What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Shatter slab dropped on floor, best way to salvage it for cooking?

KONY

Veteran
Buddy gave me this to work with, It has some specs of crap in it. I was thinking heating it up to 130-150 to get it in a liquid state, then trying to pour onto a new slab, hoping the contaminants stay behind but doesnt seem like the best idea.

Anyone have a way to filter it that won't cause a bunch of oil to stick in the filter?

plantingplants

If you are just cooking then dissolve it in ethanol, and use a appropriately sized filter for whatever size the contaminants are. Eg, a coffee filter or fine sieve. Then evaporate.

I have never personally dissolved concentrate into alcohol but theoretically it should work. I don'T see a problem.

blastfrompast

Veteran
oh man i feel for you, i dropped a slab of pull and snap on a my easychair a couple months ago....black fuzzy fabric stuck to the slab....total waste...into the bin it went with the chair cover....

only 14g but still it was a pisser..

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Buddy gave me this to work with, It has some specs of crap in it. I was thinking heating it up to 130-150 to get it in a liquid state, then trying to pour onto a new slab, hoping the contaminants stay behind but doesnt seem like the best idea.

Anyone have a way to filter it that won't cause a bunch of oil to stick in the filter?

You could dissolve it in alcohol first.

KONY

Veteran
Last time I tried winterizing BHO it was very hard to get all the moisture from the alcohol back out of the winterized bho. Tried vac purging it and the bubbles it makes explode everywhere throughout the camber. Wasting a lot and making a big mess. it didnt this right when the vac started building too, wasnt trying to go near full vac.

prune

Veteran
In all practicality if edibles are the planned end result, de-carb in a vessel with a filter (like bubble bags). The oil is very thin at those temps and will pass through the filter quickly. Two birds, one stone.

Old Gold

oh man i feel for you, i dropped a slab of pull and snap on a my easychair a couple months ago....black fuzzy fabric stuck to the slab....total waste...into the bin it went with the chair cover....

only 14g but still it was a pisser..

There is a trick to getting the majority of it off, cleanly!! Lay some thick paper over it (newspaper worked in the past, but the oil was not so salvageable due to ink), then lightly use a flat iron or heating pad if you have one, and gently warm the surface to the paper. Don't press too hard, as to not force it further into the fibers of carpet or fabric. When you let it cool, the oil should have mostly soaked into the paper, and cooled back into it's hardened state. Depending on the material you have to pull this paper slab off of, you might be able to remove almost all of it without ruining it completely, or taking all the fabric with.

It worked wonders on the carpet of a rental car back in the day.

...either that or super soaked alcohol rags.....as they absorb oil and begin to dry, oil will be on them rather than the fabric, and you can dissolve it again to get off the paper towels / rags.

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
It's for edibles, follow the dissolve in alcohol and filter suggestions. Once it mostly evaporates you can cook with it. The residual alcohol will leave during the cooking stage.

No worries.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Last time I tried winterizing BHO it was very hard to get all the moisture from the alcohol back out of the winterized bho. Tried vac purging it and the bubbles it makes explode everywhere throughout the camber. Wasting a lot and making a big mess. it didnt this right when the vac started building too, wasnt trying to go near full vac.

Alcohol bumps explosively under vacuum, so we finish it in a shallow casserole dish, with a sheet of glass over the top to catch the splatter.

We also run closer to 125F with alcohol, because of the high surface tension.