What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Paranoia. Caused by Legality or Biology?

Easy7

Veteran
Paranoia can be about anything. From the condition of the house and yard and what the neighbors think, to not having money to deal with life's problems.

Cannabis is odd that it can calm the mind and focus, or cause the mind to wonder. Neither is bad or all that great. Suppose it's a Buddhist herb more than anything. That desire affects the outcome of the experience. It can be a lot of fun to play with desire, it can also become hell. Cannabis can numb or increase awareness of negative behavior. It's what you make of it, whether you want the responsibility or not.

As long as there is an ego, it's an ego trip. It's a lot of work developing a better ego. To be kinder and not spread the suffering that we endure being lost thinking we know our place.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I get panic attacks from moderate doses of morphine, good for keeping addiction at bay.
Marijuana keeps my brain confused, a good thing. I am constantly aware of being stoned and do not act out my impulses because I know I am not thinking clearly.
When straight I am paranoid all day every day and eventually do something about the problem. For some reason I get arrested a lot when I am straight for more than three weeks.

A major source of paranoia is from worrying about running out of pot, if I'm out for more than a few days then I actively avoid smoking, afraid of losing the clarity. Then I go to jail.
I would say my paranoia is legitimate.

But it is in me, not the pot.

Easy7

Veteran
Being arrested for attitude is my main fear. I suppose if I'm used to a good pleasing mood from cannabis, it's hard to deal with recently going without. Same is true for tobacco or even coffee. They try really hard to change people like me. Yet they don't seem to recognize anything about themselves. So it furthers rebellion. It's hard to hear being called something negative from a hypocrite that them-self is very negative. I really think if cops, judges and prosecutors did there job to start; I'd not have as much stuff to deal with.

Paranoia of showing up on someones radar is a big one always. Cannabis to me is about hiding from the world in comfort. It runs out of magic sooner or later. Can only bump it up another notch so much. Sooner or later demons must be faced. Hopefully we learned at some point to be kind. That can be hard with intense feelings. Some days peace is difficult to experience. So it's very difficult to not make situations worse. That's when it's nice to have some tools. One thing about going without cannabis a lot over the past years. I've learned to deal with things differently. It's made the rare chance of toking all the more magical. It's an herb with a lot of potential. Not needing it makes it more effective. It's hard to change mindset doing the same things all the time.

M

moose eater

When done well, my California Indica (Dronkers' Sensi Seed Bank, late mid-90s) has a very stimulant-like effect. She can, at times, feel like I just did a half-line of clean coke or so... or numerous cups of espresso. When I'm already anxious, I -don't- choose Her. If I need to wake up mo betta', She's potentially 'on the table.'

She's been my #1 producer, relatively resilient, etc.

It's my understanding that the use of the word 'Indica' in her title is a bit misleading, though. I was told that she was the product of 11 varieties brought back from California, and that old-time Sativas played a roll in the evolution of many of those varieties. So...

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
since I have always had paranoia I can't say what life is without

did growing during prohibition and smoking early sativas freak me the fuck out when I was learning lessons the hard way, lol course

I seriously have stories on stories of being criminally high and having psychotic shitfits that where like a bad trip on psychedelics because of them but the moral of this story was it made me question my unformed fears and educate myself about many things to make them reasonable.

I long ago made peace with the prohibition boogey man by really asking myself why was I breaking the law and was I prepared to pay the price because that was the source of the fear.

I thought about living without pot in fear of going to jail for pot and figured I would rather suffer part of my life in jail then suffer the whole of it out.

I would not challenge my own conscience to feed my opiate addiction but I certainly did to put the thought police to bed for once and all

green404

There are a few strains that always give me paranoia, tangerine haze, chemdawg, NY diesel, just to name a few.

I recently had some sour kush, paranoia, it would set in for that first 30mins. So I started mixing a heavy Indica with it, took the edge off and cured the paranoia for me.

hunt4genetics

Veteran
Saturday night, I load a bowl. It hits me hard, I take 2 puffs. I have one of the worst nights ever. My brain bombards me with the stress an thoughts of having to deal with elderly parents with absentee siblings. I ride it out.

