What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to Neutrally do Open Pollination - predominance early Male?

romanoweed

How to do it neutrally, meaning rather preserving as a Goal. rather than stabilizing a Strain.
I want a HOW TO explonation.

romanoweed

I already have some 2 different Postings on that Idea:

1st:
if you have one male, and a female, then the male pollinates, and seeds take around 5-6 weeks to form.. after that your males polinates further, if you dont kill it.. then your female will be pollinated again, as soon as your seeds have finished forming.. and they will make another seedrun, up to 3 times or so... so, as soon as seeds formed in 5 6 weeks the females are open again for beeing pollnated. So and if you have now 3 males it s unshure wich one will pollinate, atleast when 3 are Standing there/starting pollinisation at the exact same time. So when one male is a bit earlier, it will atleast make seeds all himselve for the first run of seeds, and after the first Serie of seeds has formed , then all the other males will have the same Chance to make the babies for this time..

romanoweed

2nd:

In fact I have seen it myself – at least to a certain extend.

When I pop seeds, I transfer any promising looking males to another room where they can flower and where I can collect their pollen. I also transfer any left-over clones that I don’t give away to the same room; they are then used for seed production by open pollination.
As of yet, there has always been one male dropping it’s pollen prior to the other males, either because it was in fact faster flowering or because it was planted earlier.
Depending on the temporal difference between the males flowering, you can see the female clones developing seeds prior to any other male flowering. Now, since the clones are generally very small (I only use clones in very small pots that were stuck in the transplanting queue for quite some time) it’s pretty easy to get an idea of how many seeds are forming on each clone. With that given, it’s rather easy to tell whether there are any more seeds forming after another male releases its pollen. From what I can tell, this is not the case. This impression is corroborated by my observation that the offspring of these clones consistently shows traits from the earliest flowering males (or at least the line the male stems from) but not from the later flowering males.

But even without all that, I still think what J-Icky said it’s self-evident: A fully or mostly pollinated female will pump all of its energy into producing seeds: It won’t produce much more bud matter and it also stops producing resin after it got pollinated because it only develops flowers in order to reproduce and it (more or less) only produces resin to make the pollen stick to its flowers (the resin also seems to serve other purposes though, such as UV-protection and to work as a natural insecticide).
If a female is only partly pollinated and not all of its energy is needed to develop seeds, it keeps developing buds as well as resin in order to produce even more seeds. In this case, later flowering males still have a chance to pollinate it as well.

If it wasn’t the case that the female changes its hormonal balance after being fully/mostly pollinated and therefore pumping all of its energy into seed production, its growing behaviour wouldn’t change as dramatically as it does.
And if it wasn’t the case that this is a one way road and the females would be able to develop even more bud matter even after being fully/motsly pollinated, any open pollination would result in the females developing thousands and thousands of seeds, no matter how wimpy they are. This is clearly not the case. In fact, it would beg the question why any pollinated female should stop producing seeds at all, when there's flowering males present.

Mohadibs how to:

a comparatively safe way to make sure all the males can contribute to the pollination is to collect pollen of every male and hand-pollinate the females one by one. Depending on the number of males and the possibilities one has to seperate plants from each other, this might be a lot of work though.
An easier way would be to collect pollen from all the males, mix it up and then letting it pollinate the female plants all at once. If you have a male that's flowering a lot earlier than the others, so you have to store it until the other males are ready, I'd add a larger amount of this pollen to the mix, as time will have an impact of the viability on the pollen, no matter how well you store it.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have absolutely zero experience with breeding.

I do have some older seeds I plan to grow out and do an open pollination with the plants that survive to A - preserve the genetics. and B - find a very special plant hidden somewhere in this gene pool.

My gut instinct from my initial research on the subject reflects what Mohadib said - collect the pollen and dust the females en masse.

But there definitely is some credibility to tracking individual crosses if you plan on hanging on to the males to possibly find a stud to hang on to, if that is something you're looking to do. But that would be a fair amount of work, even if dealing with a small batch of plants. A pack of seeds is typically 10 seeds. 5 males and 5 females is 25 sets of seeds to track and sift through.

This line though -
A fully or mostly pollinated female will pump all of its energy into producing seeds: It won’t produce much more bud matter and it also stops producing resin after it got pollinated because it only develops flowers in order to reproduce and it (more or less) only produces resin to make the pollen stick to its flowers (the resin also seems to serve other purposes though, such as UV-protection and to work as a natural insecticide).
- complete hogwash. The trichs are not there to catch pollen.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I already have some 2 different Postings on that Idea:

1st:
if you have one male, and a female, then the male pollinates, and seeds take around 5-6 weeks to form.. after that your males polinates further, if you dont kill it.. then your female will be pollinated again, as soon as your seeds have finished forming.. and they will make another seedrun, up to 3 times or so... so, as soon as seeds formed in 5 6 weeks the females are open again for beeing pollnated. So and if you have now 3 males it s unshure wich one will pollinate, atleast when 3 are Standing there/starting pollinisation at the exact same time. So when one male is a bit earlier, it will atleast make seeds all himselve for the first run of seeds, and after the first Serie of seeds has formed , then all the other males will have the same Chance to make the babies for this time..
I disagree with this, without any real scientific knowledge of the subject, but based on cannabis being a annual plant - it lives and dies with every growing season. It survives through it's seeds.

Again, this all conjecture on my part - when a female plant is pollinated, it puts all of it's energy in to producing seed, and then dies to drop it's seed. It won't keep going and stacking flower to keep trying to collect more pollen because by the time it's done maturing the seed it already has, it's the end of it's growing season.

Fuel

Open pollination in small scales is maybe the most destructive way to handle a line imho. You have the high pressure of low numbers (big genetic leverage), without the control than offer an accurate breeding plan.

