What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

FIRST TIME YOU TRIED COLUMBIAN GOLD ?

DickAnubis

77' or 78' It was a standard in the NY metro area. Small buds, golden brown, very active high. Strictly day time run around weed.
I have to agree about flavor back then. It seemed there were only a couple of distinctions.
Dirt blech, resiny sting of Panama Red, Soft on the tongue mellow.
We didn't use descriptions like "Corky yet spineless" or "Exuberant filligree of fruit and broccoli".
That was reserved for Wino nerds.
Of course now we are spoiled or fortunate IMO that we can choose and breed for taste as well as buzz.
It does go too far at times.

SO anyway Columbian Gold, which was often a catch-all for Acapulco or other golden bud was in abundance.
My first zee I believe cost me $25, QP's were $80.
People might think these times are over-the-moon.
But today we can get quality beans for around the same price and if we know what we're doing grow enough to make even 1970's prices seem too high.
If I can grow ten White Castles and I paid $50 for the beans, with cloning, et al I could keep myself in weed ad infinitum.
Take that 1977 dime bag, which by the way produced ten joints, not tooth pick either.
I'm yabbling, it must be the Mystic.
The 70's were great and I'm glad I was there.
But I'm having just as much fun today.

Smoke on glorious ones.

DA

Cmobile9

My dad use to grow Columbian gold outside in New Jersey summer Or philly? He said the C. Gold was a little bitty plant about knee high and I think he said golden color too. Had too have been in the 60s or 70s.

I want some of those seeds!!!

It was in the 70s. Cerebral giggly mind expanding high.....expanded immensely in your lungs when toked. I still have original seed stock from then. Also old seed stock of panama and lambsbread. Going to germinate some this year.....it has been 7 years since I grew any.....Got caught up with the connoisseur breeds for years plus a strain of cross breed that I have been working on for 5 seasons.

idiit

Veteran
my experiences were pretty much dead on with the prior posts.

one important attribute was "no tolerance build up issues". yes, ppl wanted to try something different. yes, some of the Acapulco gold, panama red and thai was better.

you constantly hear about tolerance build up issues now. does anyone remember smoking a bowl or two of "back in the day" primo and not getting high after the first couple smoke outs?
I don't. everyone was getting ripped and staying ripped. some stuff was 1/2 joint weed for two ppl.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
I guess that would have been in 72 or 73, on the east coast while in D.C. ... Only got my hands on it once or twice a year though.

Lots of good strains to grow these days. lol

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not to crap in this thread but as the above poster said, many great strains to enjoy now. Sativas can be had that are close to what I had back then and grown indoors correctly, do not lack much from the tropical grown ones.

Good old days were fine but these are better.

Oh man, I came of age smoking Columbian Gold at 11-12 years old, back in about 72. Six finger ounces for $30. By the late 70's it hit $400 lb good CG and then quality started going downhill. I remember cracking compressed keys in 79 and pouring out 1/2 - 1lb of seeds from the middle of the bricks and price was up to 7-800.

You always knew a toker from all the bone holes all over their car seats. lol. Brings back so many vivid memories that I thought were lost, Flashbacks, Yes Sir, columbian Gold was the real thing! CG was one beautiful smoke, sandalwood spice and smooth man, oh so smooth! Santa Marta Gold, YA BABY!!!

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
First time 1975, last time this morning. For me highland grown Colombian is weed and everything else is an exotic runner up. Pure Colombians maintain low tolerance and always leave you for the better. Colombian speaks for itself.

red rider

Norcalsun

Early '70's, Sant Marta Gold. Gold "cat turd" buds, tasted similar to Lebanese blonde hash- had that great hashish expando. Very strong high, started out with the uplifting "giggles" then spaced you out for hrs. Got most of it from old school '60's Hippies for around $30oz. Never found anything similar since, and believe me I've looked.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ I had it too and have found Panama Red from ACE to give me a similar high. Look into ACE or Cannbiogen for sativas and use a hid or white LED, some uvb from a lizard lamp would help too.

johnny n.

