeding project?

Brother Nature

From what I understand the 60's ended shortly after the Altamont concert on December 31st 1969, roughly at midnight.

Though in all seriousness, the 60's couldn't have been centralized to the US or Britain or a specific event, ore specific set of drugs, it was a generational awareness that has still seeped through to today, for better or worse. It ended because, like any movement, the generation involved moved on, as all humans do, to something else. Blaming the end of idealism on a group of people or a single event seems petty and childish, the opposite of progress. Michael Cains movies are pretty damn good regardless of his views, most people who ride Harley's do so because of the Hell's Angels, the Rolling Stones are still fucking touring, and Skunk is still a great strain so does it even matter that the 60's ended?

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
What helped ruin the pre-60's was the over use of alcohol and tobacco and the people that over used them. I was not ruined by drugs that were introduced in the 60's it is quite simple to not take harmful hard drugs, if you really like the hard drugs maybe not so easy, but maybe all the more reasons to avoid them? Funny how Caine found Cannabis overwhelming yet drank profusely daily and thought it was just fine.... I am just the opposite. Zero alcohol for 50 years.
-SamS

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pre 60's there was amphetamine freely prescribed along with barbiturates, tranquilizers. Not hard to get at all, super common with actors. Half the adults used tobacco and lots of booze.

Caine is a cool dude and all but not really buying his story. There were more types of drugs during and after the 60's, but lots before too.

Meredith Hunter pulled a gun before being stabbed. Jagger was punched by a concert goer. Lots of out of control people there, not just the Angels.

M

moose eater

I had thought that according to an HA account, the fellow who was stabbed at Altamont had ventured near or touched a member's bike.

Not making excuses, but reaching into the cobwebs of my memory, and seeming to recollect something to that effect.

I think Brother Nature came closest to my beliefs about what ended the 60s (and early-to-mid-70s); egos, conflicts, abandonment of the loosely-defined ethos and altruism, money, and compromises with The System that appeased some of that moment, but really allowed the same old-same old to perpetuate. Jerry Rubin heading to Wall St. is like one of those pictures that symbolizes a thousand words.

There were some meaningful gains, but not enough.

I think the 60s was a time where there was sufficient solidarity for causes, at least within the various movements, to the extent of there being at least some amount of self-discipline where boycotts, etc., could take place.

While immediate gratification and "me, me, me" are not new forces within our species to contend with, I think they displaced the 'mission' toward peace and reform that once had persons willing to sacrifice so much.

We still see some of those admirable qualities at times today, but I think far less per capita than once upon a time back then.

There are people from that time who I still hold dearly as distant mentors or heroes, even post mortem, despite lacking any personal relationship with them; Dick Gregory, The Berrigan bros., Stephen Gaskin, and many others. People who gave way more than their share, and often paid for it.

In that regard, I would assert that it was human nature and imperfections, not drugs per se', that ended that era.

"Come on People now, smile on your brother, everybody get together, try to love one another right now." (Jesse Colin Young & The Youngbloods)

And some are still grieving over the chasm between what we could be, and what we choose to be instead.