What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED suggestions needed friends

Koondense

Veteran
These led bulbs are great for small scale, not in the most efficent range though. Roughly 100lm/W, quantum boards and cobs are in 150-190lm/W range so almost twice more light.

I believe in variety so would pick the 2spydrx + 2redwoodQB(3000K for flowering) fixtures.

Cheers

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Lights are a sensible place to invest well. The backwards chinese cheapo lights will grow plants (as will cfl) but you aren't getting the efficiency or quality you can get from a well designed product with a thorough spectral output.

Also I wouldn't be confident that some of these cheap rigs won't spontaneously combust and at least if that happens I want to really bollock the company and what is the point with something sold to you an the basis of price over quality. You just get what you pay for in life.

EvergreenState

Lights are a sensible place to invest well. The backwards chinese cheapo lights will grow plants (as will cfl) but you aren't getting the efficiency or quality you can get from a well designed product with a thorough spectral output.

Also I wouldn't be confident that some of these cheap rigs won't spontaneously combust and at least if that happens I want to really bollock the company and what is the point with something sold to you an the basis of price over quality. You just get what you pay for in life.

I got an inexpensive Marsh Hydro rig, made in China, that is very well made and is performing great. They make some more expensive rigs that look like really nice pieces.
I think people could be missing out on some great values if they look at a product, made in China, could be dangerous, inexpensive and be scared away. The quality of construction is excellent on my piece and I think I got an incredible bargain for the price I paid.
I was reading another thread where a guy bought a made in America piece, well thought of, I think $1200 each and he blew two drivers in his first grow. The company was good and sent out new replacement units right away but 2 blown drivers right off the bat?
Each situation is different and you can't make general statements like, made in China, cheap, dangerous. My, less than $100 rig, does veg. and flower , is very well made and is functioning perfectly, buds look great and I'm happy.

buzzmobile

Veteran
Buzzmobile are you from Gardenscure? Name seems familiar as thats the forum I started on many years ago, and remember a buzz guy who loved preying mantis. I actually tried look up the forum yesterday to look at old pics as havent used forums in years. Anywho, have any pics or things you can tell my about sypdrx +? Like tips to maximize it. How far down canopy it gets plants to produce well. I know to get dimmer. My veg 8lamps will be mix t5 veg lamps, 5500k led t5 lamps, and hortilux t5 powerveg for uv to ease transition to spydr in flower.. eventually propably get cobs for veg

Hello, @FliP:tiphat:, nice to see you again. GardensCure is long gone but there are members scattered to and fro.
I'm not so sure you need the dimmer but it is a nice option to have. The SpydrxPlus did not have any ill effects on my plants when I installed it. I was concerned that switching from HPS to LED would cause problems but surprisingly the plants never missed a beat. The only burn came when a leaf actually stayed in contact with the light bar. At one inch above plant top there is no burn. All of the extra lighting you are planning for veg is not necessary. Get one Spydr for veg and one for flower.

Room temperatures are down and bud quality is up. Power consumption is down and bud quantity is up. I try to keep my plants trimmed so that there's not more than 24" of bud material to light.

I'll get some pictures up shortly for you.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Nobody with good sense would buy something like spydr and all that overpriced shit...

Best recommendation youve got so far.

Rapidled,com horticulturelightinggroup,com

cobs {rapidled}, and quantum boards {HLG}..... No point in spending double the money for someone to use a screwdriver.

*EDIT*
Solstrips, and SolSheets are THE best option for money, AND performance. Hands down

Fleur du Mal

check out SolStrips

check out SolStrips

Nobody with good sense would buy something like spydr and all that overpriced shit...

Seconded. White LED DIY and kit builds are killing it in growrooms these days. No need to buy Chinese blurple crap or $2500 Spydrs. You can get top performance at a third of the price.

