What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BOG Sweet Cindy & Sour Strawberry Coco Grow

Kaskadian

Veteran
Hey All,

I'm back at it... so here we go. Growing BOG's Sweet Cindy (Sweet Tooth #3 x C99 x BOG Bubble) & Sour Strawberry (BOG Sour Bubble x Strawberry Cough).

Had one slight issue on startup. Light slipped a bit and touched the seedlings so there was a little bit of stress but they've since recovered and are vegging away like beasts.

Using 70% coco + 30% perlite. Medium was pre-charged with 1/4 strength nutrients + cal/mag. I started these in 3.7L/1Gal containers.

First week they received no nutrients other than a tiny dose of cal/mag with each watering. They're being watered + fed every day now @ 1/2 strength.

Current Stats: 3 Weeks Old
PH: 5,5-5,8
PPM: 350-380
EC: 0,6
Temperature: 25,5 C/78 F

Grow Medium: 70% Coco/30% Perlite
Lighting: 8 Bulb T5 (Veg) & 600w HPS (Flower)

Plants were topped once yesterday. I will veg them further and top once or twice more before putting them into flower.

:tiphat:

Kas

Kaskadian

Veteran
Transplanted plants into 2.5gal containers. Nutrients increased to 1/2 strength.

PH: 5.6
PH Runoff: 5.8
Temps: 25.5c/78f
Lighting: T5 8 Bulb
Light Cycle: 18/6

I’d like to veg these out to 18-20” before sending them to flower.

Cheers all,

Kas

*EDIT*

Uploading from my phone seems to flip the pictures. I’ll get that sorted when I have time to sit down at my desk.

Attachments

• C0D046A6-E2EC-4A4B-A356-F814C0D62F08.jpg
    C0D046A6-E2EC-4A4B-A356-F814C0D62F08.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 98D73E50-A6B2-43A8-8551-0200CC55BC20.jpg
    98D73E50-A6B2-43A8-8551-0200CC55BC20.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 12
  • FF1814D4-8E6D-4484-9A0B-2185E688A0C3.jpg
    FF1814D4-8E6D-4484-9A0B-2185E688A0C3.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 15
  • 8E47A8EF-A529-4B0E-B993-9D15CAA59B70.jpg
    8E47A8EF-A529-4B0E-B993-9D15CAA59B70.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 11
  • D4FC2B8C-CBC4-48E5-B456-ADF5FEC9345B.jpg
    D4FC2B8C-CBC4-48E5-B456-ADF5FEC9345B.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 17

Kaskadian

Veteran
Happy looking plants. Beautiful roots. This should be fun to watch. :lurk:

Thanks! Glad to have you along for the ride. Had to raise the lights this morning as they grew up into them.

I’ll have some new pictures up tonight after I water + feed them.

Kaskadian

Veteran
Hey Folks,

Time for a quick update. Plants have responded well to being transplanted. I plan to top at least once more and do some LST work before these go into flower. No sign of sex yet, but I'm hoping for at least 3-4 females out of the 6. Plants have exploded in size since being transplanted; 48 hours later and I'm getting roots shooting through the drain holes in the larger pots.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PH: 5.7
PH: Runoff: 5.8
Light Source: T5 8 Bulbs
Nutrients: 1/2 Strength

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cheers all, thanks for stopping by! :tiphat:
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Group Shot

Sour Strawberry

Sweet Cindy

Roots

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Attachments

• bog127181.jpg
    bog127181.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 8
  • sours127181.jpg
    sours127181.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 15
  • sweet127181.jpg
    sweet127181.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 7
Everything looks happy. I’m waiting on some SSK cuts coming my way soon. I have a friend who’s sexing them and trading me for some ISP orange diesel and IC 91.
I ran Bogbubble outside last year here in Nova Scotia and it finished by Oct 1st. How was your Bogglegum from last summer?

Kaskadian

Veteran
Everything looks happy. I’m waiting on some SSK cuts coming my way soon. I have a friend who’s sexing them and trading me for some ISP orange diesel and IC 91.
I ran Bogbubble outside last year here in Nova Scotia and it finished by Oct 1st. How was your Bogglegum from last summer?

Hi KP!

Sounds like you have some exciting cuts on the way. Out of the three strains I ran outdoors last year, Bogglegum performed the best of the three. I had three BG plants in the ground, and all of them were heavy yielding. Unfortunately I had to chop 7-10 days early because of bad weather (lots of wind + rain), but the flower is still potent despite not reaching its full potential.

