What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Asking for a few good vibes and prayers sent my way

paper thorn

Veteran
the wife was supposed to make this thread for me while i was in the hospital, but she was busy with things related to my condition.

i feel weird writing this, because i hate asking for sympathy, and this forum seems to have become a place for peeps to mourn the passing of movie stars and singers.

on jan 9, i suffered a stroke.

i can type, but i'm kinda fucked up.

i can walk with a walker and someone holding a belt around my chest so i don't fall over.

sucks for an active guy like me. just was getting a routine at a great job, where i had 1 or 2 weeks a manth to go rockhounding. my hobby.

that's gone now, at least for the next few months as i recover.

it was brain stem stoke that gave me defecits on both sides. the right side of my face is numb, but my mouth doesnot droop nor do i drool. yay.

i wobble when i walk. i'll fall easily without help. water hurts my left side, weird huh? i have some double vision in the right side of my field of view. it makes me feel high in a bad way.

I was 18 days in the hospital, a week+ in the rehab unit. i have a couple more home visits from a nurse and the physical therapy, occupational threapy and speech therapy folks. The pt is helping, and the docs say someday i may be able to walk without falling, but i'll still have to use the walker.

i try not to get depressed and not to feel sorry for myself, but it's tough.

I'm only 57, a tad young even for my fam's history, to be afflicted so.

even though this post is long, it is hard to concentrate this long.

My boy has redesigned my grow room so i can go out there and wheel around on my walker seat. thank God for him, he's really stepped up.

i'm thankful that i've gone from 'nothing by mouth' to puree to mechanically altered(chopped) food.
They had put a PEG tube in my stomch to put 'food' directly into my stomach, but a night of vomiting dislodged it and i got a quart or so of 'food' pumped betwee my stomsch asn abdoman wall. got infected, shit was gushing out of my stomach around where the tube went in. a catscan and n hour later they had me in an OR pulling that bitch out. thank goodness they had upgraded me to puree by then, so they did not have to reinstall one.

never get pureed french toast, yuck.

well, i've been home for a week and still keep worrying that this fucked up feelins permanant.

wife tells me i have 45 minutes till my first post hosp. discharge doctor visit. so i have to go, love you guys,

pt / hazy

:)

~star~crash~

good vibes R being sent 2 u... my ex-wife just suffered a stroke as well she is in the hospital 3 weeks so far left side of her brain is impacted

peace from ~star~crash~

cravin morehead

Veteran
damn bro, 57 is young for that... sorry to hear. at least you are still here. keep your head up and keep pushing yourself. good family and friends will keep you fighting...

cm

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My boy has redesigned my grow room so i can go out there and wheel around on my walker seat. thank God for him, he's really stepped up.
Awesome.

Sorry to hear....takes quite a while to recuperate from stroke depending on several factors. Being able to watch your plants grow will be beneficial for accomplishing something (attitude). Half the battle right there.

Good luck with rehab....do all you can to regain most/part of what you lost. Thoughts and prayers uttered.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wondered what happend with our resident Thorn & I sure didn't expect this news.

It sounds like your on the road to recovery now but you'll still be facing difficult times ahead. I'm happy you've got some family that is able/willing to help. That'll be all the difference in the world.

Keep your head up & your food down.
Best wishes on your road to recovery.

growingcrazy

Keep positive Thorn! 57 is still early in the game of life, one step at a time. Stay motivated and keep a smile on your face!

Peace
GC

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
Best wishes and Best of Good Luck sent to you and your family for a speedy recovery.:)

sdd420

Veteran
Really glad you're okay and pray that you get better soon. Yes rehab is very hard so keep on the sunny side . Peace sdd

paper thorn

Veteran
sorry to hear that star-crash, hope she has some form of recovery. thanks for your concern

cravin~ thanks brother, definitely have a big advantage with good friends and fam helping

aridbud~ doing the pt etc for rehab is tough, but my wife is helping me keep on track

thanks so much MJP

growingcrazy~ doctor showed me pics of kirk douglas who had a stroke, recovered well enough to sort of talk and just turned 100, so , i mean, I can talk pretty good, so i guess i'm 'lucky'

DARKSIDER, Herman, sdd420~ I thank you all. Seriously, to read some positive things means more than you guys can ever know.

Makes me want to work harder at walking and swallowing. my thighs are so weak from sitting in a bed so long, no food at all for the first 7 days made my body cannibalize my muscles, so it's hard to walk not only because of the wobbliness but the weakness.

but all i need is a little help from my friends.

Thanks a million IC fam

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Get well soon brother ... sending good energy your way !!
Nam myoho renge kyo

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oi, I've been dealing with this for two years. My father (also at 57) had a gooder in 2015.

The more you do now, the better the recovery. From mind games to all muscle work outs, every extra bit now will pay dividends much greater down the road.

Be glad you have your wits, many are not so lucky. You sound strong and I hope for a speedy recovery.

Don't say "yuck". That was the sound of food going in the trash...

paper thorn

Veteran
I'm getting stronger everyday

I'm getting stronger everyday

thanks to you folks. OK, the docs, nurses and pt, ot and st peeps too. lol.
Babba, deepest sincere thanks brother, gonna fire up some incence soon as the wife wakes up again. haha, since i still can't walk without her holding my rope.

Gry, i need 'em and every positive thing after this is helping my state of mind more than you could know.

Mikell, brother, coming from you, advice and positivity means a lot to me. I know we've knocked heads a few times over one thing or another, but still brothers.
Man, i'm really sorry to hear that your dad was so afflicted. I hope his recovery has been enough that he has a measure of normality and happiness.

Don't worry, when i got upgraded from "nothing by mouth" to puree and thickened liquid i was thrilled. Even tough the pureed french toast was kinda gross, I ate every bit. Went for the cream of wheat after that though.
pureed beef, chicken, pork and assorted veggies not bad though. baby food.

So much better to be eating chopped food now though.
i'm going to grab a sip of my coffee now. It's like a miracle after being scared that I would never be able to have coffee, milk or water again.

thanks again everyone. Sure is improving my disposition and desire to do my PT.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Glad you're still able to communicate. :) Keep the THC/CBD ingestion at maximum, greatest thing on earth for rebuilding brain issues. Double down on the brain games. ;)

shaggyballs

Veteran
The more you do now, the better the recovery. From mind games to all muscle work outs, every extra bit now will pay dividends much greater down the road.

Be glad you have your wits, many are not so lucky. You sound strong and I hope for a speedy recovery.

Man I hate to hear of such news.
But
Brain power is very important and I am with Mikell yours seems very strong!
I have heard of many of folks that worked their tails off to achieve what some said was impossible.
So aim high and try to keep a positive attitude when you can.
May God bless you my cyber-friend.
Oh, here, have some cyber-prayers too!

Peace and hippy stuff at ya too!
Shag