What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why do you grow organically?

Dog Star

Veteran
Coco is aerator... he dont feed plant and cause of that is true irevelant in
organic grow,we use containers and we need every inch of soil to give our plants
optimum... so coco or any other aerator just taking valuable place inside pot
not giving plant valuable nutes.

Growing whithouth aerators is more organic way than growing with them,
revived soils have enough of porosity and softness that plant can spread their roots
whithouth any issues,trick is just to not stiff soil too hard on repoting.

Using aerators i sees good only in mixes that are for little sprouts and small plants,
final pot need to be full of good quality soil and wormcastings,that is how
plants grow most naturaly,total imitation of outdoor soil type of enviroment.

Coco can be used in organic grow but you could have a lot more PH swings
and defs than inside pure soil mixes.

Mr Jay

Veteran
What prompted you to switch?

I hate PH meters. I hate needing more gadgets to fuss with.

With organic soil, teas, and sometimes a lil biobizz I never have to worry about PH.

It's sooooo easy to grow organic, and i think the resulting bud just taste better. I never have to rinse my soil and I can just use the same soil over and over. In the long run it's less effort and money for better bud. Yield has never been low or an issue, I can grow right along side the chem boys.

hazyfontazy

Veteran
Coco itself is clearly organic. Organic but inert. Mostly used in conjuction with synthetic liquid fertilizers however ...

But I'm sure you already know that ;)

people are getting great results using coco and biobizz organic nutes :tiphat:

Pwyll

Coco can be used in organic grow but you could have a lot more PH swings
and defs than inside pure soil mixes.

Thanks Dog. Why does coco cause PH swings?

This year I used coco loco in the top half of my 5 gallon pots. I never check soil PH.

DrBnz

I'd like to think that I'm reducing the number of chemicals entering my body. But facts are it's EASIER and produces a beautiful flower. I spend my time growing the soil months before the seedling and then she grows herself later. I do keep a happy worm colony in my soil / containers as well, so I do have HELP.

Pwyll

Organics is easier in most ways. One exception is temperature range. Growing with bottled nutrients I could let my temps range between 50 and 90. Growing with living soil it seems advisable to narrow that down to 60 & 80 preferably 65 and 75.

Pwyll

I hate PH meters. I hate needing more gadgets to fuss with.

With organic soil, teas, and sometimes a lil biobizz I never have to worry about PH.

It's sooooo easy to grow organic, and i think the resulting bud just taste better. I never have to rinse my soil and I can just use the same soil over and over. In the long run it's less effort and money for better bud. Yield has never been low or an issue, I can grow right along side the chem boys.
Yield is never an issue for me but I don't grow to sell. If you can grow weed organically and sell it for $50 an ounce (wholesale in CO) you've got it down or you are growing outdoors. I figure it costs me close to $50 an ounce to grow on average. I only grow 6 plants so I can see it could come down with scale. But as numbers go up so do problems. thats why commercial growers dont favor organics. They need the chemicals that's why they come out with this 90% organic BS.

Last edited:

Mr Jay

Veteran
No offence Pwyll, but you're incorrect. Here on the west coast people are growing 14lb monsters outdoor on pure organics. It's also incredibly cheap and easy to have your soil mixed in large batches at somewhere like Concentrates inc. I spend far less on Organic nutes than I would on say botanicare or Advanced nutes. I also put in less time and effort, which is something that needs to be factored into the final calculation.

Pwyll

Agreed. I was just talking about indoor growing in Colorado. I understand also in Cali there is more of a market for premium weed. The additional cost/effort mostly relate to the daily temperature range here in co

Jhhnn

Veteran
No offence Pwyll, but you're incorrect. Here on the west coast people are growing 14lb monsters outdoor on pure organics. It's also incredibly cheap and easy to have your soil mixed in large batches at somewhere like Concentrates inc. I spend far less on Organic nutes than I would on say botanicare or Advanced nutes. I also put in less time and effort, which is something that needs to be factored into the final calculation.

Yields of anything in organic soils that have been built for years can be astounding. I've been building the soil in our small city garden for over 20 years. If we lived somewhere nobody would notice I'm sure I could grow some astounding trees in it. As it is I have to settle for 6 ft tomato plants & 25 ft squash vines... up the 6 ft fence, down the other side, into the alley & over onto the neighbors fence for a good distance as well.

Centennial seeds had pics of monsters grown in NoCo but they're down now...

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
Because after years of trying so many chems it gave me the best end product....along with the fact I could gather or produce alot of my own ingredients cheaply or free...yeehaw......it actually connected me more with the environment and made me respect and learn more....i never realized how handy some plants growing around me could be...

Mr Jay

Veteran
Agreed. I was just talking about indoor growing in Colorado. I understand also in Cali there is more of a market for premium weed. The additional cost/effort mostly relate to the daily temperature range here in co

It's really easy to make cheap organic soil, and you get to reuse it as well. Over time it cuts back on cost, I have amendments from years ago just kicking around.

Like trout said, it's easy to source cheap supplies and ingredients.

HqFarms

Pwyll there are a few organic commercial grows in co. One that comes to mind first is elite, another is rhino grow supply. I know there is a notill operation in Denver but I can't remember their name. If I still had Insta I would be able to give you their name. Yields are very comparable like people before me stated with longer veg times.

Drewsif

none of the above is proven

Pwyll there are a few organic commercial grows in co. One that comes to mind first is elite, another is rhino grow supply. I know there is a notill operation in Denver but I can't remember their name. If I still had Insta I would be able to give you their name. Yields are very comparable like people before me stated with longer veg times.

In NorCal they are pulling 5-10lbs off outdoor trees with no chemicals. Its better smoke than anything else in the world. No excuses for the Monsanto grower.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
threads like this really expose ignorance and fear, so tiring after all these years

DOES MINERAL FERTILIZATION MODIFY ESSENTIAL OIL CONTENT AND CHEMICAL COMPOSITION IN MEDICINAL PLANTS?

http://hortorumcultus.actapol.net/pub/12_5_3.pdf

effect of nutrient on terpene production in plants

100's more links just like that one

lol bottles

Pwyll

In NorCal they are pulling 5-10lbs off outdoor trees with no chemicals. Its better smoke than anything else in the world. No excuses for the Monsanto grower.

You spent any time in Kerala? I agree nothing can touch weed grown outside as nature intended

TerpeneTom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
What have you gathered and implemented into your grow from publications like these, Weird? I don't think I've ever seen your feeding schedule/routine. I'd love to hear of it if you care to share :)

And I'm like Lapides : "Bottle fed and unable to ween"