What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Horselover Fat's Kali China grow

Horselover Fat

Veteran
Hi all!

I've been on a hiatus from growing for a few years and it's great to be growing again. This is my first go at Ace genetics.

Anyhoo... I have one Kali China (feminized seed stock) in a 15l (3gal?) autopot filled with coco. My light is a Phillips 315w CDM in a dPapillon fixture which is pretty good for my 120x60cm (4x2) tent. For nutes I'm using Canna Coco a&b + Rhizotonic. Still on a fence wether I should get the boost too (it's quite expensive). I have a screen in place, but I'm using it to make LST easier rather than doing a screen of green.

The first picture is the plant a week ago. The second and third I took today after the 5th night under 12/12. She's streching more than I expected. I hope I don't run out of headspace :-D There's a one pint beer can for size reference.

Attachments

• IMG_20180910_143513.jpg
    IMG_20180910_143513.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20180919_185346.jpg
    IMG_20180919_185346.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20180919_185453.jpg
    IMG_20180919_185453.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 34

rlsmooth

All the best;) I suggest that you do some supercroppin if you worried about headspace, to get even bushier structure! Plant looks really good!

Horselover Fat

Veteran
All the best;) I suggest that you do some supercroppin if you worried about headspace, to get even bushier structure! Plant looks really good!

Yeah, I thought about supercropping yesterday. There's still plenty of room to go upwards, but supercropping might make better use of the light.

Consolidated

Hi Horselover and welcome to Ace family.
Lst is only you want. I had also some grow with autopots and I have been impressed.
Nice KC you have there...

Horselover Fat

Veteran
Hi Horselover and welcome to Ace family.
Lst is only you want. I had also some grow with autopots and I have been impressed.
Nice KC you have there...

Thanks!

Autopots are quite nice. This is my second grow using them. I think it's simpler than a hydro and less likely to malfunction in a way that leads to losing the plant or having water everywhere (though that's just something I think. I'm not saying that it's true).

So today I decided to tie down a few tops to spread the plant out. A few came out to be 18 tops. I also "super cropped" four slightly smaller tops. Lemme tell you it wasn't easy to figure out where all the tops should go! In a couple of days we'll see how well I did. My god she's big...

https://youtu.be/BLSLx5wt9Fg

:laughing:

Consolidated

Thanks!

Autopots are quite nice. This is my second grow using them. I think it's simpler than a hydro and less likely to malfunction in a way that leads to losing the plant or having water everywhere (though that's just something I think. I'm not saying that it's true).

So today I decided to tie down a few tops to spread the plant out. A few came out to be 18 tops. I also "super cropped" four slightly smaller tops. Lemme tell you it wasn't easy to figure out where all the tops should go! In a couple of days we'll see how well I did. My god she's big...

https://youtu.be/BLSLx5wt9Fg

:laughing:

Hello there
It's simpler than hydro with the taste of coco or from the soil -if you prefer (like me soil and perlite)-.
And yield like hydro...

I Wish you the best...

G

Hi Philip Dick! ;) Great setup,you're gonna love Kali China!Wish you luck mate!:tiphat:

@Conso,did the autopots work with biobizz for you?Or did you go the biotabs way?Also ,any issues with the water temp?Cause in hydro it should be monitored...

Horselover Fat

Veteran
Hi Philip Dick! ;) Great setup,you're gonna love Kali China!Wish you luck mate!:tiphat:

Hi, Syd and thanks. I hope I'll like it. I love sativas and perhaps I'll venture further down the Ace sativa lines soon.

@consolidated Soil in autopot. That's interesting. What's your soil/perlite mix ratio?

I think I did ok with the tie job yesterday. A few tops need to be re-tied, but all in all it looks fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20180921_185151.jpg
    IMG_20180921_185151.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20180921_185239.jpg
    IMG_20180921_185239.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 25

Consolidated

@consolidated Soil in autopot. That's interesting. What's your soil/perlite mix ratio?

Hi guys. I used allmix biobizz soil (which has some perlite) with the addition not more than 15 -20% perlite. Horselover i am sure you 'll love KC.

@ hi Syd bro, I used the canna terra line and about the temps - i worked autopot outdoor for the 1st time - with the res in cool place (shadow) and l had no problem.
The only downside with autopots is that my other plants in normal pots look so poor...

