What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Orchid growers

Very nice to look at orchids, especially ones growing wild in bloom. I've been an orchid nut since I was 13. Right now, I have a BLC. Yellow Bird that's shooting up flower spikes, and an LC. Drumbeat Heritage, (hopefully flowering this year).

S

scai

picture.php

She is so beautiful, has been with me for three years now and always flowers once a year.

Beautiful plants people, enjoy of fruit of your hands ;)

love Scai

S

scai

Cattleya and Dendrobium

Cattleya and Dendrobium

Cattleya mossiae var alba
picture.php

picture.php

lc00p4

STORM-TROOPA
Veteran
Nice.

Mossiae has a lot of interesting history and significance to it. Venezuela's national flower! Second unifoliate Cattleya discovered too. Introduced in ~1838 and was available for purchase, unlike labiata, which was harder to source. Lots of awards and the backbone to many modern hybrids. Well done on the plant and looks like quite a specimen judging from all the growths. Should carry some nice value too. Is it a particular clone?

That last pic looks like Dendrobium Sailor Boy 'Pinky'. First orchid I ever bloomed and has a sweet floral scent IIRC.

inspectordabbit

Since this thread has been dug up... I'm looking for a crash-course in Orchids and am wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. I'm a quick study and hate to waste time on misinformation -- figured someone in here would know of a reliable resource to get me started.

Thanks!

Just subbed this thread. I'm a big fan but don't have any of my own anymore. My dad has a huge collection. My favorites are the lady slippers! Inspector I will look for the name of the book my dad uses. His are fairly low maintenance. I know this much:

Use orchid mix to pot, let them crawl out
When watering soak them then let drain
Orchid fertilizer maybe twice a year
Never let plants get too cold although cold then warm at right time promotes blooming
Indirect sunlight

I will get some pics of my pops

Peace

blastfrompast

Veteran
My opa had quite the collection when he could still maintain his orchid room in the basement...150+ different Phal's alone

Cool looking one was one some dracula orchid...

Sadly every one he gave me I would either just about kill or outright kill...the ones that were on death's doorstep, I would give my wife's aunt who had a really good knack for them..

He probably has mebbe 30 left in a sunroom as he no longer could make it down the stairs to his growroom...Upside he gave me all his gear :)

tea_is_back

pot°grapher
ICMag Donor
Veteran
do you know the dendrobium nobile orchid? specially the one with the orange leafs will give you a nice turn.
picture.php

the plant gives a cannabis similar turn if you consume it. at first i tried to smoke the leaves and whowhoo...it turns. and all other parts of the plant,too.
also you can make a nice tea from the dried plant parts (6-15g per cup) and you will feel a mostly similar turn like on cannabis.
and no, i do not found it. it's an old chinese medicin and that is one of my interests:
more to read about it:
Chen, S.; Li, Y.; Wu, Y.; Zhou, Z.; Sun, L. (1995), Effect of Dendrobium nobile Lindl. on gastric acid secretion, serum gastrin and plasma somatostatin concentration, Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi. 20(3): 181-121.

Chittendon, F. (1951), RHS Dictionary of Plants plus Supplement, Oxford University Press

Duke, James A. (1992), Handbook of phytochemical constituents of Gras herbs and other economic plants, Boca Raton FL: CRC Press

Hiller, Karl; Melzig, Matthias F. (2003), Lexikon der Arzneipflanzen und Drogen, Berlin/Heidelberg: Spektrum Akademischer Verlag

Hu, Shui-Ying (1970), Dendrobium in Chinese Medicine, Economic Botany 24: 165-174.

Huxley. A. (1992), The New RHS Dictionary of Gardening, MacMillan Press

Shu, Y.; Zhang, D.M.; Guo, S.X. (2004), A new sesquiterpene glycoside from Dendrobium nobile Lindl., Journal of Asian Natural Products Research 6(4): 311-314.

Stuart, G. A. (o.J.), Chinese Materia Medica. Taipei. Southern Materials Centre

Ye, Q.H.; Zhao, W.M.; Qin, G.W. (2003), New fluorenone and phenanthrene derivatives from Dendrobium chrysanthum, Natural Product Research 17(3): 201-205.

Zhao, W.; Ye, Q.; Tan, X.; Jiang, H.; Li, X.; Chen, K.; Kinghorn, A.D. (2001), Three new sesquiterpene glycosides from Dendrobium nobile with immunomodulatory Activity, Journal of Natural Products 64(9): 1196-200.

greetz,tea:coffee:

A love them best place to get them is
Nardoto is 1 italian producer.
Or have sum well know french one possible
Find all thé 1 you need!!!