What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grandevo microbial-based insecticide

Nader

Veteran
A good friend of mine mentioned Grandevo and how it's great for mites (including broad mites!). Has anyone tried it before? I'm fixin to get some and spray it right before I flip and 2 weeks later for preventative means.

(from http://www.marronebioinnovations.com/products/brand/grandevo/ )

Active ingredient:
Chromobacterium subtsugae strain PRAA4-1T and spent fermentation media* .........................................30.00%
Other ingredients: ........................................................................................................................................70.00%
Total:...........................................................................................................................................................100.00%
*Contains not less than 1000 Cabbage Looper Killing Units (CLKU)/mg.

GRANDEVO® advanced bioinsecticides control a broad spectrum of chewing and sucking insects and mites … but are easy on beneficials. They can be used in rotation or as the foundation product to strengthen integrated pest management programs (IPM) and insect resistance management (IRM) programs for a wide range of fruit, vegetable, and nut crops, as well as turf and ornamentals. Combining high performance with operational flexibility, GRANDEVO bio-based products are paving the way for new, innovative uses of microbial insecticides.
Complex Modes of Action Reduce Risk of Resistance

GRANDEVO is microbial based and is powered by a number of compounds that create complex modes of action, resulting in a potent biopesticide that is highly active against labeled insects and mites. Control of pests is achieved by unique combinations of repellency, oral toxicity, reduced egg hatch, and reduced fecundity (ability of pest to reproduce). With GRANDEVO’s multiple active compounds and complex modes of action the risk of insect resistance is greatly reduced.

Highlights

Ideal tool to strengthen existing IPM and IRM programs …

Cross-spectrum protection against sucking and chewing insects and mites
Activity against adults and nymphs
Multiple modes of action
Mainstream performance

Can be used during critical pollination periods …

No adverse effects on honey bee survival or brood development; honey bees may avoid treated plants for up to 48 hours

Helps simplify labor scheduling and avoids costly downtime …

4-hour REI
Minimal personal protective equipment (PPE) requirements

Can be used up to the day of harvest without concern for residues …

0-day PHI
MRL tolerance exemption

Provides maximum operational flexibility …

OMRI approved and NOP compliant
Approved for field and greenhouse applications
Apply by ground, air, or chemigation
No spray buffer required

buzzmobile

Veteran
The label lists ALL of the bad actors that come with Cannabis growing. Nice find. Do you know of a source?

I wonder if this product would be effective in the prevention and/or elimination of RA's (Phylloxera), in R/W?

I currently inoculate the rockwool with Met 52 Ec and OGBiowar root/foliar packs and am simply crossing my fingers, unaware of how this effort will protect me from root aphids. I'm hoping this will keep me safer than not using anything. I miss the benefits of a H202 sterile environment , down there in the root zone, but refuse to charge forward with no shields against those brutal little bastards.

I felt like I was the Deathstar and phylloxera was Luke Skywalker. David vs. Goliath

So far the liquid Met and the Biowar are working , but the true test is time

Always looking for new , safe , and EFFECTIVE methods to prevent/protect the nightmare I experienced

panick503

I ordered some. Haven't used it yet. I've heard reports that it's effective against broad mites, but also seen a study that it isn't very effective... So I dunno

Nader

Veteran
Can you link that study that found it wasn't effective? Definitely worth looking into

btw, I do not care for neem much at all. And so many people here spray it on their buds, it's just nasty. If "Chromobacterium subtsugae strain PRAA4-1T and spent fermentation media" was used on their buds instead of neem, i bet that it would smoke better and cleaner

sprinkl

Veteran
Interesting, looks like there are a lot of insecticidal fungi/bacteria available on the market already. Maybe we should make a thread with all the different options?
I have a fungus based insecticide which supposedly only attacks the bad guys. I've used it but dunno how effective it really is, since growing organic I can't say I had a single pest problem... I've a feeling composttea either/both repels insects due to increasing plant resistance and/or by delivering bacteria which attack pests.

sprinkl

Veteran
What I have is called Botanigard ES

Biological insecticide used to control whitefly, thrips, aphids, and many other soft-bodied insects in greenhouse and field crops. Based on the highly successful fungus, Beauveria bassiana, strain GHA, it controls the most troublesome crop pests – even resistant strains. Because of BotaniGard’s superior formulation, higher spore concentration, high viability and proven performance, it outperforms other Beauveria-containing products. When properly applied, BotaniGard’s insect control can equal or exceed that of chemical insecticides.

