What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Q&A on new to Canada..."Double Ended" grow lights.

Buddha1

Veteran
I have heard nothing but great things about these new to Canada grow lights...But unfortunately, it is all 2nd or 3rd hand information.

The most popular story I've heard is...A grower with a 20 light room, replaced half his/her lights with the double ended(1000w Gavita brand from Europe). And left they other half of there room with standard 1000w digitals.
The results on the half with standard lamps/lights was 11lbs of dry flowers/bud produced. The results on the half with double ended lamps/lights was 16lbs of dry flowers/bud produced.

The double ended light system produced 50% more than the standard lighting system.

I don't dought these lights are better than the standard digital system that we all use now because technology has to eventally improve and because the grow shops are selling loads of these double ended lighting systems, there has to be something to them.
But this doesn't confirm or deny the story's floating around about vastly improved quality and production wieghts capable with this new growing system.

We need to open a dialogue about these new to Canada grow lights based on facts or personal experiance. If these lights are as good as I'm hearing...we all need to know about them so we can replace or ignore them based on our paticular situations. It sucks to retool your room(at considerable expense) and find out something doesn't work in your grow(I'm sure we have all been there).

I can start things off by listing the very limited info I have researched.

•They cannot be air cooled.
•They produce slightly more heat.
•They have a more natural spectrum of light that imitates the sun.
•The ballast and lamp/bulb are connected as one complete unit.
•Because of intense luminants, they have to be mounted 4-6 feet above the canopy(6 feet is the manufacturers prefered).
•They are ajustable up to 1150w
•They use 220 power(not sure about 110 power).

Please do not repeat urban legions or personal opions...only relay information that is completely factual or experianced personally. If there are any growers in Europe that have used the double ended system...please enlighten us here in Canada.

Thanks in advance to all.

Peace...B

HiFiGanja

I have heard nothing but great things about these new to Canada grow lights...But unfortunately, it is all 2nd or 3rd hand information.

The most popular story I've heard is...A grower with a 20 light room, replaced half his/her lights with the double ended(1000w Gavita brand from Europe). And left they other half of there room with standard 1000w digitals.
The results on the half with standard lamps/lights was 11lbs of dry flowers/bud produced. The results on the half with double ended lamps/lights was 16lbs of dry flowers/bud produced.

The double ended light system produced 50% more than the standard lighting system.

I don't dought these lights are better than the standard digital system that we all use now because technology has to eventally improve and because the grow shops are selling loads of these double ended lighting systems, there has to be something to them.
But this doesn't confirm or deny the story's floating around about vastly improved quality and production wieghts capable with this new growing system.

We need to open a dialogue about these new to Canada grow lights based on facts or personal experiance. If these lights are as good as I'm hearing...we all need to know about them so we can replace or ignore them based on our paticular situations. It sucks to retool your room(at considerable expense) and find out something doesn't work in your grow(I'm sure we have all been there).

I can start things off by listing the very limited info I have researched.

•They cannot be air cooled.
•They produce slightly more heat.
•They have a more natural spectrum of light that imitates the sun.
•The ballast and lamp/bulb are connected as one complete unit.
•Because of intense luminants, they have to be mounted 4-6 feet above the canopy(6 feet is the manufacturers prefered).
•They are ajustable up to 1150w
•They use 220 power(not sure about 110 power).

Please do not repeat urban legions or personal opions...only relay information that is completely factual or experianced personally. If there are any growers in Europe that have used the double ended system...please enlighten us here in Canada.

Thanks in advance to all.

Peace...B

You will get quite a bit more light from say a Gavita or Agrolux system than a standard HID light bulb. One thing I noticed is even with the extra light if you're a shitty grower you'll still get a shitty crop with the DE system.

Depending on how the room is built you will get more heat, there's no way to escape that. You want more light you create more heat.

There are systems like Growilte that have air cooled shades http://growlite.com/

I know people who didn't do that much better than standard 1000W lights and I know people who have gotten crazy extra yields even with the 600W Gavita and Agrolux.

The Gavita Pro DE can run on 120 and 240. The Agrolux atm is 240 only. If you need to budget the Agrolux system and the Gavita Classic 240 only are much cheaper than the Gavita Pro DE.

They don't have to be 6 feet hight but for the 1000W at least 3 feet and about 30 inches for the 600W.

Buddha1

Veteran
You will get quite a bit more light from say a Gavita or Agrolux system than a standard HID light bulb. One thing I noticed is even with the extra light if you're a shitty grower you'll still get a shitty crop with the DE system.

Depending on how the room is built you will get more heat, there's no way to escape that. You want more light you create more heat.

There are systems like Growilte that have air cooled shades http://growlite.com/

I know people who didn't do that much better than standard 1000W lights and I know people who have gotten crazy extra yields even with the 600W Gavita and Agrolux.

The Gavita Pro DE can run on 120 and 240. The Agrolux atm is 240 only. If you need to budget the Agrolux system and the Gavita Classic 240 only are much cheaper than the Gavita Pro DE.