To maintain a line in such conditions, you have no other choice than referencing the most phenotype's occurrences you can then splitting them in dedicated lines. I respect hopes and believes, but in practice the delta of preservation can't be reached in rolling dices.

romanoweed

Fuel
and if you buy rare expensive seeds, you can only but 10, or say you wanna get AHOLD of a Line at first, then you are in the same trouble as i heard, if you doo Selections based on your limited knowledge of the Strain. Thats what i hear all to often. People fucking up Lines when Selecting based on preffered Traits.
Thats what i heard. And if you have 300 Seeds from a Seedrun i would prefere to reproduce that Line with 300 very small Plants. Does only take 3 four Suare-Meters.. This way i have atleast a part of the Genetic preserved.
Correct me if im wrong. How to get ahold of a Line the save way? Im speaking of rather stable Landraces.

romanoweed

Look: You can either:

1st :select say 5 plants out of hundert to become Parents for Reproduction.

or:

2nd: do open Pollination with all 100 Plants, and therefore including the 5 Plants you otherwise would have selected too.

How is that more Genetic loss on the 2nd Method, if you still have the 5 exact same good plants (geneticwise) included in bouth cases?

Or is this wrong thought.? There is same amount of good genes preserved, just not as selected, but that you can do later. Or is this creating a more muddy Offspring, nearly impossible to selectively breed afterwords..?

Last edited:

Fuel

Well, the "ten unknown seeds" scenario is not a context which can lead very far by definition (in term of method) until you produce a decent number of F2. Then you will discover only in F2 if you was lucky or not.

In this scenario, i will personally isolate each interesting couple in a dedicated line. To maximize my chances to have a decent F2 line somewhere, but also to keep the lines isolated from each others. To buy time, you're not always in possession of a line with (true) genetic values than can last a decade of work. It can be a BX than will require retro-selection to inject again the dynamic, it can be an inbred line allready "washed", it can be also a landrace which have difficulties to acclimatize to your context ... the number of usual worries is pretty high and it have a lot more leverage than to refuse to assume a selection on a tiny scale (at this point).

Now on a personnal side, it's important to share something at this point of the conversation : when i buy seeds, i focus the financial effort to a single line and it's generally a big order on which I've spent months of searches. Because the market is what it is today, i'm blaming a quality decrease since 20 years and with all this hemp you can smell in (EU) events, i think it will last another decade at least.

Just to quote one example on my daily smoke : the Jack Herer/Sensi. End of 90's, a single pack was enough to extract valuable specimens (in term of genetic value again, it's not all about the smoke), so easy than at this moment you can't believe than sensi will let this expensive "flag ship" strain fade out. Ten years later, you're back at it but have to spend 1.5K to reach the same interesting pivot point in term of expression with the ability to maintain it.

And for me this situation is systemic, the prices are a lot more sweet than before (generally) but the cost of quality have drastically increased. Like any market than is just finishing its saturation phase. I can find tons of JH variations everywhere but to extract the specimens i need, the costs are now multiplied by ten. It's not always about the hyped seeds or about a zone 51 weed, a lot of classic lines than we all guessed "eternal" are fading out from their original sources. And behind the fancy names of strains, these classics are the major backbones on which rely most of releases since the 90's.

On it, i will join your philosophy : it's time to backup your favorite weed before including it in your "sorry over safety" list.

Also, i never buy or include in my pool something than i don't known. It have no sense for me in term of breeding. The exploration time is over for me since a while, i'm focused on what i love to smoke and to grow the most only. Nothing legendary or "bankable", mostly 90's classics. I just try to stay in touch with the cuts of the moment, but it's always first with an Oz in a zip ^^

Let's enter more in details now.

I refuse technically to split a rare hybrid from a rare landrace : the ground is the same, the genetic constraints are the same and the goal is the same. Then the methodologies required to best handle the equation. Pro constraint or not, it doesn't matter.

In your hands full of seeds, ready to be germinated, you have a panel of specimens build with the same equation : the linked traits defining the strain + let's say a bonus and/or a malus.

If you don't sort out these specimens with enough time, you're simply running in a guinea pig wheel. At the end of your first open pollination, there is no gain and due to the extremely narrowed panel of P1, the ground is full of mines.

These mines have the tendencies to fight hard to survive genetically, specially with landraces used to fight against mother nature herself.

It can be a group of terrible latent herms than will fuck up your lines for good. And no, killing all early males don't offer any form of guarantee. The "afghani madness" back in the day is maybe the best example than the rules of the selection must be totally build for the line launched. Killing all early males in a tall 12 weeks line, why not after all, but on a 50 days afghani it don't have any sense. Open pollination or not.

Btw, each time you "brute force" the genetic code on one of the main trait defining the strain ... you always sign for a nightmare with cascading effects. For the best or the worst, it will mostly depend on your effort of documentations + your experience with similar or child lines.

To don't select the pollen donor outside an industrial context with a true culture of real time datas-management is not a method. It's doing nothing. How to preserve something on which you don't work and on which you have no control ? It's just making seeds for making seeds, the easier way possible and without any reward for the efforts. You can't acquire the necessary knowledge to spot all the genetic sub-groups and best deal with them this way. But you can blame 100% the plants with a good amount of bad faith ^^

Generations after generations, you quickly understand than swimming in selection is like watching a fractal design generated by a computer. The patterns are defined by the strains, but the global movement is defined by the sum of the genetic values.

Let's take a thaï as silly example. Let it grow in a corner without human interaction (at all, you just sow the seeds in your garden) and if the specimens will not change much in their patterns, you can be sure than you will end fast with a fiber strain with a strong and wild sexual dynamic.

Most of sexy landraces are not exactly "feral" but more a "hack" of the original patterns to give an global artificial dynamic than is making the strain more in compliance with the psychoactive needs of humans. At the point, in some parts of the planet, to be considered religiously and maintained as it. Now with the easy access of DNA tests, we known also now than most of landraces we appreciate are artificial. The majority are blends made by humans among centuries.