panick503

Can you link that study that found it wasn't effective? Definitely worth looking into

btw, I do not care for neem much at all. And so many people here spray it on their buds, it's just nasty. If "Chromobacterium subtsugae strain PRAA4-1T and spent fermentation media" was used on their buds instead of neem, i bet that it would smoke better and cleaner

No, I can't remeber exactly where I read it, but I remember it was written in the last year... this was not effective against broad mites mind u. It was a short type study I've seen universities put out where they take a certain number of miticides, some toxic, some not, and after testing them for a period of time, rate the efficacy 1-5. Grandevo got a 1 for broad mites, as opposed to, say, pylon got a score of 5. Now, that's better than having no effect on them, but not great at all. But, grandevo can be used with predators, and can safely be used in flower, so it can definitely have a place in an IPM program. I just decided to go with OG Biowar...

sprinkl

Veteran
It would make sense that using bacteria works better in an organic environment which isn't hostile to these bacteria. Dunno if they can survive or reproduce in minerally fed environments?
That said, growing organic removes most of the need for pesticides, at least IME. Let nature do its work, predators enough as long as you don't create a hostile environment... It's also noteworthy that plants with low Brix levels get attacked first, and high Brix can give immunity to pests.

panick503

It would make sense that using bacteria works better in an organic environment which isn't hostile to these bacteria. Dunno if they can survive or reproduce in minerally fed environments?
That said, growing organic removes most of the need for pesticides, at least IME. Let nature do its work, predators enough as long as you don't create a hostile environment... It's also noteworthy that plants with low Brix levels get attacked first, and high Brix can give immunity to pests.

What? Yah I'm sure the bacteria cares where the plant gets its nutrients from... let's not turn this into a debate on how much better growing organically is than everything else. Why is it that so many organic growers have a holier-than-tho attitude?

Nader

Veteran
OG Biowar did not significantly affect mites or thrips when I used it at a facility I worked at in 2013-2014

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Eh, was going to post the study mentioned above and a few others, but thought to let this play out, and am concious of my frequent ability to respond negatively. It does appear Grandevo is more suited towards targeted pests, and the claims of efficacy as an acaricide are more mild fringe benefit than a sole means of control. I'll post up if I get the desktop going, tablets are a poor substitute.

panick503

Sorry bud... at least I'm guessing u didn't buy the 5 lb. bag like I did... incidentally if anybody wants a 5 lb. bag of grandevo to try out...

U know I was just thinking, I've seen in the same type of study I mentioned above the miticide Kontos only received a score of 2, and people have reported great results using it as a preventative measure against broad mites. Just a little food for thought on what that score of 1 might mean for grandevo... of course Kontos is a systemic miticide as opposed to an ingestion/stomach poison type one...

Last edited:

Limeygreen

Veteran
This company also makes regalia max which is a great tool for suppressing powdery mildew, but it's quite pink. Grendevo is also supposed to kill beetles and such when I talked to their sales rep a couple years ago.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=whxBVcOrE4OyyATclYGYAw&url=http://ir4.rutgers.edu/Ornamental/SummaryReports/MiteEfficacyDataSummary2012.pdf&ved=0CCAQFjAC&usg=AFQjCNH0oCL3Gh7dSBZFDQ4yWxyRGDSYAg&sig2=HfM9X411WeY2_fcbm-JUbg

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=whxBVcOrE4OyyATclYGYAw&url=http://fshs.org/proceedings-x/2011-vol-124/FSHS_vol_124/136-139.pdf&ved=0CBwQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNH4xs0Rx3YJtKTAWkRcCm3vtSYNQQ&sig2=PN_kDzTuCwR_pDvBz_HzCg

Bear with me, desktop is still on the fritz. Both links are direct downloads of PDF files. Can't be fucked to figure out how else to link with this half pint 'puter.

It looks like Marrone is overstating Grandevo for the control of mites, broad and TSSM. It is effective against other pest though, and would be handy to have in reserve.

Latest posts

Latest posts