They don't have to be 6 feet hight but for the 1000W at least 3 feet and about 30 inches for the 600W.

Thank you.

•What would you recommend...the 1000w or more 600K??

•What are the foot print of both the 1000w and 600K??

Peace...B

HiFiGanja

Go with Gavita or Agrolux but I would go with the real Philips DE bulbs as even though Gavita says theirs are re-branded Philips 1000W and 600W but I don't believe that and the Philips bulbs I can get much cheaper then the Gavita ones WTF?

One more thing there is another wholesaler coming to Vancouver area that will also carry Gavita and not just be locked into one supplier anymore so hopefully the price will drop some as I hear in Canada we get jacked on the wholesale price VS the US even with the exchange rate..

HiFiGanja

Thank you.

•What would you recommend...the 1000w or more 600K??

•What are the foot print of both the 1000w and 600K??

Peace...B

ATM its hard to say as like I stated some people just never got batter results and some quite a bit better and continued to keep getting those results.

One thing that was constant is more crystal production and way less popcorn buds at the bottom as they seem to get much bigger.

I have a guy that just picked up 36 600W Gavita classics (240V only) so will see how he does as this is going from 1000W to all 600W.

The 1000W will cover 5x5 area the 600W is still 3x3/4x4 area. If you are getting 1.5LB + with a 1000W not sure if you could get that with the 600W.

HiFiGanja

Gavita = Monsanto = Fuck 'em ! sorry

Please you sound like AN Big Mike and a local hydro store chain that has their own food now and all of a sudden they keep telling anyone GH is Monsanto and made in China now lol and that their food has less salt build up.

Care to show us any legal paper work that shows Monsanto owns any part of GH or Gavita?

bigbag

Veteran
If business folks choose to sell their souls, then more power to 'em ! that said, I do routinely pull 4 lb's + from 3, 600w Gavitas ;)
ps, the facts that Gavita / GH = Scott's/ Monsanto, and Gavita getting burned manufacturing in China, whilst saying made in Holland is common knowledge but I digress

Buddha1

Veteran
Gavita = Masanto = Fuck'em ! sorry

If business folks choose to sell their souls, then more power to 'em ! that said,

I do routinely pull 4 lb's + from 3, 600w Gavitas ;)

ps, the facts that Gavita / GH = Scott's/ Monsanto, and Gavita getting burned manufacturing in China, whilst saying made in Holland is common knowledge but I digress

I don't understand your point...Your sending a mixed message.

In your 1st post you say..."Fuck'em !"

In your last post you state...I do routinely pull 4 lb's + from 3 600w Gavitas"

Which is it??...You endorse Gavitas or Hate them cause there shit...Or are you just trolling a thread for kicks. Seems to me 4 lb's plus routinely from 1800w is pretty decent.

To be clear...I'm not slamming you...I really want you 2 clarify your stance.

Peace...B

mdgg4

i've ran epaps, nanoluxDE, phantomDE, and galaxyDE ballasts with a variety of reflectors and bulbs. Bar none DE's shit on single ended, I have never pulled a yeild under conventional hid than I do DE's. I've personally pulled 8+ pounds on a 10' scrog under 4000w de. If your system is dialed there is no problem pulling 2# per light. Your par value goes way up with de's. Me myself personally I think both have advantages and disadvantages. DE's can't be ran vertically, but on the other end I think a well tuned vertical setup with conventional hid is possible of achieving the same yields. I personally think that vertical achieves higher yeilds but de's can't achieve that. But if they could...,

PEACE!

Jonny Lan

Seems to me 4 lb's plus routinely from 1800w is pretty decent.

Peace...B

I agree i just pulled a little over 2.75 pounds with 1800w single ended a few months ago and i would love to see a little increase in yield myself.

I'm running a couple of air cooled DE lights. Adjusta watt ballasts. Looks to be an improvement over single ended lights. The bulbs last a year, which is another good thing.

I don't understand your point...Your sending a mixed message.

In your 1st post you say..."Fuck'em !"

In your last post you state...I do routinely pull 4 lb's + from 3 600w Gavitas"

Which is it??...You endorse Gavitas or Hate them cause there shit...Or are you just trolling a thread for kicks. Seems to me 4 lb's plus routinely from 1800w is pretty decent.

Peace...B

Keep your gavita's, if i need more lbs i buy more space or dial in lst net with higher yielding varietals!
Talk about mixed messages!

So lots of talk about the Gavita's, but what about double-ended fixtures that run off an air cooled hood and a high frequency ballast?

I have all Solistek ballasts which run at the higher frequency and can support the DE's, so it it worth it to upgrade the hoods and jump on the wagon? DO you still need all that head room between lights and canopy?

Seems to be a lack of info on the DE alternatives to Gavitas, including lots of contradictory info that you do/don't need a high frequency ballast to properly light them.

Gavitas are all fine for you guys going full retard, but for the home grower with under 4k and limited head space different story. Are these non-Gavita DE lights + Air cooler hoods worth it? or is it a gimmick to cater to use personal production guys?

Latest posts

Latest posts