What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

FIRST Grow -Seedling problems

Spacejeezy

Hello all! First grow here. A little info to hopefully help. My seeds are big kush in a soil perlite mixture. The soil is organic Fox farm. Running 18/6 600w LED. Proper drainage , 60% constant humidity , 77f lights on , 69 lights off. It’s been just about 5 days since watering because I feel I over watered them. They aren’t crunchy or showing signs of needing water, drainage is good but soil still moist about a knuckle length down. I’m worried I messed up and won’t be able to save them. Any help would be appreciated! I attached a photo for reference.

Attachments

• 054B1274-7CC8-4000-A500-06B562E2440D.jpeg
    054B1274-7CC8-4000-A500-06B562E2440D.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 23

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Hello all! First grow here. A little info to hopefully help. My seeds are big kush in a soil perlite mixture. The soil is organic Fox farm. Running 18/6 600w LED. Proper drainage , 60% constant humidity , 77f lights on , 69 lights off. It’s been just about 5 days since watering because I feel I over watered them. They aren’t crunchy or showing signs of needing water, drainage is good but soil still moist about a knuckle length down. I’m worried I messed up and won’t be able to save them. Any help would be appreciated! I attached a photo for reference.

You are doing fine. Don't water until soil no longer feels moist when you stick finger in. Over watering causes all kinds of issues.

Spacejeezy

You are doing fine. Don't water until soil no longer feels moist when you stick finger in. Over watering causes all kinds of issues.

Ok thank you! They are kinda dry today, still showing serious signs of over watering on most. I’ll leave for another day.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Ok thank you! They are kinda dry today, still showing serious signs of over watering on most. I’ll leave for another day.

Watering was something that was problematic for me.
New growers don't realize that different plants at different stages of growth are going to take different amounts of water.

For instance: a small seedling or plant in a ( relatively) large pot. I used to soak the entire pot, it would take for ever to dry out. The small plant can't transpire that much water, so you are waiting for soil to dry on its own thru evaporation.

Now I water much less, but only near the plant. As the plant grows, (and starts to use more water) I use more water, and direct the water further out to edges of pot.

Good luck!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Watering was something that was problematic for me.
New growers don't realize that different plants at different stages of growth are going to take different amounts of water.

For instance: a small seedling or plant in a ( relatively) large pot. I used to soak the entire pot, it would take for ever to dry out. The small plant can't transpire that much water, so you are waiting for soil to dry on its own thru evaporation.

Now I water much less, but only near the plant. As the plant grows, (and starts to use more water) I use more water, and direct the water further out to edges of pot.

Good luck!
... later you can water your plug but... if you planted in an oversize pot, water the outside rim, so the roots search for water. That is what makes healthy roots.

Furthermore, if you have somewhat moist soil, 1 cup (8oz) is all you need for seedlings (in a 5gal pot). I like to water every 3 days. I use a moisture meter and pot weight. W D D F D D W, Where D=dry, W=water and F=feed

Spacejeezy

Thank you for the replies guys! I am receiving a scale to weigh and a moisture meter today actually! It’s just odd that they are still showing signs of over watering even though the soil is drying out. I guess another light cycle will tell!

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
... later you can water your plug but... if you planted in an oversize pot, water the outside rim, so the roots search for water. That is what makes healthy roots.

Furthermore, if you have somewhat moist soil, 1 cup (8oz) is all you need for seedlings (in a 5gal pot). I like to water every 3 days. I use a moisture meter and pot weight. W D D F D D W, Where D=dry, W=water and F=feed

Ahh. I'm doing it backwards? I try not to water directly on stem to prevent stem rot, but usually closer to center than the rim.
I'll try it your way on some.

Thanks Switch.

Spacejeezy

Oh wow! So I am over watering for sure then in my solo cups! A cup to 5 gallon is not what I thought. I have got to figure out the water situation quick.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Oh wow! So I am over watering for sure then in my solo cups! A cup to 5 gallon is not what I thought. I have got to figure out the water situation quick.
I grow in HP Promix. I use jiffy plugs to pop my seeds, after germination in paper towel. Then, I only spray with H20 to wet the plug. After 1st serrated leaves appear (tghe roots are at the bottom of the plug sneaking out), they go into a 4" pot, where they may get a couple of ounces (dunno). I transplant in 5gal pots at week 4 in veg.

