What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A plee for your health

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
Stacking sunglasses doesnt compare at all to the shade 5 welding goggles i feel. I used to stack 2 pairs of sunglasses and still came out feeling like the bulb was killing me.

Sandnut

eye protection for hps?

eye protection for hps?

I noticed everytime i was doing some work in the grow cab my eyes hurted really bad cause of the strong lights, and afterwards it took a couple of mins to retain sight to normal level,

im currently using sunglasses which im overlapping to save my eyes but i can hardly see what im doing , and if i just use 1pair of sunglasses i'll still get irritated eyes..

im currently just using cfls and when im stepping up to the 400w hps im really gonna need a solution for this, what do you guys use when you gotta do work when lights are on?? are there any special glasses for this purpose?

M

Mitch Connor

I didnt use any protection for the first few weeks after that I couldn't take it. I borrowed my gramps' old welding mask, makes me feel like I'm workin in a space station Q(''Q)

BPJR

I never enter my grow without UV protected sunglass on. Have about 4-5 pair sitting near the entrance as well as some floppy hats. I figure the cumulative effect over years of growing has got to be very bad for your eyes.

Lowes or Home Depot have good cheap options.

pokergod

There was a great thread about protecting your eyes, get welding googles #5 shade. They work great you can even look at the bulb without causing sensory overload.

mikeross

I'm using some versace glasses I use to rock back in the day... the girls in the room think I look gangsta lol.

Seriously though I am gonna buy some of these... just got to track them down locally.

0adba81daa0bfc2d14d09bdc60802b2b.jpg

mikeross

^^^^^ those are sick because you can flip the protective lenses up when you need to get a better look at whats your during. Like while doing leaf cleanups ect.

I have been thinking about this lately too. If I am working in my cabinet with a 400w hps for more than 15 mins the room seems pitch black once I close the cab even with all the lights on and an hour later my eyes feel like they are sunburned.

if u run a blue enhanced hps id be even more cautious, there a sticky on the damage one grower had running a vertical circular witha mh bulb, really fucked his eyes up for life, i sun gaze , and im up to 30 plus minutes, my eyes are great but even looking at a 150hps for a second tells me something isnt so good here and that its a bad idea to expose your eyes to it, were a hat in your rooms or some glasses and never look at mh bulbs with all that uv n blueish light, terrible for your eyes, if u squint u should be looking at the source of light that makes u squint.

G

guest121295

Regular horizontal growing doesn't really bother me but vertical bulbs are an entire irritation unto themselves, you just have to wear glasses. I'm no doctor, believe that, but I know when my eyes hurt!! I'm the only long term chronic repeat cultivator I know who's been around 1000W lamps for over 25 yrs and I can still see but things aren't getting any better....:) I just don't know anybody to compare myself with...

couchlockd

my dog scratched my eye one day and it felt like i wanted to die it hurt sooo bad.

i ended up sitting in bed unable to sleep with my eyes slammed shut.

then i remembered i have to do somme work in the room. i get up and know itsw gonna be a pain, so i use the "unpoked" eye, as i thought it would be okay. WRONG. it felt like some one punched me in the face when i opened that door. i then tried my eye that was injured and i fell over.

untill that day i never thought of the possibility that i should protect my eyes. now i do i use my welding mask that is auto dimming with a #5 shade.

R

Rysam

You can get a pair of cutting torch goggles like the flip up ones above for less than 10 bucks. I got mine at ACE hardware for 7.99 Oh, they work good for cutting metal too.

G

guest121295

I've been welding on boats for years and regular 4 hr welding runs on aluminun with a TIG gun are nothing compared to what my eyes feel like after my 1st summer of vert. My yields were off the charts but my eyeballs are in a wheelchair!! I just can't see the plants well enough with any welding specs, so I'm leaning back to flat lighting but some of the bombass buds I had make me hesitate....:)

whodair

Veteran
i can barely enter my verti room when lit, so less time spent in the grow is less chances of me screwing things up !!

As you are all probably growers of a material that reduces inter-ocular pressure with the quickness, and cures cancer and various other diseases: I would recomend adding to the eye protection a healthy diet of simpson oil and carrots.

Seriously you all grow medicine, now use it some more :) (like pot growers need an excuse to smoke more right?)

Last edited:

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree that horizontal lights arent too bad for the eyes but man do the vertical ones ever make you see spots for minutes after exposure. I got myself some of the shade 5 welding glasses off Amazon . com and they are great I still try not to look at the arc tube still with them on but definitely worth the $11-13 dollars I paid!

Latest posts

Latest posts