So, the point is than whatever is the strain you want to work, you have to understand first the tensions than are working against you. In rejecting this process, the only thing you can do as blind breeder is to destroy the inherent qualities of the line and worst, to eventually destroy the potentiality of further evolutions.

On the method, you have losted me a bit with your comparison. I don't get the point.

- 5% become P1 : ok but why ? It's something you can't determine before having the plants in front of you. Is the 5% a justified high grade pattern ? A very accurate phenotype (than is implying to known the strain like your childrens over a bunch of generations at this rate of pressure) ... at this point it don't have any sense to determine your level of pressure. I will eventually write this kind of blueprint with a JH in the quest of the most "lemony/THCV" phenotype eventually, but the source of the decision have a solid "knowledge" structure from which i can make a specific method for this specific operation. A breeding plan in another words.

- The second option is more rationnal for my taste, and have partially more sense to me because i can see the will to create a "fail-safe" in the process. That's, imho, basically what you have to do every-time for everything if you want to lead somewhere at long term, i assume this pretty radical sentence. I assume also my manner to ignore true weed artists, they are an ultra minority.

I don't find the thought wrong at all. Because the fail-safe. Now in practice, the methodology don't sing anything to my ears.

Let's consider the pollen first. On a popular side, the males are totally rejected from the equation today and the pollen considered like a kind of magic dust made with industrial constraints. All grains are the same, no concept of pollen maturity (just like the flowers of females), no difference in pollen quality from one strain to another, and most of people are considering than the male are sending diploid informations to the females like Fedex.

And it's the first problematic. The vegetal mass is just the bardcod of what is going on inside, and in this game the major part of your time is spent to avoid uncontrolled drifts.

Do you really want let a chance to all latent herm to fuck up your line ?

Do you really want than this "too vigorous to be honest" male, with it's grains made from titanium, pollenate the whole pool with an increased ratio ?

Do you want minimize the genetic ratio of this fabulous potent female, just because she take her time to flower ?

Which male of the pool will be at it's optimal peak of production when the pistil of this female will be plushy ?

Neverending headache, and imho that's a big layer of worries you can avoid with a bit of methodism.

Let's extrapolate a stupid example to finish.

Breeder XYZ : no experience at all on anything, zero line under the belt, zero long term errors, none strain known, don't known the majority of classics.

Material : ten seeds of the line ABC bought with a kidney, and discontinued for good.

Context : small scale, let's say 1sqm on which a "soggy" style is planned at a the density of 100 specimens/sqm. Basically soda bottles filled with plants, with all space used.

- Open pollination : it will be a very dangerous "void round". The only thing you get is more seeds.

- 5% selection (but from a true breeding plan, with traits listed, references etc) : the line become a process of creation. The output is something "wanted" and than will be worked afterward in quest of stabilization. Off course, it have a price. And the more pressure you put on this unique line, the more the price will be expensive. You reduce the "genetic cone" of the strain to highlight a specific zone than you love.

Polemic : the quality of the preservation in this context is highly polemic for the more radicals. A very minor portion of them have legit reasons.

This polemic is a freaking hypocrisy lol I will personally consider this type of work for my own genpool as eventual backup to get. It will mostly depend on what is smoking daily the breeder involved and if he/she really known the strain since enough time. I will not judge the method but the person in this specific case.

Because i prefer 100 times this kind of line, made by someone than is smoking and refining what i'm searching since years ... over a commercial open pollenisation or a "be my free guinea pig because i strictly don't known what i'm doing" case ^^

- a kind of pro-active preservation :

First case, the breeder XYZ is very fresh to the game and is thinking than selecting a mother to clone&smoke is the same thing than selection an initial P1 which will be the main source of genetic material for years ... of thousands and thousands of specimens.

In this case, i will play the fail-safe card full throttle and will plan a "lifetime operation". It's not a big deal with ten seeds to make a line for each possible combination, and you will save more expression potential than in avoiding selection.

The pro : you have passed time to watch the plants, to backup all these combinations let you enough time to grow : making motherplants, clones, a couple of batch for weed etc ... giving you a decent knowledge of each specimen in details. For further conclusions.

The cons : it's not compatible with larger scales, and have no sense in a professional context. You have more chances to be fired the first week this way than impressing someone in the game.

Second case is very similar to the first one, at the difference than the newcomer XYZ is educated.

Over to backup everything and take years to make his conclusions, the breeder XYZ will split the ten seeds in sub-groups then isolate these subgroups from each others. The difference is not obvious on the paper, but in practice it's totally another world.

In the first case, the breeder think than the genetic code is "finished" and all eventualities hardcoded in the plant.

In the second case, the breeder is surfing the waves of the strains in maintaining them. And he known than the genetic code is a kind of algorithm : the physical traits are not the real information, and this algorithm have an unique function : to generate another code for each couple of specimens.

The pro : you have virtually no limits but your learning curve.

The cons : it take a large slot in your global breeding plan (of the whole genpool you're keeping alive), so it mean to work with less strains to be insured to lead somewhere a day. Specially with landraces than are a lot more complex to map than a modern hybrid using a tiny panel of well-known-since-decades "backbone's classics".

Both ways to do the things are suffering from the initial point : only ten seeds. It put the twos breeders on the same level of opportunities on the stair. The shared fate being the luck.

But only one of them will build a solid momentum each generation.

No i have to react to a little thing :

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Selections based on your limited knowledge of the Strain. Thats what i hear all to often. People fucking up Lines when Selecting based on preffered Traits.
[/FONT]

Most of the lines i'm sad to can't buy anymore in their initial quality was made by decent persons, than was far more experienced and skilled than me at this time. I can eventually fall in the easy thinking and blame them.