Sunday night, I finish that same bowl, I now know that all we be well and we are gonna make it. Same cannabis. A weird and glorious plant indeed!

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I only ever became paranoid over being discovered as a stoner as I had a real estate license up here, and yeah it was certainly a time where one of my connections had a steady supply of very heady sativa strains, too often my eyes were way beyond Visine treatment :nono:

now I go to the store blazed on whatever and might even chat up a deputy if I run into one, I know most by name, small community n' all.......
:dunno:

PDX Dopesmoker

I only ever became paranoid over being discovered as a stoner as I had a real estate license up here, and yeah it was certainly a time where one of my connections had a steady supply of very heady sativa strains, too often my eyes were way beyond Visine treatment :nono:

now I go to the store blazed on whatever and might even chat up a deputy if I run into one, I know most by name, small community n' all.......
:dunno:

Try just putting the eyedrops in only one eye. Then is looks like you've got a partial pinkeye infection and people will steer clear of you. Nobody ever sees through the pink-eye disguise and figures out that you're stoned and put drops in one eye only. Of course if you keep on pulling this trick in a small tight knit community someone will probably notice before too long. Also cuts your eyedrop expenses in half

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i never used to get paranoid. sativa/indica, no matter. i was not subject to drug testing at my job & could care less. we went through an ounce of good columbian a week in those days easy. now i am married, got kids, got bills, a wife that does not like me to smoke, and an asshole supervisor that has done his damn best to get me in trouble for the last 2 years. PLUS, i am smoking very little & the weed is WAY stronger than it used to be. given all of that, i panic a lot less if it is a pure indica or indica dominant hybrid. i guess i am saying "both"...:comfort:

green404

Once I had a nice bag of Tangerine Haze, crystaly, smelly with the warmest sativa high.. The high would set it like a warm blanket so nice and uplifting.

Then.. 5min later paranoia would creep in, I knew it was the weed but it was just there. I kept going back to that bag because the pot was so good and every time paranoia, so I gave it away.

If it wasn't for the paranoia it would have been the nicest sativa.

GasD

I know it is private and deeply personal but... Would someone like to share a tale of when they experienced paranoia after consuming cannabis in a Legal state/country? What did you feel? What did you fear? Where you able to "snap" yourself out of it?

Thanks in advance.
I know this post is five years dead but I believe it's still relevant.

My state only recreationally legalized less than a year ago. But for many of us it means little to nothing. I mean ffs I've been growing since '04 and at that time that was a felony and 10 years even though it was only for personal consumption.

Then there's the fact that for many workers like myself it still is seen as a fireable offense to use cannabis in any form. If your employer is DOT compliant, contracted to the military or federal government, or involved in overseas trade or any other federally monitored programs it is still highly illegal. The industry I work in employs tens of thousands in the region and yet it remains illegal for those citizens, that work these jobs, of these states to use a plant they voted to legalize.

The issue is the blatant corruption and undermining tactics of the federal government. As long as it's legal for large corporate industries and firms to lobby(bribe) politicians into their corner it will federally remain illegal.

Most Americans tend to believe that the founding fathers were these idyllic, flawless beings that only wanted freedom from a corrupt monarchy. This simply isn't the truth.

The USA was founded by greedy men who upon being incapable of buying, bartering, and bribing their way into royalty decided to found their own country in which wealth meant power to rule and create law.

The way they orchestrated their vision was through a republic disguised in the form of a democracy. To maintain control they simply could not allow common men to make decisions on their own governance. Thus they established the electoral college and representatives that too were a part of the wealthier classes.

By doing this they ensured that the wealthiest members of their society could operate with impunity. All while they inacted unequal laws and levied taxes that aided them in the continued control of government. This is the entire reason for hemp and cannabis prohibition. To instill fear into people of African Americans and others that easily saw the inequality and injustice of the government. If they demonize their favorite drug and music, people would follow suit.

They wrote the history books so that if read through the rose colored glasses of patriotism that they would appear the gods of freedom. They were intelligent, tactful men full of greed, no more.