I water or feed at a rate of 1.5l every 3rd day, always starting between the stock and the pot rim, finishing with the plug.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Thank you for the replies guys! I am receiving a scale to weigh and a moisture meter today actually! It’s just odd that they are still showing signs of over watering even though the soil is drying out. I guess another light cycle will tell!
You don't need a scale! You just need to know how they feel/weigh after a "proper watering" compared to when they need to be watered. I only use my moisture meter when in doubt.

My last grow, out of 4 plants, one only wanted 1.25l vs 1.5. I simply adjusted her needs with my schedule.

Spacejeezy

You don't need a scale! You just need to know how they feel/weigh after a "proper watering" compared to when they need to be watered. I only use my moisture meter when in doubt.

My last grow, out of 4 plants, one only wanted 1.25l vs 1.5. I simply adjusted her needs with my schedule.

Half of my group were popped in jiffy and then transplanted into solos. Could that be an over water issue? Soil on the outside is dry but plug is moist right now.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Dunno what you are using for soil. Jiffy is peat therefore retains more water that soil.

Once you transplant into a 3 or 5 gal pot, do not water the plug. AAMOF water between the trunk and rim of the pot. The moisture will wick from wet to dry and the area around the plug will be moist, read moist not wet. The roots will grow laterally (read, a really, really good thing) in search of water, rather than heading to the bottom of the pot, where water does collect.

Wrt your findings, your plug moisture "should" have leached towards the dry soil (outward), from the plug. If you watered the transplant in the solo cup, well that could very well be why they are over-watered. I mist my plug and plant in my soil, which is not dry, not moist but not wet neither. It is just right. I can take my plug and not water for a day or two after transplant. This is where you need to pay attention. Your plant will dictate how thirsty they are. Expect them to be thirsty as you have more mouths (roots) to feed/water. The more roots you have, especially the fine feder roots, the easier the plant can uptake and perspire :)

Until you get the hang of this shit, insert your moisture meter 1/2 the depth of the pot and as close to the plug as you can. Why? That's where your roots are, growing laterally from the plug.

BTW I use cloth smart pots. They do perform differently than the std plastic pot. If I send my probe to the bottom, I get a fault negative e.g they are dry, because air can circulate under the pot in my set up. 2 inches from the bottom and my plants are fine. This is where the pot weight becomes evident. If you are due to water, and the pot feels heavier than when they require water, check with your meter. Your meter will confirm your reservations. But, weight is the better judge as to, when to water. I got my grow dialed in, that I only weigh my pots perhaps 25% of the time ang go by my schedule. At times, the odd plant is not behaving like the others, I bring that plant into line. Sometimes it is a passing phase, and sometimes she will drink less that the others until she finishes.

Some proponents don't like having the plants trained to your schedule (man made) I am not from that camp.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Half of my group were popped in jiffy and then transplanted into solos. Could that be an over water issue? Soil on the outside is dry but plug is moist right now.

Everyone does things differently.
But, for me and my environment, I find I don't have luck with seedlings in jiffy pellets.

I lost a bunch a while back because of over saturation. I find germinating seeds in the paper towels and then straight in to a small pot, then step up as needed.

However I love jiffy pellets for cloning. I soak till expanded, then squeeze out excess, poke hole, insert cut. Placed in my humidity dome, they stay hydrated, and I don't have to give them water till rooted and time for transplanting.

But you gotta take many different methods you hear about and learn which works for you in your environment.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Everyone does things differently.
But, for me and my environment, I find I don't have luck with seedlings in jiffy pellets.

I lost a bunch a while back because of over saturation. I find germinating seeds in the paper towels and then straight in to a small pot, then step up as needed.
I don't germinate in jiffy pucks.