The fact is than everybody is equal in face of the specific constraints of breeding, and than most of active players are doing it from the underground. Even the legendary "brick and mortars" companies have to cheat the system and play the grey area until very recently. It create unnecessary worries in the logistic than can end with originbal line you lose.

Also, even in optimal conditions, you work with a living material. It mean than the start and the end of the story is not scripted like a computer code. We can talk about the Chronic, the bubba kush and a bunch others strains than have now "timeline references". Pre98, Pre2000 etc ... and we are not specially talking about "wannabees" with zero knowledge and experience.

In your considerations about it, you have include the main phenomenons :

- the domination of the fems on the market, in term of sales, and without being naive about our community. Go strainly and see how many fem cuts are offered, not hard to extrapolate the deleterious blowback and the cuts than are not declared as fems.

- the appeal for strains is very narrowed. We still in the "all dawg" period and when it's not the case it's mostly classics recycled/outcrossed with fancy stories. At the point than it start to be a real problem for a fews americans grow op (large scale). One more time it's useless to blame the people producing this stuff, they have to live in answering to a demand.

- the inherent difficulty to maintain a genpool during decades. Underground or not, we are for me "doomed" from the start. By our lifespan first but also by the fate to have to always going ahead in the creation process. I have personnaly re-created my genpool 5 times from scratch : bitchy life, bad choices, bad trade, compromises ... nothing is really writed for good in this game.

I understand your opinion, and i'm maybe a bit more radical and harsh on the subject than you. Not complaining about the narrowed commercial genpool, more on how the democratization have lead to a fast food strategy.

But it's important to remember the context to don't fall in "shoot them all and think after". Human selection is responsible of jewels we are pleased to play with today, imho more than the nightmare generated by the lefty liberalism of our stoned industry.

all the best for your projects, and keep this "fail-safe" reflex as long than you can.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I am not a breeder, but I do have strains I would like to preserve. This is my plan for them as soon as I have the plant numbers and resources.

Sprout them all. Take cuttings for clones as soon as possible and sex under 12/12 lighting. Use ALL the plants, regardless if they're strong or weak or whatever, because you're preserving a limited pool of genetics at this point. Culling is for breeding, which is an entirely different subject.

Flower out the males and collect, dry, desiccate and properly store the pollen. (So it'll still be viable 10 years from now).

Flower out the female clones by reversing them. Collect, dry, desiccate and properly store the pollen.

Flower out the female seed plants, pollinate them with a full mix of all the pollen sources. This will give you an even mix of genetics in seeds to preserve and work with.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Well, the "ten unknown seeds" scenario is not a context which can lead very far by definition (in term of method) until you produce a decent number of F2. Then you will discover only in F2 if you was lucky or not.

In this scenario, i will personally isolate each interesting couple in a dedicated line. To maximize my chances to have a decent F2 line somewhere, but also to keep the lines isolated from each others. To buy time, you're not always in possession of a line with (true) genetic values than can last a decade of work. It can be a BX than will require retro-selection to inject again the dynamic, it can be an inbred line allready "washed", it can be also a landrace which have difficulties to acclimatize to your context ... the number of usual worries is pretty high and it have a lot more leverage than to refuse to assume a selection on a tiny scale (at this point).

Now on a personnal side, it's important to share something at this point of the conversation : when i buy seeds, i focus the financial effort to a single line and it's generally a big order on which I've spent months of searches. Because the market is what it is today, i'm blaming a quality decrease since 20 years and with all this hemp you can smell in (EU) events, i think it will last another decade at least.

Just to quote one example on my daily smoke : the Jack Herer/Sensi. End of 90's, a single pack was enough to extract valuable specimens (in term of genetic value again, it's not all about the smoke), so easy than at this moment you can't believe than sensi will let this expensive "flag ship" strain fade out. Ten years later, you're back at it but have to spend 1.5K to reach the same interesting pivot point in term of expression with the ability to maintain it.

And for me this situation is systemic, the prices are a lot more sweet than before (generally) but the cost of quality have drastically increased. Like any market than is just finishing its saturation phase. I can find tons of JH variations everywhere but to extract the specimens i need, the costs are now multiplied by ten. It's not always about the hyped seeds or about a zone 51 weed, a lot of classic lines than we all guessed "eternal" are fading out from their original sources. And behind the fancy names of strains, these classics are the major backbones on which rely most of releases since the 90's.

On it, i will join your philosophy : it's time to backup your favorite weed before including it in your "sorry over safety" list.

Also, i never buy or include in my pool something than i don't known. It have no sense for me in term of breeding. The exploration time is over for me since a while, i'm focused on what i love to smoke and to grow the most only. Nothing legendary or "bankable", mostly 90's classics. I just try to stay in touch with the cuts of the moment, but it's always first with an Oz in a zip ^^

Let's enter more in details now.

I refuse technically to split a rare hybrid from a rare landrace : the ground is the same, the genetic constraints are the same and the goal is the same. Then the methodologies required to best handle the equation. Pro constraint or not, it doesn't matter.

In your hands full of seeds, ready to be germinated, you have a panel of specimens build with the same equation : the linked traits defining the strain + let's say a bonus and/or a malus.

If you don't sort out these specimens with enough time, you're simply running in a guinea pig wheel. At the end of your first open pollination, there is no gain and due to the extremely narrowed panel of P1, the ground is full of mines.

These mines have the tendencies to fight hard to survive genetically, specially with landraces used to fight against mother nature herself.

It can be a group of terrible latent herms than will fuck up your lines for good. And no, killing all early males don't offer any form of guarantee. The "afghani madness" back in the day is maybe the best example than the rules of the selection must be totally build for the line launched. Killing all early males in a tall 12 weeks line, why not after all, but on a 50 days afghani it don't have any sense. Open pollination or not.

Btw, each time you "brute force" the genetic code on one of the main trait defining the strain ... you always sign for a nightmare with cascading effects. For the best or the worst, it will mostly depend on your effort of documentations + your experience with similar or child lines.

