What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GDP Purple Dream x 2. Goal 2 lbs

TheCapn

Hey gang. I saw some other folks here talking about the Grand daddy purple - Purple Dream, so I thought I would do a mini journal of my purple dream. I won't bore you with 100 pictures of seedlings and veg pictures; we will pick it up just before flower.

From what I understand, Grandaddypurple created a cross between their Blue Dream female and their classic Purple male.
For whatever reason, they released a couple hundred seeds, and then decided not to continue creating this X. (GDP, feel free to clarify here) I had placed an order from "Attitude" last year, and I got two freebee "Purple Dream" seeds.

On April 20th I started the two Purple Dreams in a wet paper towel, in a baggie, and set it on my internet router to keep them warm. In 48 hours I had tails and set them down into 2" rockwool blocks. Then into a small pot of grodan rockwool grow cubes.

30 days later I started to see the beginnings of pre flowers. In case you didn't know, here is a good way to "predict" the sex of your plant. Look for the start of the calyx like you see circled in the picture. Both males and females will have something growing here (females usually start first). If it is very pointed as you see the picture, it is probably a female. Males are more blunt.

picture.php

And at 40 days, I spotted the first emerging pistil:

picture.php

Another week later I saw a pistil on the other plant. I am so lucky that both plants are female. Starting from one seed is such a "crap shoot". With two, I have a better chance of getting a nice phenotype.

I see many people doing some crazy stuff to try to sex their plant. They try to keep one branch in the dark, or they take clones, root them, and put them into 12/12, or they go to 12/12 and then reveg. There is an easier way. Just be patient and wait. I've grown over a dozen strains and they all have shown me sex under 18/6. The longest I've had to wait is 55 days from seed. (average 45-50 days) Males take a little longer, but if you've gone 60 days and don't see a pistil, you've probably got a boy.

We are approaching 2 months, which is the normal time I run in vegetative growth. I don't grow anything under a lb per plant. I keep my plant count to just a few plants in flower at a time. Tomorrow, a chonger gets chopped, leaving room for the first Dream, and I'll have to wait two weeks on the other.

The one on the left isn't as green as I'd like to see it, despite it getting the same exact recipe as the one on the right. But both plants look amazing with no nutrient dehydration. Compared to other strains I've grown, the GDP Purple Dream grows at an average speed, and responds well to topping.

picture.php

As you can see here I don't torture my plants by raping them of their leaves, or bending branches. All I do is top. Often. When they go into flower, I'll use a scrog net to spread them out as they stretch. I top a week before flower, and then don't top again after 12/12 (unless the stretching is so bad I run out of height). Topping during flower can disturb auxins and extends flowering time. My flower floor space is precious so I try to finish as quickly as possible.

The blades of the leaves are a typical indica X sativa shape, with several 8-9 bladed fans about. In this picture you can see a few places where I topped 5 days ago. I like to keep them as short and bushy as possible in veg, then in flower I will let them stretch out.

picture.php

Currently, they are in vegetative growth under a 600W Apollo, $20, metal halide light. They are in 100% rockwool grow cubes, and I'm hand watering to waste, once a day. I grow in cheap regular nursery pots when they are little, then as they get bigger, I go to superoots air pots.

Here is my nutrient recipe for vegetative growth (mostly general hydroponics nutrients). In a 5 gallon bucket of RO water, I add:

15ml Florablend
15ml Calmag or calimagic
10ml FloraMicro
15ml Floragrow
5ml FloraBloom
Then I add about 5ml armor si (silica) to bring the PH up to 5.8-6.2. I aim for 300-500ppm during veg, depending on the size.
I also use a beneficial bacteria tea once a week.

When we go to flower, I'll show you my flowering Rig. It's so easy, even a stoner can do it. Each specimen gets it's own reservoir.

I'm hopeful the Purple dream will be worth growing. Typically purple-ish strains are not known to be the best yielders, but with the blue dream I hope I see some dense big colas. I haven't seen anyone growing the purple dream like I do (one pounders) so I'm excited to see these flower out. I've heard from "PH-Patrol" that his took about 74 days to finish. I'm hoping mine take less time, since they are so mature at this point. They are full of pistils already and longing for 12/12.

See you soon. Constructive comments and questions welcome..

Really liked your post man, very detailed stuff. I am also growing purple dream
so i really like to hear more stuff about it. I have one mother that i have taken several clones from, i will be getting pics shortly. I have been growing mine perpetually. I also got the freebie from the attitude seeds giveaway got 2 females and didnt even use the seeds i ordered. I wasn't lucky enough to get a purple pheno but i will probably end up getting more from GDP seeds.

TheCapn

As as I saying in the above post, I started with two, GDP Purple Dream seeds, and was lucky to get two females. I'm about 7 weeks from seed, and put one into flower today, the next one goes in about two weeks.