However I love jiffy pellets for cloning. I soak till expanded, then squeeze out excess, poke hole, insert cut. Placed in my humidity dome, they stay hydrated, and I don't have to give them water till rooted and time for transplanting.

But you gotta take many different methods you hear about and learn which works for you in your environment.
That right there!

Spacejeezy

Dunno what you are using for soil. Jiffy is peat therefore retains more water that soil.

Once you transplant into a 3 or 5 gal pot, do not water the plug. AAMOF water between the trunk and rim of the pot. The moisture will wick from wet to dry and the area around the plug will be moist, read moist not wet. The roots will grow laterally (read, a really, really good thing) in search of water, rather than heading to the bottom of the pot, where water does collect.

Wrt your findings, your plug moisture "should" have leached towards the dry soil (outward), from the plug. If you watered the transplant in the solo cup, well that could very well be why they are over-watered. I mist my plug and plant in my soil, which is not dry, not moist but not wet neither. It is just right. I can take my plug and not water for a day or two after transplant. This is where you need to pay attention. Your plant will dictate how thirsty they are. Expect them to be thirsty as you have more mouths (roots) to feed/water. The more roots you have, especially the fine feder roots, the easier the plant can uptake and perspire :)

Until you get the hang of this shit, insert your moisture meter 1/2 the depth of the pot and as close to the plug as you can. Why? That's where your roots are, growing laterally from the plug.

BTW I use cloth smart pots. They do perform differently than the std plastic pot. If I send my probe to the bottom, I get a fault negative e.g they are dry, because air can circulate under the pot in my set up. 2 inches from the bottom and my plants are fine. This is where the pot weight becomes evident. If you are due to water, and the pot feels heavier than when they require water, check with your meter. Your meter will confirm your reservations. But, weight is the better judge as to, when to water. I got my grow dialed in, that I only weigh my pots perhaps 25% of the time ang go by my schedule. At times, the odd plant is not behaving like the others, I bring that plant into line. Sometimes it is a passing phase, and sometimes she will drink less that the others until she finishes.

Some proponents don't like having the plants trained to your schedule (man made) I am not from that camp.
This was the most informative response I’ve ever gotten! Thank you! I did water transplanting into my cups... that’s my problem then. Over watered. So with that being said, whats my outlook on them turning around and when do I know to water again or if they are going to be able to be saved?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
U R welcome :tiphat:

I see you got a dble solo cup going there. WTF is up with that? :) If you stop trying to drown them (LOL) they will be fine. Not trying to be ignorant here but, you will have to digest what was said here and put it into practice. I don't know what you did. I don't have a visual on your girls etc...

This is a good reference... The Cannabis Encyclopedia ~ Jorge Cervante <--- written in layman terms :) Now break a leg :)

Spacejeezy

U R welcome :tiphat:

I see you got a dble solo cup going there. WTF is up with that? :) If you stop trying to drown them (LOL) they will be fine. Not trying to be ignorant here but, you will have to digest what was said here and put it into practice. I don't know what you did. I don't have a visual on your girls etc...

This is a good reference... The Cannabis Encyclopedia ~ Jorge Cervante <--- written in layman terms :) Now break a leg :)
That is something I wanted to do to see my roots. So it’s a clear solo cup with drain holes and then the red solo has drain holes as well. The clear solo cup sits 1/2 inch higher in the solo so no run off issues and good oxygen penetration to my roots :) I will stop water boarding my plants, digest this stuff and get back to the girls !

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Yea it's gonna take a bit of trail and error, good thing your in the right place!!! Just be very easy with seedlings. I use a spray bottle for a few wks and kinda give them small amounts of water for awhile. Ive used solo cups but I really like the small Styrofoam cups. I like to get a good root system in those cups and transplant to 3-5gal. Usually about 2wks in little cups then I transplant. I use Ocean Forest/Promix with 30-40% perlite added to it or more. But if you got more seeds try different cups and experiment some until you figure it out. Make sure to use good water, and learn to ph your nutes and you'll be just fine. Give yourself a few grows friend, and good luck