To don't select the pollen donor outside an industrial context with a true culture of real time datas-management is not a method. It's doing nothing. How to preserve something on which you don't work and on which you have no control ? It's just making seeds for making seeds, the easier way possible and without any reward for the efforts. You can't acquire the necessary knowledge to spot all the genetic sub-groups and best deal with them this way. But you can blame 100% the plants with a good amount of bad faith ^^

Generations after generations, you quickly understand than swimming in selection is like watching a fractal design generated by a computer. The patterns are defined by the strains, but the global movement is defined by the sum of the genetic values.

Let's take a thaï as silly example. Let it grow in a corner without human interaction (at all, you just sow the seeds in your garden) and if the specimens will not change much in their patterns, you can be sure than you will end fast with a fiber strain with a strong and wild sexual dynamic.

Most of sexy landraces are not exactly "feral" but more a "hack" of the original patterns to give an global artificial dynamic than is making the strain more in compliance with the psychoactive needs of humans. At the point, in some parts of the planet, to be considered religiously and maintained as it. Now with the easy access of DNA tests, we known also now than most of landraces we appreciate are artificial. The majority are blends made by humans among centuries.

So, the point is than whatever is the strain you want to work, you have to understand first the tensions than are working against you. In rejecting this process, the only thing you can do as blind breeder is to destroy the inherent qualities of the line and worst, to eventually destroy the potentiality of further evolutions.

On the method, you have losted me a bit with your comparison. I don't get the point.

- 5% become P1 : ok but why ? It's something you can't determine before having the plants in front of you. Is the 5% a justified high grade pattern ? A very accurate phenotype (than is implying to known the strain like your childrens over a bunch of generations at this rate of pressure) ... at this point it don't have any sense to determine your level of pressure. I will eventually write this kind of blueprint with a JH in the quest of the most "lemony/THCV" phenotype eventually, but the source of the decision have a solid "knowledge" structure from which i can make a specific method for this specific operation. A breeding plan in another words.

- The second option is more rationnal for my taste, and have partially more sense to me because i can see the will to create a "fail-safe" in the process. That's, imho, basically what you have to do every-time for everything if you want to lead somewhere at long term, i assume this pretty radical sentence. I assume also my manner to ignore true weed artists, they are an ultra minority.

I don't find the thought wrong at all. Because the fail-safe. Now in practice, the methodology don't sing anything to my ears.

Let's consider the pollen first. On a popular side, the males are totally rejected from the equation today and the pollen considered like a kind of magic dust made with industrial constraints. All grains are the same, no concept of pollen maturity (just like the flowers of females), no difference in pollen quality from one strain to another, and most of people are considering than the male are sending diploid informations to the females like Fedex.

And it's the first problematic. The vegetal mass is just the bardcod of what is going on inside, and in this game the major part of your time is spent to avoid uncontrolled drifts.

Do you really want let a chance to all latent herm to fuck up your line ?

Do you really want than this "too vigorous to be honest" male, with it's grains made from titanium, pollenate the whole pool with an increased ratio ?

Do you want minimize the genetic ratio of this fabulous potent female, just because she take her time to flower ?

Which male of the pool will be at it's optimal peak of production when the pistil of this female will be plushy ?

Neverending headache, and imho that's a big layer of worries you can avoid with a bit of methodism.

Let's extrapolate a stupid example to finish.

Breeder XYZ : no experience at all on anything, zero line under the belt, zero long term errors, none strain known, don't known the majority of classics.

Material : ten seeds of the line ABC bought with a kidney, and discontinued for good.

Context : small scale, let's say 1sqm on which a "soggy" style is planned at a the density of 100 specimens/sqm. Basically soda bottles filled with plants, with all space used.

- Open pollination : it will be a very dangerous "void round". The only thing you get is more seeds.

- 5% selection (but from a true breeding plan, with traits listed, references etc) : the line become a process of creation. The output is something "wanted" and than will be worked afterward in quest of stabilization. Off course, it have a price. And the more pressure you put on this unique line, the more the price will be expensive. You reduce the "genetic cone" of the strain to highlight a specific zone than you love.

Polemic : the quality of the preservation in this context is highly polemic for the more radicals. A very minor portion of them have legit reasons.

This polemic is a freaking hypocrisy lol I will personally consider this type of work for my own genpool as eventual backup to get. It will mostly depend on what is smoking daily the breeder involved and if he/she really known the strain since enough time. I will not judge the method but the person in this specific case.

Because i prefer 100 times this kind of line, made by someone than is smoking and refining what i'm searching since years ... over a commercial open pollenisation or a "be my free guinea pig because i strictly don't known what i'm doing" case ^^

- a kind of pro-active preservation :

First case, the breeder XYZ is very fresh to the game and is thinking than selecting a mother to clone&smoke is the same thing than selection an initial P1 which will be the main source of genetic material for years ... of thousands and thousands of specimens.

In this case, i will play the fail-safe card full throttle and will plan a "lifetime operation". It's not a big deal with ten seeds to make a line for each possible combination, and you will save more expression potential than in avoiding selection.

The pro : you have passed time to watch the plants, to backup all these combinations let you enough time to grow : making motherplants, clones, a couple of batch for weed etc ... giving you a decent knowledge of each specimen in details. For further conclusions.

The cons : it's not compatible with larger scales, and have no sense in a professional context. You have more chances to be fired the first week this way than impressing someone in the game.

Second case is very similar to the first one, at the difference than the newcomer XYZ is educated.

Over to backup everything and take years to make his conclusions, the breeder XYZ will split the ten seeds in sub-groups then isolate these subgroups from each others. The difference is not obvious on the paper, but in practice it's totally another world.

In the first case, the breeder think than the genetic code is "finished" and all eventualities hardcoded in the plant.

In the second case, the breeder is surfing the waves of the strains in maintaining them. And he known than the genetic code is a kind of algorithm : the physical traits are not the real information, and this algorithm have an unique function : to generate another code for each couple of specimens.

The pro : you have virtually no limits but your learning curve.

The cons : it take a large slot in your global breeding plan (of the whole genpool you're keeping alive), so it mean to work with less strains to be insured to lead somewhere a day. Specially with landraces than are a lot more complex to map than a modern hybrid using a tiny panel of well-known-since-decades "backbone's classics".

Both ways to do the things are suffering from the initial point : only ten seeds. It put the twos breeders on the same level of opportunities on the stair. The shared fate being the luck.

But only one of them will build a solid momentum each generation.

No i have to react to a little thing :

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Most of the lines i'm sad to can't buy anymore in their initial quality was made by decent persons, than was far more experienced and skilled than me at this time. I can eventually fall in the easy thinking and blame them.

The fact is than everybody is equal in face of the specific constraints of breeding, and than most of active players are doing it from the underground. Even the legendary "brick and mortars" companies have to cheat the system and play the grey area until very recently. It create unnecessary worries in the logistic than can end with originbal line you lose.

Also, even in optimal conditions, you work with a living material. It mean than the start and the end of the story is not scripted like a computer code. We can talk about the Chronic, the bubba kush and a bunch others strains than have now "timeline references". Pre98, Pre2000 etc ... and we are not specially talking about "wannabees" with zero knowledge and experience.

In your considerations about it, you have include the main phenomenons :

- the domination of the fems on the market, in term of sales, and without being naive about our community. Go stainly and see how many fem cuts are offered, not hard to extrapolate the deleterious blowback and the cuts than are not declared as fems.

- the appeal for strains is very narrowed. We still in the "all dawg" period and when it's not the case it's mostly classics recycled/outcrossed with fancy stories. At the point than it start to be a real problem for a fews americans grow op (large scale). One more time it's useless to blame the people producing this stuff, they have to live in answering to a demand.

- the inherent difficulty to maintain a genpool during decades. Underground or not, we are for me "doomed" from the start. By our lifespan first but also by the fate to have to always going ahead in the creation process. I have personnaly re-created my genpool 5 times from scratch : bitchy life, bad choices, bad trade, compromises ... nothing is really writed for good in this game.

I understand your opinion, and i'm maybe a bit more radical and harsh on the subject than you. Not complaining about the narrowed commercial genpool, more on how the democratization have lead to a fast food strategy.

But it's important to remember the context to don't fall in "shoot them all and think after". Human selection is responsible of jewels we are pleased to play with today, imho more than the nightmare generated by the lefty liberalism of our stoned industry.

all the best for your projects, and keep this "fail-safe" reflex as long than you can.

TLDR ...

romanoweed

Just wanted to say to Fuel, i edited my Posts after yours, it was not very useful information, and let it look like your description was not useful, but it was. Thanx

Still, one thing, in open pollination im not to sure that plants revert in direction wild so fast as you seem to imply. Even you give an interisting explonation, with the word pressure, you say pressure would do soething to my line in open pollination. I will google this therm now, since you , and others used that alot.

I may use open poll, and the 5 percent selection method... the method of crossing everything looks to like to much physical effort,hahaha way to much... but actually mindeffort would be low, just trial and error..

Last edited:

Fuel

[/FONT]

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Breeding is not like sharing a recipe of pudding on instagram, it's a highly relative hobby/job requiring tons of (relative also) details to don't fool people.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
But let's try to be more short without spreading a "magic spell of breeding" and letting people think than a methodology of selection can be universal for all genotypes.

The keys are simply adaptation and background, but it take tons of pages to explain due to the inherent versatility of the materials.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Atleast the open pollination relaxes me than abit, as a Newbie. Yes Eventual its not endless dangerous, but, abit it is still, right?[/FONT]

This fear of the fail is not rationnal. Even (true) geneticists produce errors in reading directly the code and the markers. Accept more your chances to win the race, and give it a try. You can fail at preserving a genotype, but you have to be really skilled to fail to improve the average quality of its phenotypes. In in all, you can't really fail with a solid and rationnal strategy.

I'm producing an average of a dozen of "void lines" per year, these lines will genetically lead no where but roasted in a salad. But they are responsible of the main lines than i'm maintaining and keeping in the pool. Without them, i will be unable to evolve my core lines. That's the price of my personal strategy, i prefer do produce my "bad lines" from something i known than buying them over and over without any sight on the parents.

The bad new is than you have to map again your plants each generation no matter the methodology, with the previous knowledge. The good new is than the accuracy is better each generation.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Or how to accept Degeneration, so not too much Fine Details are Eradicated , but also not to much Potency?[/FONT]

In general, it's rare when the chemotype is hit by the inbred degeneration. Most of the time that's the whole vegetal mass health than is limiting the potential of the plants, and it exist empiric methods to counter-act that. But it mean mapping and selection again.

You have equal chance to obliterate a specific expression with small scale open pollination and small scale selection. The difference being than with selection, you known why and you can rewind to adapt your strategy, then avoid the problematic combo for now and later developments.

The dominance game should be the first concern, and depression considered as a late concern only with the genpool management. Most of wannabe never reach and experience this state, to be short then harsh ^^ This plant is solid.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thanx for your very detailed laying out your Thoughts! In short i understand it. As: Open Pollination , and your Plants will loose just what they had, without any way back(inbreeding-selection). Then you compare small Selection, with actually crossing every male/female-combination, but further on in the next run start to conclude while SEEING the individual combis growing out, and also to(doo to imense size needed) hold on to the best lines. Or yeah, if you are bliigates, you can hold on to everything. [/FONT]

Without entering in the details : yes. But it's also right in the case you're lucky as fck.

After the O.P., you stay uneducated on what you have done.

After the selection, you exactly known what is producing the "good" and the "bad" combos. Then you can drastically optimize the use of your space and your time in the further selections. And it's exponential with each additional generation you're working. After years, you're no longer "select" specimens but you "extract" directly what you need from your core lines.

You have allready understanded that, but you should remember than all decisions should be made with the momentum. Or you're in an experimental phase where you can't set "goals".

Unfortunately, i have no Energy and Time left to do this in my illegal Country
[/FONT]

It's what i was thinking at the begin, when i've leaved the guerilla grow for indoor. Today i grow mainly to make seeds. Without it, i will stop to grow and buy my weed directly. And i will be sad today to no longer smoke "tailored" weeds for my tastes ...

This is a little additionnal layer to a "traditionnal illicit homegrow". You're not forced to open a seedbank and to fight against the titans of this market ... and i will dare to say than you have a great advantage on these goliaths : you have all the time you need, not only 6 months to create a new burger for the mass.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]you call open poll a Method where Plants revert to a rather Wild Plant[/FONT]

It's relative to your strategy, more. You can do an open poll in a 100% clay soil to generate a specific segregation (let's say high PH strain), or to sow in late to generate a new dynamic of selection in term of flowering window ... basically i will call that an acclimatization.

I personnally use open poll mainly to re-invigorate the defenses of pure indoor lines (making them more compatible with industrial needs), or for extreme experimentations (in the vein of the examples i've given).

But in the absolute, it's letting the chaos of the wild-life driving the line and set its own priorities. It's rare when it's compatible with our modern tastes of stoners. If the landrace have reached its peak of diversity in offering a pretty stable smoke ... why not favorizing the most valuable specimens ?

Your landrace is perfect but : taste and potency.

Why not to create a line dedicated to the taste, one dedicated to the potency and one main line than is just "wild" ... then juggle with the three in function of what you need generations after generations. One year you can work on the "taste" line, the other year on the "potency line" etc ...

Another example with the same project : the "main line" is worst to smoke each new generation but more and more vigorous, and the "potency line" is becoming weak but send you to orbit in one cone ... crossing your "potency line" with your "main line" is a maintenance for me. So partially a preservation.

This way you keep your initial sap as it, see how it evolve. And if you lost its specific taste and/or potency, you have a fail safe to inject without committing an outcross than will shuffle the deck of cards again. And eventually obliterate a panel of initial phenotypes by the heterosis "funnel".

Note : Don't imagine than focusing the selection on only one trait is easier than maintaining a line as a whole, the equation still the same and you have to map well your specimens to insure a result trough the fails, or trough an offspring than is below the standard of your previous reference.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I dont wanna learn Breeding, if not needed EVEN i an a passionate Person.. i just have no time.[/FONT]

Too bad, it's allready what you're doing in searching a methodology which is compatible with your environment.

IMHO, you overestimate greatly the context. You want to work with an unique line with moderate pressure, not to maintain a wide spectrum (genpool) able to generate catalogs of competitive hybrids.

The thing than you need to learn the more is to set a decent timeline of your project. By decent i mean "rationnal". 30 years for only three generations, it's a bit excessive ^^

Seriously, we can talk about genetic degradation with levels of inbreeding than are far away from the F3 ^^

F1->F4 : it's all about successive segregation, the time than the line find it's balance trough your selections. For me a line than is imploding at this state is just a burger to eat on the street, not to serve in a restaurant.

Landraces generally can handle twos digits IBLs without even showing a depression. It's more a concern with modern hybrids created with narrowed sources, or eventually intensive backcross releases.

i reread your Post, and you say open Pollination is like stagnation. But in the positive view? Whats left. It cant all go to Nowhere in no time (one generation).
[/FONT]

One generation is enough to fuck up a whole line, at different degrees. One single deleterious specimen is all it need, open poll or not. But it stay an human error, to assume and learn from. On another hand, one generation is nothing for the DNA. You have the possibility to correct this kind of error with a solid methodology : BX program on your reference, retro-selection and so on ... the tool box is big.

I'm speaking about stagnation of the person, not the plants. The plants will apply a more drastic selection than an human because it's a systemic selection. I make a loop on "drived open poll" with clay soil, late sow ...

"What's left" is the true core of the subject in fact. No matter what you do, there is always something in left by the type of the reproduction of this plant. Each specimen only share a partial information, and each couple is an equation of segregation. Even for a S1.

You have twos tanks of 100 liters to pour in a new tank of 100 liters. The thing is than you don't control the rate of the pumps, they balance themselves how many liters of A and B will be present in the new tank.

Imagine now than inside the tank, you have a fews of little balls. So 100 slots for 200 balls. Each slot being made with multiple balls and representing a genetic potential. Then the addition of these genetic potentials, create the expression of a single trait (let's say the "sphere" of it's expression without entering in the linked traits subject)

I'm not trying to discourage at all, but to present the paradox of not accepting to deal with the natural segregation and the will to preserve something.

You can take the equation in all sense possible, with only ten seeds you have to make the maximum possible of lines(different couples) and to keep living references for further comparisons.

The uneducated approach is the more painfull : you have to cross everything, judge the offspring, repeat ... in practice you have more chance to stop breeding this way and becoming one of these raging wannabe saying than breeding is just bullshit because too random. They just don't understand than quantitative breeding need industrial scales, then yeah this way they can produce one elite clone per year and per line. And it's not garanteed than the clone will have genetic value. Where are all these Cheese, Chem4, Underdawg etc... stabilized reg lines if it was so mechanic ? Basically that's the difference between a White Widow and an Underdawg, the genetical value than can't be judged in a cone.

The educated approach learn you to read the segregations trough living patterns (let's say sub-groups). It don't give you super powers, but the guarantee to map your genetic and to evolve as a person in the knowledge of the material you're using. It require to understand what is the genetic compounds of the traits you're dealing with, by empiricism mostly.

You can drive a line in juggling with a dozen of its traits and a cascading consideration about the genetic potential.

But you can also drive your line with a minimal approach, on feeling, with a lot less pressure on your goals.

At the moment you stay rationnal in considering the genetic ground and take disposition in case of errors, you will lead somewhere. No matter if your devote your time to it, or if it's just a passion.

So please more Details regarding Results of: 5-Percent Selection vs open Pollination,
or : please more Details regarding : Kind of Loss per Time in bouth cases.
[/FONT]

5% case

You known exactly the ratio, 95% of the pool will be erased from the equation. But let's say than you have choosed in this 5% the ambassadors of the line. The bosses of each phenotype's subgroups (yes, mendelian breeding).

The result is than you offer to yourself the possibility to work independently each "main trait" defining the strain. Then learn faster it's genetic mechanisms, isolated from others equations. You don't care with the line "potency" to lost days in the "cloning performance", so you can focus only on the potency and all it's collateral leverages. Maybe the maximum potency can be reached only with slow cloning specimens, maybe the "clear high" is only possible with K hungry specimens etc ...

While you're pushing the specialization to ridiculous levels, you also learn what is going on when you touch the button.

It make the situation more easy to CHOOSE what you are preserving or not, which compromise for which average.

The result is the control, the knowledge, and the predictable results after a fews rounds.

About the lose : i've not to complain about lines than have more than twos decades and than are staying "structured" on their initial reference : hybrid and landraces. It don't mean than i've not made a bunch of eronous generations to reach this state. Somes are very hard to manage, they took only an half dozen of generations since, and others have a filiation number than is no longer possible to share with modern stoners.

Each time than you will "lose time", it's at the benefit of your accuracy. The loss in term of specimens is always a choice.

Open poll case

People think than the whole pool will be used but it's not the case. Grains of pollen are not equals, male are not equal in term of pollen yield, and their maturation are not equals also. Same on the female side.

But, you're preserving the inner genetic dynamic to the point to let it drive the whole strain. The epigenetic become a main factor this way, obviously.

The thing is than you can do it at any step, in F2 or in F30 ... it's very fast and easy to wash totally the human footprint in cannabis. It stay a stupid annual than return "wild" pretty fast.

The problem being than not all specimens are reliables, and than not all specimens are defining the strain. Open poll' include them in the pool.

Like the swan sing, an ultra recessive pattern can produce, one time, a fews "terminator" specimens than will dominate the next twos generations before disapearing for good. Like an Eclipse lol And many intermediary scenarios like that.

The open poll is psychologically good, but technically bad if used without solid drives, rationnal reasons and a context than is enough large to mathematically create a neutralizing dynamic. And epigenetic put aside ...

Better in this vein to flower all your males in one time, mix their pollen in a vial then "paint" your females with it at your rythm. The output will be more streamlined, even if not so different, but far more easy to drive in your context for the same level of results. More easy for the planification also if you have a tiny veg space, or just none.

The loss is mostly your lifespan. What you're able to do with the 5% in a decade in this context, you will maybe never do it in an entire life with open poll. Reacting to a negative mutation included.

Now sincerely, between

- a line with no cares, full of herm and with unmastered averages

- a line maintained on its best phenotypes with stable sexual expression

I will choose the "breeded landrace" without any hesitation. She have the more chance to last because pleasant to grow, pleasant to smoke and pleasant to share, like the very minor portion of landraces blends we are using today and than we call "modern hybrids".

I repeat, you whole context don't permit to differentiate the level of difficulty of both strategies. The main difference will be what will drive your decisions as soon as the first generation : luck factor on the open poll, building a momentum for later on the 5%.

romanoweed

I wanna ad for newbies: when fuel talks about open pollination in clay, he means that enviromental factors make an open pollination no more a neutral pollination, and that is also if not planned very fast reached, also indoors. your enviroment shapes, atleast to a certain degree open pollinations outcome. your soil does it, your lights etc... And if you do this in extreeme, in a wanted case, then you can perform a selection, with the rather neutral open Poll. Then you get a clay-selection...

romanoweed

Ok, took me a Week to get to a conclusion of Fuels Post!

It basically anwsered all my Questions regarding open Pollination, it makes very Sense in its entirety, after a Week of constant overthinking. Just a glimpse, i conclude that open Pollination, wont work forever (atleast in small Numbers) and the Dynamic will one Day lead to degradation of the Crop, BUT probably rather not after 1, 2 Generations, and thats why its a good Exploring the Line-Tool, or a risky for many Generations, but in return effortless Broadband-Preservation-Trait Tool and shouldnt be let out. It can be backedup with the selected version of the Line , once it degraded remarkably.. And i see, i better transfer pollen by Hand from every male to every Female, to avoid enviromental, or other hidden Selections occuring while open Pollination.

So, could someone other anwser me two remaining Questions, wich are rather about the Breeding process overall:

1: I plan to separate; once Males showed Sex, all Males from Females. So i would have two separate outdoor Spots/or Indoor-rooms. Is it possible to have many different Males in one spot very close together, without the Risk, of collecting an other Males pollen when collecting a certain ones Pollen? I suggest i could wait after a strong Rainfall/shower them indoors, then put pollination Bags on, as soon its a little dried (only a little) , and wait a Week or two, until new pollen has formed and fallen into the Bags residuing on the individual Males.

2: Am i right, that to determine wich is a desired Female for keeping/Selection, one has to rely on the Look, Smell , Apperance backed up by Memory of how the say Potency-Plants looked ? so you would remember (and have Photos) that the Plant in front of you looks quiet like the Potency-Plants, so you would take this one for the Potency-Selection.. And
ONLY when Planted the Resulting Seeds from Selection you would know if you was right, or not.. And is Stem rubbing, or smoking whats already minimal Crystally a Tool? What do you use?

Last edited: