What's new

A good alternative for Turface in PPK setup

420Alaska

From Turface MVP product description on Amazon;

We no longer ship products to CA or NY do to the states pesticide/herbicide chemical restriction laws. Turface Athletics MVP is an infield conditioner composed of large particles that you can use as a topdressing to help create an excellent and level playing surface. This also helps improve native soil for turf renovations, as well as prevent rain outs. It holds water, air, and nutrients at the root zone and improve water drainage. This is very ideal on maintaining a smooth, playable, and cushioned surface for the player's safety. It also minimize infield compaction that can cause sliding, running, and bad ball hop injury. Each bag contains 50 pounds of high-quality conditioner. Active Ingredient: Silicon dioxide - 74.0% Aluminum oxide - 11.0% Iron oxide - 5.0% All other chemicals equal less than 5% and include : Calcium oxide, Magnesium oxide, Potassium oxide, Sodium oxide and Titanium dioxide For use in: New or existing playing fields Dimensions: 14.00 x 24.00 x 5.00 Material/Construction: Calcined, non-swelling illite and silica clay. INSTALLATION: Use the following formula to determine the amount of Turface to incorporate into the skinned infield mix. Infields should be amended at 15% to 20% by volume, 4 inches deep. Turface tons required = area x depth of incorporation (in inches) x desired % of Turface (20% = 0.2)/667 For example: To determine the amount of TURFACE required to amend an infield skinned area of 9000 sq. ft. at a depth of 4 inches at 20% volume: 9000 x 4 x 0.2/667 = 10.8 tons of TURFACE...

This is my first thread and was hoping to hear from all the PPK experts if any of the chemicals in Turface leach into the PPK system.
I was really hoping to use Turface in a 4-plant PPK setup up here in Alaska and just was looking on Amazon when I saw the ingredients. For some reason, I was thinking it was inert.
Is anyone experiencing this or can anyone suggest other mediums that would be compatible with a liquid hydro PPK?
Thank you for any advice.

av8or

Hey boss, Turface is what the majority of us use, myself included. You don't have to worry about anything leeching into the nute solution. As long as you screen the turface with standard aluminum window screen to reduce the finer particles and then wash it / rinse it well, Turface will do a great job.

av8or

Update: I'm successfully using Perlite only in ppk's. It's a lot lighter and easier to prep. Also, D9 just slapped a perlite passive cloner together that works insanely well. I'm not buying turface for the foreseeable future.

Latest posts

Latest posts