What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are you drinking?

moose eater

It seems I sucked in a 1/2 bottle of Montecillo, a good cheap Rioja daily wine. A bottle usually lasts a wee bit longer. But then I made dinner for 4 - Caesar salad from scratch, breaded pork schnitzel and oven potatoes. I deserve the damn wine . . . ;) And I was smoking some Ice Cool Auto and some Ice Cool hash for a chaser.
Some tasks and obligations merit that extra sip.

I can blame the next couple months on tax time, trip preparations, vehicle repairs, and egotistical snowflake auto repair shop people.

Your reference to schnitzel, however, reminded me, when we were in The Hague, we stopped at a tavern for lunch and a beer, some place between the Peace Palace and an art house, and we had something that was shaped like a hotdog (though definitely wasn't a hotdog), but breaded, somewhat crispy exterior, and inside was a grayish creamy sauce with (possibly) a cheese(s) involved, maybe some sort of meat (not sure), like it was breaded and fried.

Amazing stuff. Looked back -very- fondly upon 32 years later.

I'd give $20 to someone who could accuratelty ID that item, and another $10 or $20 for a recipe that recreated it to some semblance of what it was we ate there..

Last edited:

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Some tasks and obligations merit that extra sip.

I can blame the next couple months on tax time, trip p[reparations, vehicle repairs, and egotistical snowflake auto repair shop people.

Your reference to schnitzel, however, reminded me, when we were in The Hague, we stopped at a tavern for lunch and a beer, some place between the Peace Palace and an art house, and we had something that was shaped like a hotdog (though definitely wasn't a hotdog), but breaded, somewhat crispy exterior, and inside was a grayish creamy sauce with (possibly) a cheese(s) involved, maybe some sort of meat (not sure), like it was breaded and fried.

Amazing stuff. Looked back -very- fondly upon 32 years later.

I'd give $20 to someone who could accuratelty ID that item, and another $10 or $20 for a recipe that recreated it to some semblance of what it was we ate there..

You just described almost every Dutch croquette, more or less.

They tend to use a meat ragout instead of the meat directly so it's going to take a little research and a few guesses.

Broodjekroket or satékroket are popular variations of the traditional kroket.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
It might have been a Jägerschnitzel or something similar. Pounded and breaded pork schnitzel is the food of the people in Eastern Europe. Veal (weiner) is for the richer countries. My wife is Hungarian and it seem that they are born with a mallet in one hand and a big ass bottle of paprika in the other. If you really want it to be original, cook it in lard.

moose eater

You just described almost every Dutch croquette, more or less.

They tend to use a meat ragout instead of the meat directly so it's going to take a little research and a few guesses.

Broodjekroket or satékroket are popular variations of the traditional kroket.
There wasn't too much solid texture in the center, like a sausage would have. More creamy, and an amazing flavor.

If either of you nails it, where would you like the money sent? :)

If TBD comes up with the accurate recreation of said meal first, it'll be more like $26 or $27 CAD, due to exchange rates (though I haven't checked them in a few weeks now).

There's also the possibility of in-kind barter, but that would be best reserved for the US only; sorry TBD. :)

I've waited ~31-1/2 years for this knowledge, so a bit of a wait longer won't harm me at all. :)

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I believe that it is a crime in Hungary to put any sauce on schnitzel. Squeezed lemon and salt are allowed and nothing else. My goal is always to cook it so it puffs - when the breading separates from the meat to make it puffy. Lower temps are the key but not too low to saturate the breading. It is harder than it sounds . . .

And to stay on topic, I have now graduated to El Dorado rum and Coke . . . :rasta:

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I'm working for the love of food!

Yes the inside of the kroketten I refer to are like a thick gravy with bits of meat in it.

I'm hungry for either schnitzel or kroketten now!

moose eater

I believe that it is a crime in Hungary to put any sauce on schnitzel. Squeezed lemon and salt are allowed and nothing else. My goal is always to cook it so it puffs - when the breading separates from the meat to make it puffy. Lower temps are the key but not too low to saturate the breading. It is harder than it sounds . . .

And to stay on topic, I have now graduated to El Dorado rum and Coke . . . :rasta:
I switched to French Roast coffee with half & half. I have to try and accomplish something today, beyond taking out the compost to the bin.

Sounds like MMM is onto what ever it was we ate.

chilliwilli

Waterboy

In austria too. We look with disgust at the germans when they have their schnitzel drowned in "tunke". Who in the world would work hard for a puffed breading and then destroy that crispy beauty with sauce.

moose eater

Water. Ice cold tap water. But when it sits it smells like spiders???
Don't know how long your H2O was sitting, but when I leave a glass/jar of reverse osmosis H2O sitting, the 'void' of anything particulate or mineral in the water seems to attract the flavor of dust, particulates, whatever, more readily from the air.

After letting it sit a couple to 3 days on my night stand (not a regular habit) it tastes very much different. And that's sitting in glass, so it's not apt to be coming from the vessel, and more likely related to the homeostasis of all things in nature seeking a balance of what ever variable is in question.

Last edited:

moose eater

So . . . you brewed your very own Eau de Moose? :cool:
Thinking about bottling in small batches and marketing. But it has the distinct essence of pet dander, silt particulates, dust, and home cooking.

Not likely loaded with the pheromones the younger generation would be seeking for a good night out on the town.

Haven't tried it on the plants yet. A bit afraid to, frankly.

The dogs don't try to drink from the 1-quart glass jars I use, so that might be an indicator. Maybe pour some into their bowls and see if they still avoid it. If so, that'd be saying something, as the GSD has been training herself to drink from the toilet (need to leave small weights on top of the lid for the GSD, and it leaves a less than pleasant thought when receiving morning 'kisses' from her). So if -she- rejects it, that might be the end of an otherwise good marketing plan.

Last edited:

mexweed

Veteran
IMG_20230129_130719.jpg

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I began laundry night in the early evening with a Filthy McPeanut from North High and followed that up with an Unrefined by Lagunita's.

Filthy McNasty is North High's Russian Imperial stout and they threw peanut butter at it.

Unrefined is a brown ale that Lagunita's drys out by adding pure unrefined cane sugar until the yeast pretty much gives up.

They're both in the neighborhood of "here take my keys" on the ABV scale..

Then I drank a pint of North High's Yakima Fresh IPA (wet hopped) and three Alpha Ambush from Fat Head's.

I'm going to read about the dangers of moderation when I wake up.