What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

texas...

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
It's on for decriminalization 2017!!

http://hightimes.com/news/texas-will-consider-decriminalization-in-2017/

Texas lawmakers will push to eliminate the criminal penalties associated with small time marijuana crimes in the 2017 legislative session.

According to a report from the Texas Tribune, legislative forces walked up to the steps of the State Capitol on Monday to submit a number of cannabis-related bills, one of which aims to decriminalize up to an ounce of marijuana all across the Lone Star state. The goal of the measure, according to Dem. State Rep. Joe Moody, the lawmaker responsible for drafting the bill, is to simply make this offense a civil infraction, punishable with a $250 fine—no jail time, no criminal record.

While not a perfect plan, the scope of House Bill 81 would be a relatively solid reform for Texas, especially considering the current charge for this offense is a criminal misdemeanor, with a penalty of up to a 180 days in the slammer and a $2000 fine.

If the brass tacks of this bill sound all too familiar, it is because Moody introduced a similar proposal (House Bill 507) back in 2015. But while that particular measure seemed to have a fighting chance during its initial hearing in front of a key legislative committee, lawmakers somehow managed to sandbag the issue until it was too late in the legislative session to take the bill to the next level. And since the Texas Legislature runs on a biennial system, all marijuana-related matters have been forced to wait until 2017 for further discussion.

Although it is still too early to tell just how receptive legislative forces will be to the concept of decriminalization, there is a lot of support for a proposal of this kind in the progressive crevasse of the average citizen. In fact, some of the latest polls to come out of Texas show only 20 percent of the state’s residents believe people should still be thrown in jail for holding a little weed.

In 2015, it was revealed that 97 percent of all marijuana-related convictions in Texas were for minor possession—an offense that, regardless if the offender ends up going to jail, comes with reverberations that can potentially cripple the future well being of otherwise law-biding citizens.

“We’re spending our tax dollars on incarcerating [people that don’t deserve to be incarcerated] because they got caught with a small amount of marijuana,” State Representative Jason Isaac, a supporter of decriminalization, told the Tribune. “These are people that we probably subsidize their public education, we probably subsidize where they went to a state school, and now they’re branded as a criminal when they go to do a background check.”

Interestingly, Representative Isaac did not come out in support for Moody’s decriminalization bill back in 2015. But he now believes the time is right to get serious about this type of reform. Of course, this could bode well for the issue if other naysayers of decriminalization have changed their minds on the issue and are eager to throw their support behind House Bill 81 in the upcoming session.

Texas Governor Greg Abbott said previously that he didn’t see decriminalization happening in the 2015 legislative session, but his administration has yet to comment on whether the governor would support this modest reform if it makes it to his desk at some point next year.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Let's hope.....last sentence sums it up......but his administration has yet to comment on whether the governor would support this modest reform if it makes it to his desk at some point next year.

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
Tx filing for medical use :joint:

http://m.chron.com/news/local/article/Texas-senator-files-medical-marijuana-bill-10759646.php

Texas state Sen. Jose Menendez ,D-San Antonio, filed a bill Tuesday morning that would let doctors prescribe medicinal cannabis for patients in need.

Menendez called cannabis a “legitimate medicine that can help a variety of sick people,” whether they are suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, cancer, multiple sclerosis or epilepsy.
Menendez addressed a packed conference room at the State Capitol, with a couple of doctors in white lab coats behind him and family members of patients on either side of him.

He filed a similar bill in the last Texas legislative session. Citing the more than two dozen states that already allow medical marijuana use for patients, Menendez said it’s time for Texas to “step up to the plate.”

“I tell you, this is one of those bills that you really get an opportunity to really help people,” he said.

Menendez said it would take a strong grassroots effort of people contacting their representatives to encourage them to vote for this bill.

The legislative session will begin next month.

rolandomota

Well its over no medical for piece of shit Texas they ran out of time to get in the house vote by one day! Those asshole charman left it for the last minute and one ignored this bill totally. More than half the house signed on as co authors so this was to pass for sure but time ran out to schedule it for a full house vote. So 2 more years of bull shit. The making an ounce a 250 ticket no crim record might pass it got scheduled for a vote last night for tomorrow but medical did not get scheduled in time last night was the last day to do so. So im fucked until 2 years from now again. I will try to delay my case as much as possible.

And as usual these assholes tried to ban smoking and growing what a fucking disappointment

rolandomota

The mj decrim bill died last night too so if the medical bill got scheduled for a vote it would have died also. They did it again ignore bills until the last monent when its impossible to pass. All i can hope for now is jury nullification after i delay my case as long as possible. Abbot is out for sure with that new law about sanctuary cities

rolandomota

We need to phone bomb the next people that are in charge of marijuana legislation early when the bills are first referred to committee and not this late push thinking these fuckers will do their jobs. I hope the two dicks that let these bills die and the chick that voted no on the committee get voted out and the p.o.s. piece of shit abbot needs to go also. The chairman Four Price that held the late hearing and late vote and voted no deserves no credit whatsoever he did this on purpose knowing the bill would die. They were super slow this year to do anything he knew their was not enough time and his office delayed the paperwork needed to schedule a vote so its a bust.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's too bad. I lived in Dallas 20+ years ago and enjoyed it, going to "lower Greenville" etc. Weeds cheap but at my age the law has to be on my side to consider an investment or move there.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Texas is great for guns though, so you got that. The summer there will drive you to smoking pot or worse:tiphat:. Spent a few summers out there with not much air conditioning.

By the time Texas decriminalizes pot you will have more restrictive gun laws, and other nanny type shit. Same as here.

gh0stm0de

Texas misdemeanors, including roach in the ash tray, are sort of like diamonds. But only in the sense that they are forever.

They call it expunction down there and no you can't do it

Morphote

Veteran
Well its over no medical for piece of shit Texas they ran out of time to get in the house vote by one day! Those asshole charman left it for the last minute and one ignored this bill totally. More than half the house signed on as co authors so this was to pass for sure but time ran out to schedule it for a full house vote. So 2 more years of bull shit. The making an ounce a 250 ticket no crim record might pass it got scheduled for a vote last night for tomorrow but medical did not get scheduled in time last night was the last day to do so. So im fucked until 2 years from now again. I will try to delay my case as much as possible.

And as usual these assholes tried to ban smoking and growing what a fucking disappointment

The mj decrim bill died last night too so if the medical bill got scheduled for a vote it would have died also. They did it again ignore bills until the last monent when its impossible to pass. All i can hope for now is jury nullification after i delay my case as long as possible. Abbot is out for sure with that new law about sanctuary cities

Hate to say it but I told you so. Better to forget about Texas for a while.

M.

OldPhart

I really wonder which is worse; TX, OK, or KS? Some really backward fucks around there. I have ties to OK and KS; you don't want to screw up in OK, I know that much! Is TX worse than OK? I also know that just the possession of a 1k light can draw you a felony in KS, if they think you might use it to grow with. Takes balls of steel to grow out there.

Believe it or not, shit's a changing down here, regardless of abbot and what comes out of Austin.

In Dallas county, Starting Sept 1st 2017, I am pretty sure, the LEO will not lock you up and haul you to jail for 4 OZ OR LESS* Yes, you don't go to jail. that doesn't mean you don't have to attorney up and pay out the ass to get it reduced to a few joints in the tray... but

* They say IF you don't have any other crimes or violations now or before, so that broken tail light probably added enough to send you packing overnight.

4 OZ OR LESS? WTF? Who carries that unless you're going to Woodstock or distributing!?!

Even going on a week long fishing trip up north of Colorado, don't even take but a quarter of that.

Things r a changing, just slowly painful. Far worse that watching paint dry cause it dry's really quick here.

Last edited:

rolandomota

I told you so? You hate to say it?lol yea no need for that shit i had no hope really it was way too late i just wanted to point out how it went down we have it bad down here

Latest posts

Latest posts