What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chicken shit 💩

G

Well chicken manure if you prefer.

Last year I bought a small bag of Espoma Chicken Manure and was going to buy some more. Anyone else use this or another easily sourced packaged chicken manure? I do NOT have a easy and discreet source such as a poultry farm and must source via big box stores or Amazon. I see another few brands available but Espoma seems to have a good name in the home gardener community not just cannabis. 35 pound bag will last me a year including amending my container vegies outside next spring I hope. I want to add some to my current soil in a couple months for a good N source when this grow is done and I empty my pots and mix it all with my remaining soil and a few other things before retesting with Spectrum for next indoor grow starting late January.

growingcrazy

If your just using it as an N source I would find a different source.

Manure should really be used to add biology to the soil. A dried bagged product isn't making that happen. You can't replace good composted manure... Jidoka seems to like sup-r-green if you want a bagged product.

Never mind the fact that they were most likely fed GMO feed and lived in a cage until they were culled..

G

If your just using it as an N source I would find a different source.

Manure should really be used to add biology to the soil. A dried bagged product isn't making that happen. You can't replace good composted manure... Jidoka seems to like sup-r-green if you want a bagged product.

Never mind the fact that they were most likely fed GMO feed and lived in a cage until they were culled..

I was planning on using about 1/2-1 cup per CF along with Steamed Bone meal, Kelp meal and gypsum. Letting it sit for a few weeks and test it. Seems the Espoma has a nice NPK balance by itself. Just that everywhere I read it's known mainly for N.
I'm not brand loyal I just am looking for a good product that I can get my hands on easily.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do what you can with what you have available. Can't be ordering biodynamic 25kg bags of compost in the mail.

Haven't used Espoma but I know a variety of cannabis and pepper growers like their products.

militia420

Do what you can with what you have available. Can't be ordering biodynamic 25kg bags of compost in the mail.

Haven't used Espoma but I know a variety of cannabis and pepper growers like their products.

I wonder what farmers from 100 years ago would think of us all today having shit shipped through the mail to grow our plants....shit..in the mail...

djonkoman

Veteran
I use it.

there used to be an older knowledgable outdoor grower(passed away by now, unfortunatly) on a dutch forum who recommended chickenshit.
at the time I searched for it but could only get big bags of a fertilizer at a farmer store/gardencenter that was mainly chickenshit, but also had some other stuff in it(some cow shit, and some plant-wasteproducts, I think it was seedcake left after pressing for oil).

but a few years ago I discovered there's a cheap chain-store around here(action) that sells handy 1 kg packages of pure dried chickenshit. they don't have it all year round, but spring-summer there's plenty.

they disguised it a bit on the lable that it's just chickenshit. the lable just says something like 'organic fertilizer', and they carry different versions('for vegetables and herbs', ' for rhododendron', etc), with slightly different prices(I think the cheapest is 60 or 70 cents for 1 kg). but if you read the fineprint on the sides with npk-info etc, it's all just the same chickenmanure with no other ingredients.

in gardening it's indeed mainly known for N, because compared to other manures it's rich in N that's pretty quickly available(compared to other manures). because birds don't piss and shit seperately, so all the N that with other animals is in the urine and therefor doesn't end up in the manure, is in the manure with chickens. but therefor it's also easier to overdo it with chickenmanure, it's quiet 'hot'.

Last edited:

The Joker1

Chicken manure is great stuff. Twice a year I buy composted chicken manure and spread it on my outdoor yards and veggies . Maybe 30 cubic feet. Plants love it regardless of the source. I’ve left bags outdoors for a year then spread that . The plants react the same. It’s full of microbes and a good source of N . Indoors, I would tread lightly. I did a pain in the ass water only organic soil mix for years and never used chicken manure inside . Even composted , it’s hot. I only top dress with it.
Where I live we have grow shops. I now buy 420 mix . It’s got all that stuff in there already. Organic growing doesn’t have to be a time consuming pain in the ass unless that’s what you need it to be. They have soil mixes at local nursery with soils from Master Nursery that have chicken manure , bone meal etc in it. I’m not sure if you have a micro grow or storage space but you can store in a 5 gallon pail with lid etc. I’m about to get 6 cubic feet now for my yard. For a lot less hassle , a decent premixed soil and Age Old nutes will give great result with a lot less effort. Get some bat guano or B udswel and your gold.

Last edited:

DRM Ranch

I have my own chickens and use last years waste to amend everything from the culinary herbs to the herb we smoke, I also feed by top dressing several trees and hedges.

Prior to having my own chickens I did buy a bag or two a couple times a year, it seemed to me that lots of compost was mixed in with what I was buying which is not at all like what I get from the chicken coop and runs.

As for how well it worked/works, if it is easy for you to get I would say you will be satisfied.

It will green up your plants quickly, and you can obviously get it by mail...

Is it tree hugger friendly, not likely. If you donate money to save puppies and kittens and plant a tree every year on arbor day maybe pass on this form of shit in a bag.

Earthworm castings are another alternative that shouldn't piss off the wood elves and hippies all that much.

Rabbit shit is a pretty good alternative as well though the source could be a bunch of meat rabbits that much like chickens spent their entire lives in 2'×2' cages...

Personally I'd look on Craigslist and try to find someone who has a few of their own chickens and offer to pick up the waste say every other week. Buy a few 5 gallon buckets and you are set.

BerrySeal

Don't care where you live somone is selling eggs nearby.. If they got eggs they got chicken shit. Some grandma feeding stale bread and grasshoppers. Beats whatever the barns are feeding.

The grass is always greener around the chicken coop.. The weed is always meaner