If you're looking at quantum boards and COBs, you should look at LED strip systems as well. You might want to check out SolStrip components, kits and light systems (solstrip.com) for DIY and assembled lights based on the same LED and PCB technology as quantum boards, at a third to half the cost.

buzzmobile

Veteran

And so it goes.

attachment.php

Attachments

• P6221544.jpg
    P6221544.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 19
  • P6221538.jpg
    P6221538.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 21
  • P6221539.jpg
    P6221539.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 22
  • P6221542.jpg
    P6221542.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 24
  • P6221541.jpg
    P6221541.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
They are good lights, but horrible price is all im saying... You dont gotta worry about bout taking it personal.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Heres a photo of 3' penetration from a Lush LED. micromole per joule is 1 thing, but thats a marketing tool that ignores spectrum. but I dont think the results from this spectrum lie.
picture.php

picture.php

FliP

The spyderx is $1500 not 2500.. not much more than Qb. The lush seems nice, and i have a buddy who likes his but its stuck between two DEs. Im just not looking for anything purple, or anything thats all concentrated in a small panel amd has to be hung high like a lush or spectrum king (steals space that could be used in a tent).

Im going to set aside two of the 4x8 flower tents for new lights. Either do one x2 spyderx and other x2 Qb, or a tent of all one or mix of two, and other tent x3 315lec with sunlight nutron reflector and galaxy ballast (horizontal)

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Even the Majestic LED they advertise on here in the banners... They use 15w cobs with 12,000k and 2200k spectrum {2:1 red:blue}....... That has a killer spread like the Spydr nice, and even too but maybe a little more unique spectrum $1400. 600w super efficient draw.... Worth a look for sure.

FluidFlux

HydroGrow, Mars hydro and other blurple LEDs are NOT quality lights.
Dr. young has a good point if you get a kit to assemble yourself you save a lot of money and if you get a kit for the same amount as SpydrX it will be much more powerful...
Now you may not want to run it at 1500 watts, but if you have a 1500 watt light and run it at 700w effieciency goes up by a lot... thus saving even more money in the long run...

You can learn more about LED lighting in relation to cannabis cultivation by watching Growmau5's videos than searching through icmag forums.. I guarantee it!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPSwmwj8ZLXObtBJmz-76rw/videos

He talks about Prices, Efficiency, Compatibility and Quality... All relevant whether you're building a light from scratch, getting a kit or a finished light!

Absolutely great content!
I wouldn't recommend buying any light without watching his videos first!

Fleur du Mal

What FluidFlux said. Only thing I'd add is that Growmau is a bit late to the LED strip party. Especially if you are looking to save headspace in the growroom. SolSheets have a 2 inch vertical profile, and can sit 6-12 inches above the canopy without bleaching or burning, or turning the corners to larf. Two X's will rock a 4x4 space for under $600, with natural white light that matches the Spydrs technicals on spectrum and output, and delivers better performance on product. Get a Spydr if you want to brag about your light, get a SolSheet if you want to brag about your bud.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Yeah, I'm not sure how Ive forgot about Sol... Easily the best option for led technology right now. For $1200 Having 4 of those would pump out the most serious 5'x5' or 6'x6' this website has seen.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
If you don't want to DIY, the Fluence is an excellent choice. Solid light with an excellent spectrum. If you are comfortable with a little DIY, then the SolStrips are the way to go. I've been using them with great results.

Here is a 9-strip ladder I built. It's about 320-watts with two spectrums (6 2700K and 3 5000K on separate drivers).
picture.php

Here is a bud shot from some Grass Monkey I just finished in there. I pulled 7 oz. In a 30"×30"x30" grow box using only 200 watts. Notice the tops are mere inches from the lights.
picture.php

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
dayum I wish their shipping to the UK wasn't so high!

I might just buy the strips then and make a diy system.. thanks for mentioning about solstrips guys :ying:

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
I'm a newb to LED lighting, but I have to recommend RapidLed Mass Medical Strains light kit...got two of them, but I only have one up and running so far. One 4x4 canopy is plenty to light up a 5x5 space, mixed spectrum w/potentiometers for each driver/rail...two of these canopies are going to work absolutely perfect for my space if I can get them dialed in.

Took a bit for me to build the first canopy because I'm new to LED kits, but it wasn't that hard and the light is fooking bright...had to turn down the lights to half strength for my seedlings, but they're loving it so far...super fast shipping, less heat, mixed spectrum which is supposed to be good for veg and flower, solid modular construction...can't really complain yet.

RapidLED's customer service is top notch...very responsive. I stripped one of the heatsinks and they sent me a new one with a pack of extra hardware the next day.

HB.