What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gala, golden delicious, pink lady, grannies

St. Phatty

I planted about 18 apple trees last year, with an in-adequate deer fence. They were stripped of leaves and branches about once a week, by deer, all summer long. So that was definitely animal food.

Maybe 10 of them survived that.

This year I planted about 20 more fruit trees, and gave them each a 6 foot deer fence.

I have 3 apple tree plants from seed. Not grafts. They may work out great, but if they're off or mushy the apples would also make good animal food. Maybe not for deer, but for bugs and chickens and possums. And maybe skunks and raccoons.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I have 3 apple tree plants from seed. Not grafts. They may work out great, but if they're off or mushy the apples would also make good animal food. Maybe not for deer, but for bugs and chickens and possums. And maybe skunks and raccoons.

deer, bears, squirrels, coons, blue jays & other birds, lots of stuff likes apples. if left on the ground, you will attract buttloads of wasps, yellowjackets and hornets too.

St. Phatty

deer, bears, squirrels, coons, blue jays & other birds, lots of stuff likes apples. if left on the ground, you will attract buttloads of wasps, yellowjackets and hornets too.

I'm thinking of planting blueberry plants. But I was thinking I should plant them outside the deer fence, because they might attract bears.

If I plant them inside the deer fence with the 3 apricot trees in that area, I'm pretty sure a bear will destroy the not so robust improvised fence I'm using to keep the deer away from the apricot trees.

Latest posts

Latest posts