What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old game systems

ChronicFUNK

Just got a snes emulator (zsnes or soemthing), rigged up my xbox controller to my comp and got it working with xpadder program. Brings back alot of memories playing these games from when i was a kid.:dance013: and i love getting stoned and playing these old games!

going to be playing
chrono trigger (alltime favorite)
earthbound
contra 3
secret of mana
and a few others for now

What were your guys favorite games on snes or any old gaming systems?

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
astroids 3D not that old...30 yrs. or so.
have an old Sega game console with beaucoup game cartridges, but it's compatible with older tvs (cathoderay), so i don't want to hook it up...

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
One of my worst decisions of my life was to trade in my NES and SNES for a N64.

I had a shit ton of great games, and all i got was goldeneye.

In 95 I had surgery and my wife at the time got me a spankin' used NES system and I diddy konged the shit out of that thing.

Still have it in a box...the game system,not the ex-wife.

OldSkoolKlein

ChronicFUNK, now you have got the bug and seen the light and of course to anyone else, think of your favorite console, more than likely there is an emulator for it on PC (can't vouch for Apple).

If you are a little older and arcade machines are more your scene, search for MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator). More than likely you will end up with the whole ROM set (ROM's are the game files) which runs to well over 6000 games. The majority are duplicates for certain markets, and there is a stupid number of Mah-jong games, but it's all worthwhile to find the game you were the best in your 'hood on and kick ass again! And reserve about 40-50 gb to install everything. Then get a PS2 style controller with USB connection, and an hour or so setting up and mapping the controller to your favorite games.

For the pinball peeps out there search for Future Pinball and Visual Pinball. The physics they are able to employ now is pretty damn good.

The more tech minded (ability to solder, use a drill) get old Street Fighter machines (they were known as JAMMA cabinets had super heavy duty buttons & controllers) and retrofit them with a pc inside. Then they add a button on either side of the cabinet and at the edge of the machine below the buttons so when they play pinball, they have flipper buttons and buttons to nudge the machine like you did on the pinball machine in the good ol' days.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
zelda. battletoads. illusions of gaia. ff3. chrono trigger.

My pops went and bought the original gold cartridge zelda for original nintendo when it first came out... but not the system! couple days later tho we were on it, good times. I was kinda to young to play it but Id watch my brothers play for days.

Oh yeah, duck hunt! How did they make the gun work so acurately back then without no thing on the tv to caliberate and all that?

ChronicFUNK

zelda. battletoads. illusions of gaia. ff3. chrono trigger.

My pops went and bought the original gold cartridge zelda for original nintendo when it first came out... but not the system! couple days later tho we were on it, good times. I was kinda to young to play it but Id watch my brothers play for days.

Oh yeah, duck hunt! How did they make the gun work so acurately back then without no thing on the tv to caliberate and all that?

haha yeah ive beaten chrono trigger 2times i think now, been playing through illusions of gaia, ff3 is bomb, and zelda is pretty awesome too!!

My buddy had duck hunt when we were kids and I have no idea how the gun worked so well i always wondered that too!

@OldSchoolKlien Ive had this emulator before i think like every 4 or 5 years i get it and go through all these old games but it really doesnt get old (no pun intended lol) these games are sooo fun.

@ShroomDr Yeah man i hear ya i never even bothered with a N64 emulator.. didnt even really like the system when I had it.. lol goldeneeye honestly sucked , but i spent so many hours playing it. I think it was cause it was like the first FPS for a console or something lol..

@cannacoob Sorry to hear that sucks..

I got secret of mana on my iphone (i was actually so amazed its available on iphone so i got it) anyway love that game its fuckin amazing ... but i get to the part where you need to walk the seasons in the fairy land or whatever and i can never complete it.. i got stuck there too when i was like 8 or 9 LOL.. so if anyone knows the part im at and how to do it i will finally be able to beat this game after like 13 years hahah

O ya also forgot one really epic game.. SUper Mario RPG.. anyone ever play that had the cartridge for snes way back, definately alltime fav as well!

Max Yields

Yeah man! SNES is the biz. I have a PSP with a NES, SNES, Genesis, TG-16, NEO-GEO, Game Gear, Game Boy Advance, & PS1 emulators on it among others that I still haven't installed, due to my memory space. I need a bigger memory stick. N64 & DS is also playable but the emulators still need some work from it's developers. Gotta love the classics. Contra 3, Chrono Trigger, FF3, Mario, Zelda, Secret of Mana, SNES kicked ass for it's time & still does. These games were 'n still are highly playable & enjoyable. Even after beating them years ago they hold up very well in the test of time compared to today's newer, more high tech games & systems. Just as fun & enjoyable in my opinion.

I

Iron_Lion

The Zelda series was the shit. Mario was pretty good too up until game cube, thats pretty much when Nintendo took a nose dive.

I stil play some of the old games from time to time, I picked up one of these FC Twin's for like $35 and you can play all of the old cartridges from NES and SNES. The stupid thing is when I sold all my old games when I was a kid they'd give me like $1 or 2 and now the old zelda games sell for like $35.

yobo_fc_twin_nes_snes_clone.jpg

Ganja Maker

I still have a SNES laying around somewhere. Me and my buddy were talking about old times, and we ordered Killer Instinct off of e bay. That was the shit in the arcade back in the day.

Feyd

sunshine in a bag
Veteran
and as far as older games go, ff7 is still one of my favorite games of all time. I would have to say that tf2 is by far my favorite game though. I grew up playing video games. when i was 6 or 7and lived with my dad my I started playing nes and snes and from that point on sort of attached myself to the hobby. I went from consoles to PC games when i was 12/13, playing gta1, unreal, quake, doom. I also love aoe2 and other rts games.
from that point on Ive always thought that PC games were superior for competitive online play, especially shooters, which happen to be what I'm best at and have the most fun playing since I've played them from a young age. I still like a lot of console games that conti ue to come out, like the resident evil series, and fighting games (I really liked mk9) but always prefer PC.

as nostalgic as some of these old games can be, I just think PC games have stolen the show. keyboard and mouse will always be superior to a controller or pad. there is a huge difference between using a joystick versus a mouse with low sensitivity on a large mousepad.

there is a certain PC game I haven't played in a long time I occasionally think of and try to think of the name. I didn't even play it a lot and i don't remember where I played it, but i remember it was essentially a game where you siege castles and rode a horse and jousted. then had maidens bid on you with whatever dowry they had. and I don't even remember liking it, but i want to play it again.
I remember getting pissed because i was trying to break chairs and whack stuff inside this castle (the graphics were like a 98 screensaver) and i broke my sword fighting someone.

Chronage

Scholastic Warrior
How are those FC Twin's? I'm considering getting one as I've recently dug out all my old consoles/games. Any issues with quality or anything weird (glitches).

mintz

Mario cart on the snes,was and is my all time fav,the amount of life past on that game(worrying).

Latest posts

Latest posts