What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Decarboxylation - Data & Graphs

I have a quick and easy way to prepare and decarb cannabutter (or cannacoconut oil) which I consider foolproof. I just use fresh leaf/trim straight from the plant but it will work with dried as well.

1. Put your trim in a pot with a just enough water and sufficient butter for the amount of raw material. I you are using wet material you can pack it in because it will shrink considerably as it heats.

2. Bring it up to a good simmer just below the boil and hold this for about half an hour, regularly turning the material from the bottom up to the top. This exposes all the plant matter to the oil which will be predominantly at the top of the liquid.

3. Drain the contents through a fine metal strainer into another pot. boil the jug and pour this through the cooked material collected in the strainer while teasing it apart to remove any remaining oil. You can then wrap this material in a thin cloth and squeeze it out further.

4. Put the pot with the oil and water in the fridge until the butter is solid. Cut the butter off the surface, rinse the pieces in clean cold water to get the scum off the underside and then put them on paper towel and pat them dry.

5. Return the butter to a small pot or saucepan and heat gently until melted. Up the heat and monitor with a meat thermometer. keep stirring the oil because any remaining water will want to splatter, but it will dissipate quickly if you keep it moving.

6. Whilst constantly stirring, heat the oil to about 115-120 deg C (240-250 F) then let it cool to 105 C (220 F). What you will notice is that lots of fine CO2 bubbles will be released from the oil initially but these will slow down and stop within about 10 to 15 minutes. when the bubbles have stopped, take it off the heat and let it cool until you can return it to the fridge. When solid your butter is ready to use as you see fit. If storing, wrap it in plastic wrap to prevent oxidation.

Cheers .:)

White Beard

The thing that really sticks out for me is that first table: 87% decarb accomplished in the first 30 minutes.

Sounds to me like you’d only want to go 20 min. to leave enough THCA for medicinal effect. From that point, it seems you could create a blend that ran the gamut of possible ratios.

Cooking it another 3.5 hours for that last 13% seems...a iot?

ozzieAI

Veteran

the results match my experiences...i currently do a short decarb at higher temps and find i get much better results regarding the strengths of capsules i make. a low temp/long time decarb reduces the effectiveness of the caps by taking longer to work once digested, not getting as strong effect and shorter duration of effect...

thanks for posting RD...

S

Sertaiz

coco oil

coco oil

natural high, thats how i do it, with water. sometimes turn the stove off after half hour, and then after a couple hours or whenever its not hot to the touch turn it on for another ten minutes or so and then pau.

strain the material and i always have some extra oil on hand to pass through the herbs so i get more of the stuck oils. or just pass hot water through it or make brownies with the leftovers.
i try not to waste, someone would always gladly choke down a chewy leafy cookie with their creamy drink of choice.
can take the oily strained material and make a helluva pot of hot chocolate or anything creamy liquid that can be a little oily and hot. chefs treat.

now i am going to try cooking it down a little after to decarb it, never took it that far, sometimes i double batch it though, run the same coco oil through two batches of material.

my friends have a method they call "magic shell" like the trademark pour over ice cream toppings. they get the oil warm and pour it over the icecream and it hardens..... mmmmmmm........... ÷^)

Latest posts

Latest posts