What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
This is my experience too—something about chewing cobs… 2.5g of chewed cob is subjectively as strong as smoking the equivalent amount of hash and it lasts all day instead of a couple hours 🤷🏻‍♀️
I know some of my cobs (Mulanje) I like the taste of the chew so much I want a big wad to chew.
But I know I only need a tiny piece to get very high all day.
Its the only thing that disappoints me ha ha.
I sniff the cob enjoying the fine aromas then can only slice off the smallest piece to chew or I'm not here ha ha.

Sweatloaf

I know some of my cobs (Mulanje) I like the taste of the chew so much I want a big wad to chew.
But I know I only need a tiny piece to get very high all day.
Its the only thing that disappoints me ha ha.
I sniff the cob enjoying the fine aromas then can only slice off the smallest piece to chew or I'm not here ha ha.

With the finished cob material able to be ingested and yield psychoactive effects, this has to mean that the cobbing process decarboxylates the THC unlike simply curing buds which doesn't. Eating cured buds in my experience (I tried it once) and to my knowledge won't yield psychoactivity since the cured buds are not decarbed.

Tangwena

Veteran
Well, the CobbOdyssey continues..... These guys have just been sweated at 40C for a bit over 24 hrs.
View attachment 18903103 The four in the molds were sweated that way, the three on top in vacpac.
Then I decided to try a couple in the traditional husks, three colas per cob, rolled in a silcone mat to compress then compressed in the husks.
View attachment 18903110
View attachment 18903117
View attachment 18903121

View attachment 18903125
Then I did a few in a pipe mold and vacpacked and a few more in the cherry wood molds. I will be anxiously waiting to see if there is any difference in the three methods. The cobs in the pipe were compressed by hand but the ones in the wood mold are compressed using my drill press as an arbour. They will spend the night ad tomorrow in the Sweat lodge.
Building a nice collection brother once they have aged your going to have a big stash.
Comparing the highs is going to take a lot of dedication ha ha.
Especially if your chewing them one cob lasts forever and testing multiple cobs takes even longer ha ha.
Remember the best effects kick in after 6 to 9 months although you can use them before that of course.
But the aging is when the real alchemy occurs ha ha.
I chewed some 2 year old Mulanje yesterday while installing some plumbing in my mother in laws garden.
It was the best day ever my mind was so happy, content it was like good ecstacy with a micro dose of acid just beautiful.

Tangwena

Veteran
With the finished cob material able to be ingested and yield psychoactive effects, this has to mean that the cobbing process decarboxylates the THC unlike simply curing buds which doesn't. Eating cured buds in my experience (I tried it once) and to my knowledge won't yield psychoactivity since the cured buds are not decarbed.
I dont care for scientific analysis because everyones wired differently.
Decarb in particular I find hard to understand all I know is this works always has and always will.

Its as old as time itself understanding how and why is not needed.
It can be made and can be made to suite your favorite high effects by manipulating your cure.
Decarb is a one trick pony this has many varied results from the same bud.

You can also smoke cob in fact thats the commonest use in Africa.

Taima-da

Could be other routes. Fermenting changes acid balance and produces new acids.
If the fement cycles the THCa into another acid form, say a phenolic, it may be orally active without decarb.
The are many other possibilities, just thinking out loud...

I have some thoughts as to what is actually happening in the process, and what sets it of, but until an inquiring mind looks at it scientifically it's all just conjecture...

All browning at room temperature is enzymatic. Occam's razor suggests that simple enzymatic action of the plant is enough, and we can discount the need for any other mysterious bacterial or fungal action (invisible -so not fungal, seems to work anywhere in the world and with a range of temps not usually associated with best microbial action, indicates the required mechanism is possibly built into the material).

Possible scenario, plant maintains some biological processes after harvest while there is enough moisture within to do so.
Plant registers "catastrophic event".
Inbuilt triggers that allow plant to survive start to unfold, assuming enough moisture and warmth. So unnecessary bio matter (carbs, chlorophyll etc) are redirected toward breakdown in the event that forming new roots/shoots or suchlike for survival, becomes possible. (Imagine a landslide or flooding event in which the plant is torn out of the ground or covered by a layer of debris and sets into motion a cascade of biological activity that may allow it to survive, should conditions allow )

Not saying this is what happens, just a brain fart.

If you love the product, all the rest is fairly unnecessary.

jroadytoady

Just joined the forum and want to give a big thanks to @Tangwena and everybody in this thread. I'm happy to say I am now addicted to cobbing :)

Here are 5 of my cobs that are now air drying for 3 - 5 days before they join a few more I already have long term aging.

The short one on the left is Blue Dream that amazingly turned into a deep pineapple fragrance following 2 weeks at 86F and the other 4 are Durban Poison.

I played around with different dryness levels, sweats temps/times, ferment times, and kept detailed notes. Interestingly, all 3 of my Blue Dreams turned pineapple (at different intensities since they had different variables) even though the jar cured buds haven't.

The single shot is of one of the Durban Poison's which shows an accurate representation of the color, struggled like hell getting the correct color with the group shot.

I also added a few resin shots of the same Durban Poison cob if anyone is interested.

Enjoy and thanks again for this awesome technique!

P.S. Thanks to cobbing I'm now investigating fermenting food and one thing I'll point out that several people have asked about in the thread re: Lacto bacteria. Turns out they already exist on the plant material and your hands so the conditions in the vacuum sealer should be the perfect environment for them IF they are indeed an integral part of the process.

Attachments

• cob5.jpg
    cob5.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 20231012_184107.jpg
    20231012_184107.jpg
    536.2 KB · Views: 46
  • WIN_20231012_18_32_01_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20231012_18_32_01_Pro.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 41
  • WIN_20231012_18_32_13_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20231012_18_32_13_Pro.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 39
  • WIN_20231012_18_32_42_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20231012_18_32_42_Pro.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 41
  • WIN_20231012_18_34_24_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20231012_18_34_24_Pro.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 40
  • WIN_20231012_18_37_39_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20231012_18_37_39_Pro.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 42
  • WIN_20231012_18_37_03_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20231012_18_37_03_Pro.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

CDNINCA

Just joined the forum and want to give a big thanks to @Tangwena and everybody in this thread. I'm happy to say I am now addicted to cobbing :)

Here are 5 of my cobs that are now air drying for 3 - 5 days before they join a few more I already have long term aging.

The short one on the left is Blue Dream that amazingly turned into a deep pineapple fragrance following 2 weeks at 86F and the other 4 are Durban Poison.

I played around with different dryness levels, sweats temps/times, ferment times, and kept detailed notes. Interestingly, all 3 of my Blue Dreams turned pineapple (at different intensities since they had different variables) even though the jar cured buds haven't.

The single shot is of one of the Durban Poison's which shows an accurate representation of the color, struggled like hell getting the correct color with the group shot.

I also added a few resin shots of the same Durban Poison cob if anyone is interested.

P.S. Thanks to cobbing I'm now investigating fermenting food and one thing I'll point out that several people have asked about in the thread re: Lacto bacteria. Turns out they already exist on the plant material and your hands so the conditions in the vacuum sealer should be the perfect environment for them IF they are indeed an integral part of the process.
Welcome aboard! It's great to have another "adventurer" join in on the fun that is cobbing! Crazy colors in that single image of the Durban Poison, nicely done! Cheers!

Tangwena

Veteran

Love the close ups man after aging they are going to be even more spectacular as the resin changes color.

Shua1991

On further research into cannabis fermentation, many of the precursors for flavonoids/thiols in wine are present in cannabis, you just need bacterial assistance for helping them become detectable through fermentation, just like with wine.

IMG_20231008_104426.jpg
IMG_20231008_104416.jpg

This plant reaks of piss and skunky wine/vinegar, the stem rub provides a more woody/wine unripe green grape funk thing that I am starting to believe it can be fermented into a "Sauvignon Blanc" type cob.

images_large_cr-2010-00205b_0006.jpeg

images_medium_cr-2010-00205b_0001.gif

If you see under "meaty", the golden tiger passes on these "meaty" thiols in spades, I have one plant that smells like a beef and red wine stew, like "boeuf bourguignon", a mix of wine thiols and meat/onion/pepper/brothy type of smell. I can't wait to see how they ferment.
2-Table1-1.png
the way these play into each other determines if the plant smells like black currant or urine, it's all about threshold levels of the thiols and esters being present.
Aroma-compounds-identified-in-Pinot-noir-wine-in-this-research-study-Compiled-using.png

Esters too, they add alot of the sweet/floral wine scents I'm picking up.

But if you ever find a plant that smells like cat piss you can likely find thiols being the culprit
The-Chemistry-of-Blackcurrants1.png

I have both phenotypes this run, I'll definitely report back with smoke impressions.

Last edited:

Shua1991

Did anybody else notice that the cob he opens around 3:30 is filled with mold? He doesn't even seem to notice or care, just closes it back up. Yuck!

I feel like mycelium isn't universally bad, black mold yes, but hypothetically there has to be a yeast or mycelium that eats cannabis the way bacterium can, maybe even in tandem. I mistakenly fermented my first afghan kush from World of seeds, it was very susceptible to a white mold that almost immediately overtook the flowers, after a week of picking at a dense central cola I noticed the inside was gooey and smelled like grapefruit instead of the earthy coffee, and the white fluff outside stopped growing and it just became like taffy, the stuff was cartoon level bordering on psychedelics. Still top 5 smokes and that was definitely yeast or spore based fermentation.

Last edited:

Buzzzzd

Further into my Cobbodyssey......everyone is out of the sweat lodge and will dry over night before starting the cure....
DSC05911.JPG

DSC05912.JPG

I will be checking weight as an indicator of moisture content...
DSC05916.JPG

The two "husked" cobs did not feel wet but I'd rather err on dry....
DSC05917.JPG

These three were formed in a pipe and squeezed pretty hard and sweated in vacpak......
And here is the bunch... top left three sweated in cherry wood mold, and top right in Corn husks and bottom three formed in a 3/4" pipe and sweated in vacpak.....
DSC05918.JPG

Two of the cobs that had just finished curing got an 1/8" slice of each end and so I thought I should chew one.....why not???? :dunno: I still can't say I enjoy the flavour but it wasn't much and It seemed to disappear pretty quick but Oh My!!! I started the chew about 10ish this morning...what a pleasant afternoon... it is now a little after 5 and it has just started to dwindled away.....
I am loving Cob!!!!!!! :whee: :jump::dance013:

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Further into my Cobbodyssey......everyone is out of the sweat lodge and will dry over night before starting the cure....
View attachment 18903755
View attachment 18903756
I will be checking weight as an indicator of moisture content...
View attachment 18903757
The two "husked" cobs did not feel wet but I'd rather err on dry....
View attachment 18903758
These three were formed in a pipe and squeezed pretty hard and sweated in vacpak......
And here is the bunch... top left three sweated in cherry wood mold, and top right in Corn husks and bottom three formed in a 3/4" pipe and sweated in vacpak..... View attachment 18903759
Two of the cobs that had just finished curing got an 1/8" slice of each end and so I thought I should chew one.....why not???? :dunno: I still can't say I enjoy the flavour but it wasn't much and It seemed to disappear pretty quick but Oh My!!! I started the chew about 10ish this morning...what a pleasant afternoon... it is now a little after 5 and it has just started to dwindled away.....
I am loving Cob!!!!!!! :whee: :jump::dance013:
Spectacular collection brother those super compacted cobs from the cherry wood have my attention.
I have never seen any so tightly packed so it will be interesting to see how they age.
The others all look on point so your going to get a nice collection of well cured cobs in the future.

Buzzzzd

I have been trying to figure out "dryness" by putting them in a jar with a hydometer but that is time consuming....what about weight??....if a cob is 10g after sweating what would be considered a good weight after cure?? I know it will supposedly all make sense once I've done it a few times but I have too darn many of these things to screw this up!! I had a couple of issues with mould before and sure would like to avoid that...it makes ya gun shy!!! :unsure:

Last edited:

Buzzzzd

I have never seen any so tightly packed so it will be interesting to see how they age.
Yeah, I wasn't to sure if it was a good idea or not. So far so good!!! I think....:dunno:
When they are being formed in a cylinder the way they are they seem to need the pressure to stick together.
How do you think it would affect the aging process??
I'm not very well packed and I'm not aging so good!!!!:unsure: