What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

WV SP 250 test/grow

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Hello, I first wanna thank the very kind and generous folks at Mars Hydro for the chance to test this LED. I'm gonna start out by saying I don't know much about LED lighting. Ive always been a magnetic ballast grower over the yrs.

Now I'm gonna get into the SP 250. It arrived in a very small box that was extremely well did, there's some little wood slaps that really add support. I opened it up and wow I must say it's a very nice looking well built light. It's very small 42in long and it's very thin probably 2in or so. It's got a BIG ballast on top and nice louvers on the side. Ok when I plugged it in I was amazed how bright this sucker is, my wife couldn't believe it lol. But im gonna post some pics of this LED and go from there.

Also please no trolling,

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=80220

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Hello, I first wanna thank the very kind and generous folks at Mars Hydro for the chance to test this LED. I'm gonna start out by saying I don't know much about LED lighting. Ive always been a magnetic ballast grower over the yrs.

Now I'm gonna get into the SP 250. It arrived in a very small box that was extremely well did, there's some little wood slaps that really add support. I opened it up and wow I must say it's a very nice looking well built light. It's very small 42in long and it's very thin probably 2in or so. It's got a BIG ballast on top and nice louvers on the side. Ok when I plugged it in I was amazed how bright this sucker is, my wife couldn't believe it lol. But im gonna post some pics of this LED and go from there.

Also please no trolling,

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
More pics

Attachments

• 20190507_183153.jpg
    20190507_183153.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 20190507_183418.jpg
    20190507_183418.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 20190507_183318.jpg
    20190507_183318.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 46
  • 20190507_183722.jpg
    20190507_183722.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 57

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Well as you see it's very thin, it's not very heavy really. But my plans are a 2x4 area with a couple big plants. Ive already got tons of seedlings but will probably have a special couple strains to start. I'm really looking forward seeing what this LED will do. I'll get more into the grow soon. There's a link on YouTube showing a guy turn up the wattage on the ballast i wanna up link so everybody can see.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
First off no im not running the SP 250 with these, I just figured I could hang it and get a feel of how hot it is, and just let it run for awhile. These things are crazy bright, Mars Hydro Id take the HPS down and do a big 6x6 grow or something and grow some monsters like these. There very lite weight and easy to setup. There's very little heat, it's nothing compared to MH/HPS lights. Id love to have several of these babies I definitely could put them to use. But I'm gonna pick what seeds im gonna use, Ive got about 10-20 seedlings I'm putting outdoors I might keep them under the LED until I germ what I wanna run in this SP 250 test. Ill probably start several and if it's to crowded maybe put it outdoors. I definitely like to get at least 2-3 big plants. I'm running some strains right now that are pretty impressive, I'm leaning towards maybe doing one of those. But the main thing is to grow some nice plants with the SP 250, in about a 2x4 area, these lights fit my basement good especially after I get my white poly put up.

Attachments

• 20190512_205419.jpg
    20190512_205419.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 52
  • 20190512_205324.jpg
    20190512_205324.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 59

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
A few pics to show how much smaller and easier to use the LED is. A grow room wouldn't be as hard to setup using LED that's for sure

Attachments

• 20190512_205341.jpg
    20190512_205341.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 20190512_205353.jpg
    20190512_205353.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 54

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I'm going kinda get into my growing style. I'm going be using a mixture of Promix and Ocean Forest....probably 4:2 ratio, with around 40% perlite added to that, dolomite lime, just a good simple mix. I use alot of Fox Farm nutes along with some others. So im probably gonna use 5gal containers.

Ok I'm gonna germ some seeds to get started. I'll probably add at least 8-10 to start and maybe put a few outdoors, at try to get 2-3 good size plants grown under only Mars Hydro SP 250. This is such a sleek light compared to the air cooled hoods MhHPS. I gotta go to the Dr Wed but I'll hopefully get some seedlings going in the next few days. I'll get some pics of only the SP 250 , It's almost like a bright light, just regular color. So if for security reasons you don't want the weird colors from some LEDs , HPS/MH etc, this is another good advantage this light has. There's definitely alot of pros I see with the light. Now for the real test, see what the plants look like under it. And hope to harvest some beautiful plants

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Another thing I forgot to mention is just in a side by side test with the LED and MHHPS lights, is the LED seems to penetrate through your plant and helps in lighting the lower part of your plant. I might be wrong but just looking it definitely seems like the LED is good at getting to the lower part of the plant. We'll notice more as we go along.

CaptnCrunch

I have some plants vegging under the SP-250 and they are doing great! I really like this light.

Attachments

• 5-10-19.jpg
    5-10-19.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 58

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Thank you very much for your detailed and professional review, looking forward to your girls under SP 250

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
I have some plants vegging under the SP-250 and they are doing great! I really like this light.

Looking good friend, Ive got some seeds that's just popping tails. I'm hoping by the weekend there sprouted and I can get started!!! I'm very excited to try this LED out, and get a few nice plants going under it!!! I'll give updates on my soil mix and everything ie feeding and what knot as we get there.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Ok so I left the LED in my flowering room a few days until some of my seeds germed, sprouted etx, I'm going start several more strains besides these, But I've got some Cannarado Genetics Dubble Sundea, and Grapeology along with a couple others that should be breaking dirt soon. Also some Cali Connection Bellini and Lemon Tart . I'll get some pics as I've moved the LED to my seedling area to get started !!!

Here's a few buds I got pics of under the LED, and onto the seedlings next!!!

Attachments

• 20190518_225412.jpg
    20190518_225412.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 48
  • 20190518_225705.jpg
    20190518_225705.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20190518_225435.jpg
    20190518_225435.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20190518_225511.jpg
    20190518_225511.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 45

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Yea I've worked my ass off getting this half basement I grow in at least half way were I want it. But im just starting a grow from seeds that's gonna be using the SP 250 so stop back in!!!!

I picked up my sp-250 on 420 sale I've got 3 autoflower strains started under it and they love it.
Started out at 36" above the new seedlings and have recently moved it down to 30" with no sign of too much light yet. Might try it at 24" next week.
Following along to see how you make out.
Feel free to visit my journal as well.
Have a knife day
StaySharp

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Looks great, yea just the few days I had it in my flowering room i really like it. I'm just getting some seedlings started and germing more. I started Ocean grow Cookies, and Moby Dick im getting into some dirt now. I'm gonna start some stuff under the SP 250 and put whichever plant or plants I decide on in flowering and the ones I don't have room for im gonna put outdoors. Ive got Cannarado Genetics Dubble Sundea, and Grapeology, and Cali Conn Bellini, and Lemon Tart. Also a few others im gonna start to kinda give my options on what to flower, And also see how other strains do in Veg.

Latest posts

Latest posts