What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Drager 5000: Mouth Swab Test Used in San Diego To Detect if Drivers are High On Pot

Medfinder

Chemon 91
The more states that come online with legalized cannabis laws, the more there is discussion around the topic of how to detect a DUI for cannabis while drivers are on the road. There are several different methods. kits. and other roadside tests that have been piloted or used by law enforcement to measure if a person is high while driving, and a new one just hit San Diego last week- enter the Drager 5000 mouth swab drug test.

Police officers debuted two “Drager 5000” devices during an annual St. Patrick’s Day checkpoint in the city of San Diego on Friday. The sobriety-testing machines screen saliva samples for 6 substances aside from marijuana, including amphetamines, cocaine, and prescription drugs.

drager 5000According to the CBS affiliate in San Diego, the Drager 5000 will be put into regular rotation at screening operations like checkpoints and roving DUI saturation patrols.
https://www.theweedblog.com/drager-5000-mouth-swab-test-used-san-diego-detect-drivers-high-pot/

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
THC levels are no indication of inebriation.

Eventually, someone with money and the next few studies that come out (like the study the AAA did), will prove in court the current procedures are criminal.

Stop destroying people's lives, thanks.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The fact that folks submit themselves at checkpoints is enough for most cops...

Checkpoints are illegal as fuck!

Cops have no authority to pull over anybody NOT breaking the law.
Driving home from work isn't illegal but checkpoints are.

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Douglas brings up an excellent point. I've been trying to scoop up any info. regarding OTHER testing to determine impairment vs. merely levels of THC.

We all know that heavy users are always going to have tons of THC in their blood....but of course that doesn't mean they're impaired.

It takes me a good 3 mos. to clean out whenever I do. I know because I actively test my urine and then blood to determine levels of detectable THC.

I've been using since I was 17...and it's been decades since then.

Nonetheless, I haven't really found any peer reviewed literature on the subject that makes it any clearer.

Unless someone comes up with a BONA FIDE test that can determine how impaired someone is, there are going to be folks that get locked up for illegitimate reasons.

Of course, we don't want folks driving around under the influence of edibles and such...I know that my eddies are potent enough to affect motor skills on a major level....if I got behind the wheel after that I'd be an idiot...and so would anyone else.

That doesn't mean I don't enjoy smoking a bone and then getting on the road...I feel it puts me in a relaxed state where I can enjoy some tunes and drive. That's way different than going on a MMJ bender and then going out for a joyride.

The difference between those two things is like having a drink at dinner or drinking a bottle of whiskey and driving.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The AAA (Automobile Association of America) already did a study on THC levels and impairment to drivers. Here's a Link to the study.

They recommend field sobriety tests, because THC levels turned out to be a useless test for inebriation. Anything other than a field competency test is criminal.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I think most regular cannabis users can pass a field sobriety test, which should be a game changer, sense you are not impaired enough to fail the test they should have to let you go. But they have to make new rules to single us out, what about all the prescription drug users...

accessndx

Veteran
In response to your questions EE: I'm not sure if the saliva in the mouth is positive because you had cannabis or other drugs in your mouth.....OR.....if the tests for saliva in the mouth are examining for some sort of metabolite that is produced in the saliva as a result of prior ingestion.

The difference between those two things may be negligible in the end because you're question suggests there's a way to beat a test based on residual material either via time or intervention.

Regardless, if the answer is that some sort of detectable metabolite of drugs is being produced and then swabbed for that may be a bit more difficult to deal with than smoking a joint and rinsing your mouth.

Rinsing may have an impact on both, but may be more useful in the latter of the two categories.

As always, tests are going to have lower limits of detection just like blood and urine tests.

If someone could theoretically lower the levels of metabolites or residuals below the threshold for positivity the test would be negative or inconclusive.

accessndx

Veteran
I just found some info. on the subject that illuminated it a bit further...

It looks like the test detects metabolites and residuals. Rinsing even with water has a temporary effect (30 mins)...but the problem with that is time....wait long enough and you'll produce enough stuff in your saliva to be detectable once more.

So theoretically, if the timing was right and you just rinsed your mouth with something.....and they immediately tested you...believed you were ok and didn't need followup blood or urine testing...you may be fine.

But, if they took their sweet time....tested you more than 1x over a period of 30 mins or more....and decided to do some other tests....you could have problems.

Doesn't mean there's not a solution...but just not an easy one I can see yet.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I actually don't drive very much anymore, hardly ever have a hit just before I leave and always have water. That being said I do vape rosin, and use oil to help me sleep, so I am sure I have a lot of thc in my body...

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just found some info. on the subject that illuminated it a bit further...

It looks like the test detects metabolites and residuals. Rinsing even with water has a temporary effect (30 mins)...but the problem with that is time....wait long enough and you'll produce enough stuff in your saliva to be detectable once more.

So theoretically, if the timing was right and you just rinsed your mouth with something.....and they immediately tested you...believed you were ok and didn't need followup blood or urine testing...you may be fine.

But, if they took their sweet time....tested you more than 1x over a period of 30 mins or more....and decided to do some other tests....you could have problems.

Doesn't mean there's not a solution...but just not an easy one I can see yet.

The solution is continuous rinsing.
We need water all the time yo!

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I've smoked weed almost ever day for nearly 20 years. I have a feeling my blood and body fat THC levels are so high, you could get stoned by smoking me. A test like this would never determine if I am intoxicated.