What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mosaic Virus in Cannabis pics

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
^

Exactly my thoughts...

But keep in mind that a clone subjected to 110 F temp will accomplish the same results.

The other stuff if you have the means.

Norkali

Does this look like TMV? Does to me...Nancy Botwin clone

picture.php

<~Hades~>

Alot of clone onlys all have this virus or trait, ChemD, Even my bluedream. the white, Alomost all the Real OG kushs,......

In time it steals vigor but some of these clones are old....... THe thing is .......All you need to make the symptoms go away is CalmaG.

Kinda like AIDs meds......... All the Clone onlys that have the TMV Hook half yellow leaf all need heavy cal-mag to Veg healthy Moms....If you Keep them happy you will never even see the symptoms........I also have many other clones come and go threw My place, as has alot of us ............THe trick is to treat them Like they have aids and just wash your razor blades down from each mom to the other !!!!

Just plain simple cal-mag is the cure or atleast it suppresses it...

SGMeds

Wandering Roman~

Just have to ask you if you ever had any of these plants actually lab-tested/confirmed for this particular infection?

It seems to me that the majority of pics posted have all popped up on my plants at varying times throughout the years...? But I've never ever lost any portion of a crop to any sort of die off except when I root rotted myself.

I see a lot of micro uptake issues in the pics, which likely is pH interrelated.

Have any of these plants been confirmed infected? Peace

Greenmopho

I have a white widow plant that exhibits most if not all of these symptoms, but it grows some damn strong bud, and I've never had wilting or yield issues with it. I suspected it was viral some time ago, since it showed this pattern from seed. And yes, using a TON of epsom salt pretty much makes it very happy.

I have to ask, how does this virus spread? If I have other plants with this plant on the same res, will it get into the water? I don't see this on any of my other strains, so I have not witnessed it spread. In fact, it seems that with every generation of clones I take, the problem lessens and the plant is getting stronger! I assumed it just needed a ton of Mg to grow....

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_27341.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

IMG_2766.jpg

burnt out og'er
Veteran
I sure wish someone with credible botany credentials would clear up the confusion regarding whether or not it is correct to speak of
a mosaic virus on cannabis as a Tobacco Mosaic Virus.

Personally I feel that calling this "TMV" is a major mistake and an Urban Legend needing to be confronted and laid to rest.

Wandering Roman~

Just have to ask you if you ever had any of these plants actually lab-tested/confirmed for this particular infection?

It seems to me that the majority of pics posted have all popped up on my plants at varying times throughout the years...? But I've never ever lost any portion of a crop to any sort of die off except when I root rotted myself.

I see a lot of micro uptake issues in the pics, which likely is pH interrelated.

Have any of these plants been confirmed infected? Peace

I tend to agree with SGMeds level of skepticism about some of the pictures in this thread btw.
However, there are certainly some that look like a mosaic virus for sure.

Stickying this thread for now.

oldog

I agree that we have no solid evidence that any of these virus
symptoms are from TMV. I searched the net and the only photo I
found of a virus on a cannabis leaf was labelled as TMV, and I
included that photo in my old thread. We don't know. People
post a lot of opinions and do not reference their source.

There are dozens of plant viruses.
I suggest that the seed vendors, and forum members put together and test some leaf samples.
See these two sites:

http://www.plantpath.wisc.edu/soyhealth/virus/techniques/elisa.htm

This site has prices for test kits.
http://www.acdiainc.com/ELISATestsforPlantVirus.htm

But anyway, identifying and naming a particular cannabis virus is not much help.
They are all incurable.
The answer is prevention by following a STERILE cloning process and having NO INSECTS.

Blowstrees

Great idea Oldog. The price for testing is not really that expensive. It would certainly be worth it to test all of one's genetic stock to confirm or deny. Although I'm also totally with you in the fact that proving you have the virus does you no good as there are no remedies. The only benefit would be not continuing to spread cuts of "contaminated" genetics, right?

I'm glad the OP started this thread and provided some great pictures with what certainly seem to be plants affected by MV but like 10k says, who says it's TMV.

Myself, like a few other posters in the thread, see these symptoms in some of there plants. I've been trying to figure it out for some time but never considered it to be virus related. One thing I did want to say also though, is that a lot of the symptoms described here to be "for certain" TMV (and call to action is cull and destroy mode), Also appear because of other factors in your garden. One especially is light leaks and the deformed/ crescent moon end of random fan leaves. Also the plants that show some of the symptoms described by the OP, are also still producing very well with quality medicine. So maybe testing if you are uncertain, (which it seems we all are) isn't the worst idea.

I hope this thread continues to progress with factual discussion. I think I might place an order for some test kits.

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
since it doesn't seem to have a disastrous result on the crop... and doesn't spread.

could it just be a variegation mutation?

Greenmopho

since it doesn't seem to have a disastrous result on the crop... and doesn't spread.

could it just be a variegation mutation?

When I sprouted the seed that I have that shows this, it hasn't spread to any other plants, and I either thought is was viral OR just a mutated seed. Come to think of it, the leaves up high on the stalks, close to the light, do bleach out and become yellow under HPS, not under fluorescents, but this plant produces some serious resin with a tropical guava smell, really oily, and a strong-sativa high that is almost painful, like when your body tingles and you can feel your elevated heart beat! Not my kind of medicine, but some patients love it, and the smell is amazing....really makes it hard to let go of this plant because of some funky looking fan leaves....

Anyone have any info on how it spreads or infects a plant? It shows the symptoms right from germination, the seed already has it. Do the seeds get infected out on their own? Is there much knowledge base about this in regards to cannabis? It doesn't seem that a large healthy plant could just contract this virus and suddenly show all of these symptoms.

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
Thanks for trying to be a voice of reason 10K.

Why don't you guys stop guessing/trying to make diagnosis's from pics?

https://orders.agdia.com/InventoryD.asp?loc=IN&collection=ISK 57400&attribute_Size=25

From this thread

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=134469

-Tom

Thank you Tom,

I found interesting:

"By Vic High, "Looking back, and after learning more about what effects blueberry traits, I wish that I had kept plants that I initially discarded." I believe it was Breeder Steve who was responsible for "Those might be the ones you want!". Then there is Chimera, nobody in this community cares more about the future of cannabis than this man. There he goes again utilizing Blueberry over and over again. Like moths to a flame, you'll see breeders in the know using highly inbred lines full of these type of traits because they understand exactly what likely comes along with it -prepotency."

and

"Soak seeds in 50c (122f) water for 30 minutes, then plunge into cold water, then dry (Maude 1996). Then sprout, grow, select, knock on wood and retest for pathogens. Good luck - Tom

superbolan

Tom. Thank you for the link to the other thread . Very informative, I miss Vic. He was very helpful back in the days of CW. Got some of my most enjoyable genetics through him. Well at least the scare of TMV got me to quit smoking cigs years ago, Now if if i could only break my shisha habit....

Norkali

Threads like these are the reason I love IC, so informative. That testing kit is so tempting to buy, and it really would help to put some of these fears to rest. I would love to test the Chem and OG's that I have.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Excellent information in this thread!

But unfortunately, it's not GOOD information for me :badday:

RetroGrow

Veteran
Some of these symptom pictures sure look familiar.
I recommend aspirin to boost the plants natural immune system. One 325 ml aspirin tablet per gallon of water. This worked wonders on my plants.
Also, physan 20 has been shown to stop TMV in tobacco. Don't know for sure if that carries over to cannabis.

Norkali

$105 and you get 25 assay strips. And I'll bet two marbles and a cookie that it goes down something like this ;) -T

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=2712441&postcount=129

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=2741653&postcount=141

I sure hope so! The more I have read today, the more I am convinced that I need to simply up my Cal/Mag a little more before scrapping anything or doing anything drastic (see: stupid.)

Also, I noticed that you can order only 5 for $27.50, (vs. 25 for $105) That makes it much more accessible. :)

Oh, and a question...sorry if this is obvious, but does the test kit come with everything needed? I take it I don't need the linked tissue homogenizer, as the instructions show a section of leaf going into the 'bag', correct? The 'buffer solution' is included as well correct?

Greenmopho

Some of these symptom pictures sure look familiar.
I recommend aspirin to boost the plants natural immune system. One 325 ml aspirin tablet per gallon of water. This worked wonders on my plants.
Also, physan 20 has been shown to stop TMV in tobacco. Don't know for sure if that carries over to cannabis.

I've always gone with ~160mg per gallon of aspirin, crushed.

Can you show some supporting info about physan 20 before everyone with some streaking on their leaves runs and kills their plants with ammonia?

Latest posts

Latest posts