Last edited:

Horselover Fat

Veteran
You have spread out that canopy well

Thanks! I've never topped a plant. LST and scrog make much more sense to me. Though I have thought about topping once early in veg before starting training. I might try it some time.

Here's a picture of my last grow. This is three Grapefruit plants that have been flowering for seven weeks.

Attachments

• DSC_0709.jpg
    DSC_0709.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 26

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Hey Horsebanger Slim! Good luck with the new grow mang, hope it goes smoothly for you. I'll be watching, quite interested in Ace stuff as well.

Ja talvi kun taas tuloo, ni hyvät ajat laittaa vähän indooria tulille. Juu perkele ;)

Horselover Fat

Veteran
Looks like the few Finns left on this forum all either grow Ace or plan to grow Ace. Pistä ihmeessä tulemaan. Onhan tää hauskaa puuhaa ja toivottavasti palkitsevaa ;-)

Today was the 10th morning of 12/12 and flowering has begun. Just a few hairs, but :woohoo: Still stretching, but a bit slower now I think. I wonder if this is one of the more sativa leaning phenos?

Attachments

• IMG_20180925_181621.jpg
    IMG_20180925_181621.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20180925_181526.jpg
    IMG_20180925_181526.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20180925_181427.jpg
    IMG_20180925_181427.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 28

rlsmooth

To comment on your Finnish speculation I can only fully vouch for growing Ace strains. Haven't had a single runt so far and always great vigor. Right now really stunned about zd x KC, soon will see how it performs in flower !:dance013:

Horselover Fat

Veteran
^ haha, I'm sure her sisu will be in the smoke too (vapour for me tho).

Funny thing about being away from the grow scene for a few years is how much the equipment developes. I see LEDs have matured a lot and I'm drooling over these Migro lights https://www.migrolight.com/product/migro-100/ three or four of those would be brilliant (haha) for my 4x2 tent. I don't live where my grow is atm and having tops grow in to the bulb kinda worries me. Well the hot bulb alone there worries me anyway. A few of those LEDs would spread out the light fantastically. I'm quite sure three units would out perform this 315w CDM (even though it's great). Four might be overkill, but I've used a 600w HPS in similar space and those things are dimmable.

G

Since you vape,I have to give you a spoiler :Kali China is even tasty in a joint ,in the vaporizer it is phenomenal...The best tasting bud I have ever had.You're in for a treat!I liked the high,too,but it is one of the strains I would grow just for its taste,even if it wasn't psychoactive.
Edit:Also,how was the grapefruit?I grew 2 c99 but wasn't very excited,so-so...

Horselover Fat

Veteran
Awesome :canabis: though my favourite vape, Vapexhale, isn't so much about the taste as it's about hitting hard :biggrin: I also have the Haze v3 which is more about the taste. Both are great vapes, but I like the Vapexhale more because I liked hitting bongs when I still smoked.

The Grapefruit was somewhat disappointing. It was ok, but nothing special. Having grown Mandala strains and Mr. Nice SSH it just wasn't in the same league.

Horselover Fat

Veteran
Today marks two weeks under 12/12. Everything is going ok. I've been removing yellowing leaves from under the net and today I removed most of the small branches/tops that would never really make it. A couple of days ago I was kind of desperate and decided to try making butter out of the leaves I had removed. I was of surprised of how very high I got. Zero tolerance though. Awesome :dance013: Today I decided to try an ISO wash on what I stripped from the plant. It's still evaporating, but I hope I'll get a tiny bit of oil to vape :yummy:

First pic is how it looked first thing this morning and the second is after I bent some of the tops to make the canopy more even again.

2 down 6-8 to go I guess. Can't wait.

Attachments

• IMG_20180929_194401.jpg
    IMG_20180929_194401.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20180929_194522.jpg
    IMG_20180929_194522.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20180929_194644.jpg
    IMG_20180929_194644.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 34

Horselover Fat

Veteran
:laughing: The iso experiment was less than stellar, but hey, nothing lost and I didn't have high expectations anyway

Man, I wish I had ~1000€ to get four of the LED lights I linked earlier. I'm thinking about ordering two to help with the grow and then perhaps two more to replace the CDM after this grow.