What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How much dolomite lime should I add?

fatso

per bag of fox farm ocean forest? i believe it was around 1.5 or 1 tblspoon per gallon of soil or so but i cant remember and for some reason its impossible for me to find through this sites search function. thanks

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
recommended application for a mix w/ no lime would be 2 TBS/gal of soil

i use 1 TBS w/ no issues so its not critical - but, i dont use FFOF

does FFOF already have lime in it? if so, you may want to apply more (but at less than 1 TBS) or, you may need none at all

pretty vague? hopefully someone who advocates FFOF will chime in

fatso

i got impatient and did it before checking back. I did 9.5 tablespoons per ~9.5 gallons. the cubic foot thing confused me because im using pots and my klonopin is confusing me. I got my male royal woody transplanted into a 4 gallon clay pot instead on a half gallon pot. i also put some other random bagseed female in a 5 gallon that was also in a half gallon. i already harvested the main cola of that one and left it to see if it would survive and now its starting to bud all over again. double harvest for the win! i also used the royal woody pollen on every budsite on the double harvested plant.

thanks for your help guys! I really do appreciate it.!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
FFOF does have lime but not enough. I also use 1 cup per cf. I have used FFOF. I mix it with sunshine mix#2 more lime and perlite. Works great

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
there you have it

sounds like 1 TBS/gal should be OK

i do 1 because if i need more i can add more but if i need less then what?

but 1 has been enough so far

* oh i go by what it says on the bag for my gals #

GadgetGuy

I have a bunch of horticultural lime, is this the same thing? I'll be using FFOF on my first run and I'm glad I caught this thread. Thanks in advance!

I have a bunch of horticultural lime, is this the same thing? I'll be using FFOF on my first run and I'm glad I caught this thread. Thanks in advance!

No. Dolomite contains magnesium as well as calcium. Horticultural lime is missing the magnesium.

But I believe you can still use the lime, as long as you supplement with something like epsom salts to supply the missing magnesium.

there you have it

sounds like 1 TBS/gal should be OK

i do 1 because if i need more i can add more but if i need less then what?

but 1 has been enough so far

* oh i go by what it says on the bag for my gals #
Well you add more soil if you have too much lime, but really the lime doesn't go above 7.0ph so I dont see an issue as long as everything is done in moderation.

dev0n

FFOF buffers the low pH of the peat by using crushed oyster shells rather than lime. Some think that the oyster shells aren't enough, your mileage will likely vary.

Recently when using FFOF I have taken to augmenting their oyster shells with hydrated lime rather than dolomite lime, for a faster release (dolomite is too slow) and also because it washes away after a few waterings and doesn't stick around in the soil too long.

When mixing my own soil for larger pots I only use part FFOF, and I always include my own compost to which I've added pine bark nuggets to replace peat -- fewer pH issues.