9DRAGONS

Super clean , and very happy plants.

they like the feed schedule, i see you running coco and perlite.
have you ever thought about using a different medium from perlite to create more air exchange within the medium.

Kaskadian

Veteran
Plants were topped again today. I'm thinking this will be the last topping but I'll see how they develop in the coming weeks. I'm looking for them to put on enough size to get ready for flower.

Yesterday plants were watered with PH'd water.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PH: 5.7
PH: Runoff: 5.8
Light Source: T5 8 Bulbs
Nutrients: N/A PH'd water
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
I've been feeding with every watering (daily), and "flushing" the medium with nothing but PH'd water once a week. Tonight they're back to 1/2 strength nutrients.

I'm getting their flower room setup now. They'll be under a 600w HPS for the first 4 weeks, and after I will add in an additional 400w HPS for the remainder of the grow. I don't plan to toss them into flower until they hit at least 18" in height.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Kaskadian

Veteran
Super clean , and very happy plants.

they like the feed schedule, i see you running coco and perlite.
have you ever thought about using a different medium from perlite to create more air exchange within the medium.

I've been growing in coco + perlite for about 8-10 years now. I've used silica stones in the bottom/medium, and I've used hydroton as well. I'm not opposed to other mediums besides perlite but it's been working out well for a long time so I haven't really found it necessary to consider other options. For a long time I grew in straight coco as well, but I like mixing in the perlite.

Since I'm watering daily until the plants receive 20-30% runoff, I find there is plenty of air being exchanged in the medium. I think this could be an issue if they weren't being watered daily.

Thanks for stopping by!

Kas :tiphat:

9DRAGONS

Hay Kaskadian, i run on mapito
and have a little experience on coco. also soil

I did use foam in my soil and coco, mixes, with bacteria and fungi breeding they do in soil, my brain was like, dam why not add foam and increase bacteria using the foam as a sponge or larger breeding ground..

of course i see people adding cork to the mix. if you can get it at a nice price then easy.

thanks again for the reply.
have great day

9DRAGONS

sorry for double post. as i can not see an edit button

second question. do you find that your drain ph can some time go to low.

for example 4.9ph

Kaskadian

Veteran
sorry for double post. as i can not see an edit button

second question. do you find that your drain ph can some time go to low.

for example 4.9ph

Hi 9D,

I usually let my water + nutrients sit for 20-30 minutes before taking a PH reading. I've had some fluctuation in PH during those 20 minutes, but rarely have I seen it drop from say 5.5 to 4.9. More commonly, my runoff will fluctuate +/- 0.1-0.2 between what goes in and what comes out. Make sure your PH meter is accurate, and make sure you're getting an accurate reading of the PH going into your medium. It shouldn't be dropping that substantially.

Today for example, the water that went into the coco was PH'd to 5.7, and my runoff was 5.8. I don't check PH daily anymore as I've been doing this long enough that I know my tap + nutrients + 2.5 ml of PH down will give me a PH of 5.7-5.8. I still check once a week and/or when I'm adjusting nutrient quantity.

It's also important to make sure new coco is properly flushed + pre-charged. Not everyone pre-charges their coco, but with the compressed bricks they're often full of salts and at least need to be thoroughly flushed with PH'd water to remove those salts.

9DRAGONS

ye, i have a couple of ph meters, as they can always be trusted.
what i did notice is that my water from the tap is a constant. so some time the calibration of the ph meter starts freaking out.

i notice ph meter can give different reading at different temp of water.

so i cross reference between a couple of meter till i am happy.

i do notice that, when the plant suck up the P in the nutrients that you get a much bigger shift in return ph / drain

hope that makes sense

starke

Kaskadian: Very happy looking plants. Looks like you have your method dialed.

9DRAGONS: You will be able to edit after you reach 50 posts.

Kaskadian

Veteran
Kaskadian: Very happy looking plants. Looks like you have your method dialed.

9DRAGONS: You will be able to edit after you reach 50 posts.

Thanks brother! :tiphat:

Plants were topped again last night. I'm thinking this will be the last topping. The plants were topped twice at this point so I'm ready for them to pack on some size and get flower started. As the new growth begins to grow out, I'll be doing a little LST work to get the plants trained.

Plants are still receiving 1/2 strength nutrients and seem to be responding well to this dosage. I will gradually increase to full strength as we get closer to flower.

Kas

Kaskadian

Veteran
Tent is filling out... getting more and more excited for flower time.

Attachments

• bog128181.jpg
    bog128181.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 8