I would just like to hear your thoughts and opinions on this strain of those of you who tried the real deal back in the 60s and 70s when it was popular. Could you possibly describe the high and what you personally loved about this strain ? and also how did it compare to what else you were smoking back then. ? maybe some of you didnt like it. Many thanks.

columbian gold, took my first hit of it in cleveland, 1970. it was the hashiest tasting pot ive ever smoked. at the time there was the gold and panama red, if i had a time machine, thats where i would go.
its hard to define the high because, well, its 45 years ago and i was really high at the time!

minds_I

Veteran
77' or 78' It was a standard in the NY metro area. Small buds, golden brown, very active high. Strictly day time run around weed.
I have to agree about flavor back then. It seemed there were only a couple of distinctions.
Dirt blech, resiny sting of Panama Red, Soft on the tongue mellow.
We didn't use descriptions like "Corky yet spineless" or "Exuberant filligree of fruit and broccoli".
That was reserved for Wino nerds.
Of course now we are spoiled or fortunate IMO that we can choose and breed for taste as well as buzz.
It does go too far at times.

SO anyway Columbian Gold, which was often a catch-all for Acapulco or other golden bud was in abundance.
My first zee I believe cost me $25, QP's were $80.
People might think these times are over-the-moon.
But today we can get quality beans for around the same price and if we know what we're doing grow enough to make even 1970's prices seem too high.
If I can grow ten White Castles and I paid $50 for the beans, with cloning, et al I could keep myself in weed ad infinitum.
Take that 1977 dime bag, which by the way produced ten joints, not tooth pick either.
I'm yabbling, it must be the Mystic.
The 70's were great and I'm glad I was there.
But I'm having just as much fun today.

Smoke on glorious ones.

DA

what he said

johnny n.

'72. Bright gold colored. It was sold under the name Acapulco Gold, but who knows? May well have been grown in Columbia.

the acapulco and columbian were not the same, acapulco couldnt hold a candle to columbian gold or panama red, from what i remember, been a long time.

MicroRoy

High school 1975.

It sure did make me happy.Always smiling.
I sure would like to find some of that today.

Homegro

Had some Columbian Gold in 1983 at MIT, just arrived and was settling into the dorm, heard a guy going down the hall asking if anyone wanted to buy some weed. I bought some and it was some of the best pot I had smoked at that point of my life. Great memories.

chip1965

I would just like to hear your thoughts and opinions on this strain of those of you who tried the real deal back in the 60s and 70s when it was popular. Could you possibly describe the high and what you personally loved about this strain ? and also how did it compare to what else you were smoking back then. ? maybe some of you didnt like it. Many thanks.
It was 1977 on a very starry night, I was 12 y.o.
My older brother, david who was 21 at the time was taking me to Bakersfield to a family reunion. I always bugged him that i was experienced and could smoke pot . I smoked a few times before and wanted him to know i was older.
He opened the ashtray in the car as we were driving and pulled out a little pinner joint.
''So...you want to get hi with your big bro,. huh?! Lets smoke this''. I said ''cool'', and he fired it up.
We smoked that whole pinner as we drove on that dark HWY. to Bakersfield.
The stars were out...sooo many that you could hardly see between them and me on a 'high'...slumped in the seat tripping on the stars in wonder, such a cool high at such a young age.
David asked me if i wanted to smoke the second one knowing full well I was high as a kite, I took it well and said no, as i chuckled at the idea.
I never smoked anything as close to the taste of Colombian Gold. It was like smoking a steak , rich, flavorful, and a taste of pot I will NEVER forget.
Though it went well...David maybe should have not gotten his lil' brother stoned. [/COLOR]

EastFortRock

1978. The c. Gold was about all you could get for a while in my Midwestern USA area. Incense taste and smell. No green smell at all. Nice buzz , but probably only 1/3 as strong as modern good stuff. It disappeared about 1980 and different kinds of Colombian showed up and most of it was low quality (commercial was kind of a slang name for lower quality), but some were way strong like today's weed. 1981 was when NorCal sinsemilla showed up , I thought it tasted inferior to good Colombian.