What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ProMIX VS Sunshine Mix #4

flyer

hello, so i did some search on here and have not found any comparison on promix vs. sunshine mix#4.
i have used both in the past before, and using SSM4 now (got a freebie bag from gro-store) and im liking how the SSM4 is growing.
its taking off a lot better than my coco right now.

Now my research is on which medium should i use. promix or sunshine#4. due to both are about the same price. it is a lot cheaper than coco and hydroton. and i dont have to water everyday.

i will be using GH flora series. can add additional if necessarily.
i am planning on going back to soil due to the hot summer weather, and its a lot cheaper setup than hydro. also planning on using 3 gal or 5 gal buckets. (maybe one month veg total)

any inputs are appreciated. :thank you:

P

powerrobbie

I do actually like the sunshine #4 better but there pretty much the same and since the sunshine is 10 bucks more per bale where I am located I always go with the promix because I really don't think there is much difference between the two I like how the sunshine bales are dark black though there much easier to stash in the bush then the bright white promix bags

Last edited:

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
Why exactly is soil better for you than hydro in the hot summer weather? Your reservoir gets too hot?

Catchin1

they are

they are

promix,ssm#4 are soil less mixes...........I prefer B'cuzz hydro mix........all you have to do is top feed with these.......so easy...........
:wave:

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
Just noticed while opening a bale of promix bx today...........its panda poly packaging.......white outside, black inside.......

you think they could make a version for outdoor growers with the black facing out.
Or maybe they do, and I just don't know about it.

MIway

Veteran
i find sunshine 4 has a bit more perlite

even over the hp?

these are kinda like coke, pepsi & rc... will take whichever they happen to have on tap... though i prefer coke, uncut of course... none of the extra white stuff... don't need the extra back end drainage... perlite i mean, ya know? ;-))

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
I used pro-mix for years until they started adding mycorise to it, now I'm using a product called bm1, it's cheaper than pro-mix and is the same thing really, it does not have the mycorise in it, which really seemed to only invite bugs. I always add about 30% perlite to the mix, no matter what it was.

soxaroo

I used pro-mix for years until they started adding mycorise to it, now I'm using a product called bm1, it's cheaper than pro-mix and is the same thing really, it does not have the mycorise in it, which really seemed to only invite bugs. I always add about 30% perlite to the mix, no matter what it was.

Whats this mycorise HYF? I have used sunshine #4 for quite awhile until I couldnt find any and ever since i've used pro-mix I get some kind of bug infestation also.

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
Whats this mycorise HYF? I have used sunshine #4 for quite awhile until I couldnt find any and ever since i've used pro-mix I get some kind of bug infestation also.

It's beneficial bacteria that they add to the mix. Last summer I found some pro mix MVP. Black bale, only ingredients were peat moss, perlite, and vermiculite. Maybe some lime but I can't remember.
That's why I'm using the BM1, same 3 ingredients, nothing else added!

Last edited:

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
Don't get me wrong, I liked PM for a long time, and maybe the bug thing was just a couple bad bales. But, all I really want is what is in the BM1, and some extra perlite. And it's cheaper!

I also never had access to HP, I'd give that a go, if the price was right.

flyer

Why exactly is soil better for you than hydro in the hot summer weather? Your reservoir gets too hot?
YES and room temp

promix,ssm#4 are soil less mixes...........I prefer B'cuzz hydro mix........all you have to do is top feed with these.......so easy...........
i have never use or seen anyone use that and can not take the risk to have a bad crop

these are kinda like coke, pepsi & rc... will take whichever they happen to have on tap... though i prefer coke, uncut of course... none of the extra white stuff... don't need the extra back end drainage... perlite i mean, ya know? ;-))
the "extra white stuff" is the stretch, got to use whats efficiency ;) [/QUOTE]

i thought the "mycorise" helps establish roots?

i used a small sample bag of Sunshine mix but its the yellow bag not the black bag and my starting clones takes off great! im not sure if theres any difference with the black bag (aggregate plus) and yellow(advanced mix) means. the mycro in the sunshine must helps the baby roots to take off.
i did used promix BX in the past and results didnt impressed me much. maybe im more of a hydro guy.. :/

if i were to add some extra perlite and maybe some canna coco, im thinking sunshine mix #4 is the way to go after seeing a few user on here uses that.