What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nitrogen Fixing Trees

'Boogieman'

Where I live we have Black locust with autumn olive in the understory. Both can be invasive but all the wild blackberry brambles and other plants get huge.

Hastings

Some of the best gorilla grows I ever did back in the last 70s and 80s took place deep in an alder swamp. I made hill piles of swamp muck early in the spring, and planted my plants on each "island". No fertilizer needed or watering either. The plants would always outgrow the ol' alder trees. I could literally visit these plants twice, once to transplant in the spring, and then to harvest in the fall. Lol

The wonders of nitrogen fixing trees!

pinkus

Veteran
Redbud (Cercis cannadensis), Mesquite (Prosopis gladulosa) are a couple of trees I know of that fix nitrogen. Both are very common where I am. Redbud I have seen Canada to Mexico.