For the noobs: "Flower", is when we change the light cycle from 18 on, 6 off, to 12 on, 12 off, convincing the plant to make buds, make seeds, and pro-create. We deny them the seed making part ;-) Stoners say, "I FLIPPED my plants". They didn't flip a plant upside down. They didn't buy a plant, fix it up and then sell it for more than they paid for it. What they mean is, they changed the light cycle to 12 hours on, 12 hours off.

When is it time to flower? There are so many reasons to wait until a plant is mature (mature = showing pre-flowers, alternating nodes), here are a few:

1. A mature plant is less likely to grow male pollen sacks (AKA "Hermie") in flower.

2. Yield increases exponentially with veg time. Depending on the size of your plant, waiting just another 10 days can literally double your final yield.

3. MJ comes into a "rapid growth" period, about 5-6 weeks from seed. If you can wait that long (and you're doing everything correctly), you'll get the full potential in flower.

4. A mature plant will finish quicker. For many of us, real estate in the flower room is valuable. If we put a plant into flower too soon, flowering time will be extended.

Over the past couple years, I've tried every growing method. Dirt, coco, DWC, RDWC, Spray aero, rails, ebb and flow, and even bio buckets. You name it, I did it. I'm a huge "DIY'er" and I love to put new systems together, looking for the best yield and fastest growing system. I've had some rough times too, including a 3 month period where I was plagued with root rot (pythium) and I didn't produce a thing during this time.

I was successful (some more than others) in all methods, but every method had it's cons. So I started putting together a new top feed rockwool system. Initially, I called it "simple hydroponics", but the method has emerged into "Captain Style" growing. But there's more to "Capn Style" than just the top feed rockwool. It's about the veg time, growing one pounders, the way we top and bend during veg, and beneficial bacteria. I'll try to touch on some of these in this journal. Note: Nothing I'm doing is anything completely unique. I've only borrowed good ideas from others, and have put them into a complete, wickedly effective growing style.

Let's continue with the flower system. Things we need:

1. 5.8 gallon (7 gal equivalent) superoots air pot. $15. The air pots are not necessary, but I do feel they yield a bit better. Don't use fabric pots. Cheap nursery pots are ok, but if you're going to grow a pound, you'll need at LEAST the 3.5 gal nursery pot, preferably the 5 gal. Big Roots = big plants.

2. 15 gallon reservoir. $10. The brute 14 gallon tote from lowes or the homes 15 gal tote from walmart work well. Other totes may work, as long as the top is strong and recessed.

3. 150-200gph submersible water pump. $18. I only use the 185GPH ecoplus.

4. Drip ring. $10. You can make your own from 1/2pvc pipe and 1/16" holes or buy the hydro-halo or hydro-hat.

5. Grodan rockwool grow cubes. In my opinion they are the perfect growing media. We'll talk about this later in the journal.

picture.php

And then it goes together like this:

picture.php

I drill a 6" hole for the water return. And put a couple netpots in the hole to let water in, but keep light out.

picture.php

picture.php

Oh yeah! Just right! No reason to go any higher than 600ppm in the first 2 weeks of flower.

picture.php

Then we use a cheap timer to irrigate once a day for 15 minutes at a time. Irrigating heavily and for a full 15 minutes, ensures the PH and PPM in the root zone, is the same as in the reservoir. Wimpy drip emitters don't work well.

In my next post I'll talk about why the rockwool grow cubes work so well, and how to prepare them for use. It's easier than you think.

See you in a week or two.

TheCapn

Really liked your post man, very detailed stuff. I am also growing purple dream
so i really like to hear more stuff about it. I have one mother that i have taken several clones from, i will be getting pics shortly. I have been growing mine perpetually. I also got the freebie from the attitude seeds giveaway got 2 females and didnt even use the seeds i ordered. I wasn't lucky enough to get a purple pheno but i will probably end up getting more from GDP seeds.

PG, Thanks for stopping in, and I'm looking fwd to seeing your pictures. It will be nice to have you along so I can have your experience along the way. I too only grow perpetually (except I don't keep mothers), otherwise I get bored waiting so long in between harvests.

If you don't have your own journal, feel free to post pictures of your Purple dream here.

Pulling up a chair man...good stuff..

Good to have you, A.M.

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
shits looking nice cap , thanks for the detail to should be really helpful for the noobs , im subbed :tiphat:

fatsack79

Right on capn... Luv'n the datail of this thread... I've been really interested n the pd... Can't wait for the outcome... Looking forward to the show... -F.S

TheCapn

Hey guys, I just finished up making my new, adjustable, suspended scrog net.

My flower room is jammed. In fact, it's basically crawling room only. So any pipes coming down from a scrog net get in the way of the crawling. I decided to make a net that can be folded down, sort of like an ironing board that folds out from the wall.

This is the metal fencing from lowes, zip-tied to a PVC frame. The squares are 2" x 3". I like this stuff because if a branch grows through too tall, you can use wire cutters to cut a wire, move the branch to the next square, and then bend the wire back again (instead of damaging the branch by pulling it under). This comes in handy in mid-late flower, when you have colas that are too close together.

I've used the metal shelving runners and brackets you can find in any home store. I'm using ratchet light adjusters to lower the front of the screen down where I want it.

The frame is 40" x 32". This is the smallest flowering spot in the room because it is right where the door opens. Don't worry, I will still try to put on a good show. The other purple dream is getting an extra two weeks in veg, so we will journal that one too. It will get the full 44" x 44" space to bloom.

I don't know what to expect with the Purple dream, but it has slender fan blades and many 9 bladed leaves, so I'm assuming it's going to grow tall. You'll notice the 1/2 PVC "T" fittings. This is in case I need to go to a double decker SCROG.

picture.php

TheCapn

Hey guys, just checking in with a picture pictures. The first purple dream is not really impressing me. It's doing ok, but it just isn't very vigorous. It has been in flower a little more than two weeks and I feel like it should be further along.

picture.php

The second Purple Dream went into flower on 7/1. This one had 2 more weeks of veg time. This one is showing more vigor and is starting it's stretch. It is nearly filling the 44" x 44" SCROG already:

picture.php

I'm pretty excited about this one.

picture.php

I'll check back in a couple weeks with an update.

TheCapn

Hey gang, here is a 2 week update.

The "non vigorous" purple dream, which is my #2 Phenotype, has been in flower 4 weeks now. It is still pretty weak but is frosting up nicely. It looks like it will be one of those specimens with super frosty, but small buds. I've taken clones of it, just in case it surprises me in the end, but I probably won't grow it again. I'll be lucky if I get 1/2lb from this one.

picture.php

Here is a picture with a flash, just before lights on:

picture.php

And here is a close up bud:

picture.php

And is here the pheno #1 which has only been in flower 3 weeks.
Looking amazing. There is no reason I shouldn't get a lb with this one.

picture.php

ArizonaMeds

Nice thread cap! I really enjoy the K.I.S.S. approach. I look fwd. to trying some of your "Methods" as I have lots of totes lying around.
A+ thread buddy and I love the second PD, looks amazing

TheCapn

We have just a few more weeks on the first Purple Dream. It's hairs have mostly turned brown, and I even see several amber trichomes, (mostly milky) which is amazing for only 6 weeks in. Could this be a true 8 week strain? Don't worry, I won't pull it early.

It has super frosty buds, but the buds are so small, you can barely call them "colas". Since I'm seeing so many brown pistils, I highly doubt they will put on any more size.

PD#2 (this is the one that started flower first)

picture.php

And a frosty top from PD#2.
picture.php

And PD#1 (this one is about 10 days behind the one above)
picture.php

If you still haven't tried it "CapnStyle", you are missing out on one of the easiest, highest yielding, growing methods.

picture.php

And a bud from PD#1
picture.php

TheCapn

Hey CAP what is the size of the airpot your using? 10?

I use the 7 gallon (equivalent) superoots air pots (5.8 gal actual) when I'm doing "one pounders". I only use the airpot as my final flowering container. I always transplant to the airpot when I put it into flower. The first two weeks of flower, the plant puts on massive size and needs that free space in the media to put out a ton of new roots.

If I'm going for more than a lb, sometimes I use the next size up, (10 gallon) but the problem with the 10 gal airpot is it is no taller than the 7 gal. So I take ANOTHER 10 gal airpot, cut the plastic in half, and zip tie it on the top, making a 15 gal :) So basically I bought three of the 10 gal airpots and I made two 15 gallon pots.

In my case, I have not seen a noticeable advantage to going with a pot bigger than this 7 gal pot. I only have 44"x44" and 600W, so I'm limited there. If I had 1000W and a 5x5 space, and wanted to go for 2lbs, then I would do the bigger pot.

TheCapn

Purple Dream #2 started 12/12 on June 18th. So Aug 13th will be a total of 8 weeks in flower. It already has amber trics here and there.

Best of all, it's starting to get a dark purple tint to it.

picture.php

I could start flush on it now, but my next plant isn't ready for flower so I may as well let it go a little longer. I would like to see it get a little more purple. I think I'll let it go until this weekend, which will be 8.5 weeks. If I see more amber trics, I'll start flush and let it flush for about 5 days, or until I start to see yellow.

picture.php

And here is Purple Dream #1, about two weeks behind. Much more vigorous, but looking like it may need longer in flower than Pheno #2:

picture.php