What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CO2 hash oil extraction? How to?

Ms_Weekend

I just want to add I finally saw CO2 oil that was supposedly passed through a carbon filter as well.....it was a golden clear oil/taffy consistency....when I pulled off the lid, a string stood up for a few seconds before falling back into the bottle. lab in CO is doing these extractions for BIG $$$$....I think it was 3k for a pound of trim turned into oil.

Noble Person

Do you. Do you think that. I think that green-ass CO2 oil was made with a fluoroalkane, how about that. Hope you're not heating it up when you vaporize it. Hey I want to pay three thousand dollars so that I can get a few hundred dollars worth of oil. I hope it's green.

Ms_Weekend

Do you. Do you think that. I think that green-ass CO2 oil was made with a fluoroalkane, how about that. Hope you're not heating it up when you vaporize it. Hey I want to pay three thousand dollars so that I can get a few hundred dollars worth of oil. I hope it's green.

is english your first language?....I have a hard time understanding what you wrote

Ms_Weekend

:whistling:.....I was just stating what I heard....I would never pay 3k for oil....& what claim did I make?......keep smoking dude, keep smoking

GAM DPK CO2 oil = QW-EtOH

That's all I'm saying 'bout it. Good stuff but not a supercritical extraction.
"CO2" label makes lots of peoples wallets... um... happier.
Plus it's out of fashion to advert such things since vs Bergan.

Cha-ching.

jump117

Veteran
Description from the site:

"Our reagent grade 200 proof Ethyl Alcohol is specially denatured with methyl alcohol (formula 3A), meets essential lab requirements and is a good dehydrating agent.
Also known as Ethanol, it is colorless and mixes with water, methanol, ether, chloroform and acetone."

I don't like the four last words.

I use Ethanol 96% aka 190 proof and find it perfect, as primery as secondary solvent in amber hunting.

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
You don't like it that EtOH is soluble with "methanol, ether, chloroform and acetone"??
It's just a chemical property...

What I don't like is that if you read the rest of the description they first say it is denatured with methanol, then they say it is 95% EtOH, 5% IPA. So which is it?!

And now for something completely different! Am I correct to assume that a closed recycling CO2 extraction system would waste only the amount of CO2 left in the oil, as the rest would get re used?

johnnyla

Veteran
some CO2 extract i came across this summer was NOT green. it was amber gold colored, looked less wet than that green stuff in the pic, and was super crystally, sticky gooey. it was as close to mainlining THC as you could get. It was Co2 extracted but my collective stopped carrying it since "they" are saying it's illegal to sell anything extracted with solvents. Doesn't seem like co2 would be a solvent though. i thought it was a gas. Anyways, super strong stuff if you come across it.

And now for something completely different! Am I correct to assume that a closed recycling CO2 extraction system would waste only the amount of CO2 left in the oil, as the rest would get re used?

Yes, depending on the size of the extraction unit.

There are ammonia, hydrocarbon and fluorocarbon based lab SFE extractors that recycle ammonia and CO2 but most very small units used in cosmetics and food industries simply vent to waste. Larger units have a scavenging compressor and re-condensers to reuse the gas.

CO2 is very cheap to purchase in bulk tank sizes. I work with these machines daily with units that scavenge and re-compress gas for reuse.

Besides there isn't any appreciable residual CO2 in the product. It is removed ("divorced") during the phase change transition back to a non supercritical state as well as in the fractionation separators. CO2 doesn't bind to the lipids like butane does.

There is no affinity to hold residual gas as there is with the usual solvents used in oil making. It is impossible to remove all the butane in BHO, even with a vac table or a rotovape. CO2 doesn't have this issue.

You could by a used recertified low pressure sub crit unit capable of processing about 4 ounces of dessicated, raw material for about 4000 usd.

Supercritical high pressure machines cost more and require more skill to operate effectively. You still will need to purchase specific fractionation separators for dividing up by molecular weight, unless you want a mixed oil. Mixed oil is fine for our uses, separated oils are good for those who want to play with specific oil components.

The most cost effective and clean non butane, non propane, non dim-ether extractions are alcohol with vacuum distillation like the GAM oil pictured. If you have a safe work area, use basic safety procedures and can figure out how to not explode, then vac distilled alcohol is the best bet. A used roto setup to do this can be very cheap, as low as $300usd.

CO2 extracts aren't very cost effective and produce a product that alcohol does better. That's why most claims of "co2 extract" aren't real. BUT I have seen actual co2 extracts in a coop twice in the last 5 years. All the others that were GC/MS'ed showed that these were actually conventional oils labeled as co2.

Because co2 "sells" better. :dunno:

Thank you Ocean_Grown ! I wouldn't imagine that CO2 extracts wouldn't be very cost effective since I assume a new unit could run 20+k
Personally I have a pollinator and a modified hydraulic jack for my "extract" needs. Cant beat the full flavor :)
As for CO2 becoming a sales pitch, thats an inevitable part of our society, lol. A shame that those guys intentionally mislabeled the oil. Means that chances of finding actual CO2 are probably non-existent.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
some CO2 extract i came across this summer was NOT green. it was amber gold colored, looked less wet than that green stuff in the pic, and was super crystally, sticky gooey. it was as close to mainlining THC as you could get. It was Co2 extracted but my collective stopped carrying it since "they" are saying it's illegal to sell anything extracted with solvents. Doesn't seem like co2 would be a solvent though. i thought it was a gas. Anyways, super strong stuff if you come across it.

it wasn't co2 extract...... nobody is using co2 to make hash... sorry.

and to the guy on the first page, the "brown sugar" is just full melt bubble hash, unpressed. it's very good, i've had it many times

I repeat, nobody is using co2 to make hash.

well, maybe a curious scientist doing it as a hobby, but it isn't commercially viable

Trichgnomes

it wasn't co2 extract...... nobody is using co2 to make hash... sorry.

and to the guy on the first page, the "brown sugar" is just full melt bubble hash, unpressed. it's very good, i've had it many times

I repeat, nobody is using co2 to make hash.

well, maybe a curious scientist doing it as a hobby, but it isn't commercially viable

Well there we have it everyone, it was unpressed water hash! Case closed I guess. No offense man but I know perfectly well what unpressed FMCD bubble looks like, and more importantly, tastes like. Don't get me wrong, I'll take some full melt any day of the week, but science is science. The water soluble terpenes are washed away in the process. I'm not going as far as to say it was definitely CO2, merely that it was presented as such. I have stated this already. However, it looked and tasted distinctly different than any water hash, dry sift, BHO, QWISO, QW-EtOH that I have ever seen.

Latest posts

Latest posts