What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

dry vaporizers

Hank Hemp

Veteran
Wife wants to get us a vape for Yule! Any recommendations would help. Little experience with vapes.

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
For dry herb I love my Pax3 (and Pax2 - just a little slower warming up)
For everyday use - all day long :dance013:

After a week I didnt miss my pipe or anything else. :)

P :smoker:

RB56

Veteran
I like Arizer's portables. Solo II, if you want an all around that doesn't need to be super portable - still battery powered and smaller than a soda can. AirGo if you need super portable. Have 4 Arizer portables. Never ad a problem.

JD-4-2-0

Wife wants to get us a vape for Yule! Any recommendations would help. Little experience with vapes.

If your budget is not too restrictid look at anything by Storz & Bickel. The Mighty is an awesome portable and their Volcano is the best home device too.

If your budget is less I also like the PAX 3. Good little portable and is very easy to use.

Samuel Caldwell

My wife and I were daily smokers for years but we're fairly new to the vape world. I love my vapcaps! It's the closest I've found to joints or my old one hitter. Elegantly simple design and big, full hits.

My wife prefers the simplicity of her Fury 2. It's very smooth, I'm hitting it this morning before heading off to work. They've both got their advantages for different situations.

Lots of great options out there right now. I changed my mind lots of times while researching. You just need to figure out your needs and preferences. Best of luck!

RB56

Veteran
I've used a bunch of vaporizers but none of the others mentioned here, so this is not a comment on any of them. It's important to me not to have plastic in the vapor path. Used to have one with a plastic mouthpiece and found it nasty. Arizers are just stainless steel, ceramic and glass in the path. Others recommended here may have the same. I'd want to be sure before buying one.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I just recently bought my first one, and so I did a bunch of research only a few months ago that's still relevant today... if I had been able to afford it, I would have gone with the Arizer Air 2. I still plan on buying that one as our second vaporizer, when our budget does allow for it. But to get started, after lots of research, I went with the Boundless CF. It's the less-expensive version of the CFX, and the only real difference is that it doesn't have an electronic screen, and you can't adjust the temperature in 1 degree increments (it just has 5 preset temperatures that are 15 degrees apart).

The Boundless vapes are known for their ability to successfully vape all forms of dry herb, from entire, whole nuggets, to flowers that were crumbled by hand, to flowers that were ground in a grinder. In addition to that, it doesn't require the entire bowl to be filled and/or tamped down in order to vape properly... in other words, it will be successful no matter what form your dry herb is in, and even if you put less in there than is required to fill it up. That trait right there is extremely important for me, because there are times when I don't want to finish a whole bowl, and I also don't want to waste what gets left behind (it's a hybrid convection/conduction vape, so there is convection going on, and that does mean that the herb will still keep heating up for a brief moment even after the vape is powered off). Also, I wanted it to be a vape that I could let my wife or my mother in law use without requiring my help, or a learning curve at all. So Boundless was the winner for me. The CF had all of the features I needed without having to go up to the CFX. It works, too, boy. It's really impressive how well it works with such small amounts. The taste at first was weird, and took some getting used to, but now I don't even want to smoke a bowl anymore because that "toasted" flavor has grown on me and it tastes very pleasant! Also, all the parts are extremely easy to clean, and literally only require soaking in isopropyl alcohol for a short while.

I still plan on getting the Arizer Air 2, which will be MY vaporizer for around the house, and road trips, but then the Boundless can be the one that we take out in public, due to it's visual stealth factor. It looks like a regular old e-cig style box mod.

RB56

Veteran
Boundless CFX is the one I had with the plastic taste. Also got very difficult to clean after a few months. Wasn't bad other than that, but that's why it currently lives in a drawer.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Boundless CFX is the one I had with the plastic taste. Also got very difficult to clean after a few months. Wasn't bad other than that, but that's why it currently lives in a drawer.

I have to admit I don't get a plastic taste from it, but you're not the first person I've seen say that. I don't know if I'm just not detecting it, or if they've recently changed something. I honestly don't know. But all I can say is that I never taste plastic, and I consistently vape on the highest setting (remember, the CF only has 5 settings, so I don't know how the highest on the CF compares to the highest on the CFX).

As far as cleaning goes... yeah, I can imagine if you wait that long to clean it, there will be problems. Shit, I've already learned that if I don't empty it out within ten minutes of powering it off, the screen in the lid, where the mouthpiece connects, gets resinated and requires being scraped with the dab tool instead of being able to be brushed with the cleaning tool. So I empty it after each use, brush it down (the screen and the basket area) with the cleaning tool, and then immediately plug it in. Because, I forgot to mention before, I find the battery time to be a bit sub-par. That said, as long as I just remember to charge it after every use, it's a non-issue.

After a few months goes by, when I do dismantle it and soak all the sticky parts in alcohol, I guess I'll learn how easy it is to clean the thing. But I haven't had to yet.

RB56

Veteran
I'll be the funny taste you noticed at first was the plastic taste - it goes away after a few days of use. I loved the Boundless until I started needing to clean the mouthpiece. Took at least a few weeks before I had to do it the first time, but after that, it seemed to be every few days. You can buy new mouthpieces, but they taste like plastic until used for a while too. Didn't want to have to replace parts that really shouldn't need replacing as a part of normal maintenance and didn't want to perform what is a pretty messy cleaning process, every few days.

Hope your experience is better.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
No, the funny taste was absolutely that "toasted" taste. I had recognized it from a previous experience I had using someone's Volcano. It's specific to vaped flowers. But what you just said made me remember something: when I was watching reviews on the thing, a few people kept saying that by doing a "burn off" in the very beginning, before ever using it, you will prevent some nasty flavors from showing up on your taste buds. So, before I used it, I did 30 minutes of highest-setting on-time, with nothing in the chamber. That is almost certainly why I never tasted any strange plastic or industrial flavors.

Now, the cleaning thing, that's a different story, and I'll find out soon if that sucks or not. The only thing I can imagine about it causing problems is how it's a long slit instead of a circular hole. So that might make it difficult to clean. But I can't imagine it being any more complicated than cleaning my Saionara vaporizer, which is a piece of cake when I simply let the pieces soak in 91% iso for an hour or so.

:tiphat:

RB56

Veteran
Let us know how that goes. As I said, I really liked the device until it needed cleaning. Could have gotten past the plastic taste otherwise. My theory was that the isopropyl made the interior plastic surfaces rough or porous, making it prone to getting dirty again much more quickly than the first time. If they've improved this, I might order a new mouthpiece and see how it goes.

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
I have a Davinci. Works like a charm and it takes 18650s. If i drain one i just switch the battery and i'm good to go. I have like 8 of these in my kit and a nice charger that takes 4 at a time.