What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

We grow vegetable gardens too! Post your Garden pics here

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Hello fellow IC magers!

Besides growing Ganja for the winter months a lot of us put our gardening skills to use growing food for the table as well. Every year I look forward to putting in a garden. Last year was a great grow season with bumper harvests. Weather carrots, corn or ganga, horticulture is in my blood. To preserve put away and grow your own food is very rewarding and healthy. The vegetable garden always gets just as much attention if not more than the ganga and just as rewarding. Feel free to show off your edibles here.

EDIT: Thanks for all the positive vibes from everyone who has visited and contributed to this thread! Starting this thread I was going to keep it to just the vegetable gardening, but ended up including fruits, animals & even the bounty from a fishing trip! So I encourage people to share their ideas and experiences. As long as it is earthy and fun, please share it! Here are pictures of 2012 gardens. 2013 gardens start kicking off good on page 13. Thanks for joining in, and have fun!!!

picture.php
picture.php
:peacock:

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Thank you Organic Buds! Nice selection of veggies. Raised beds do great and you set them up high enough so your back doesnt work as hard. Nice!

My chicken house with 50 chickens Is right beside the garden. This is a good way to go to keep down on bugs. I have it setup where they can do there thing Around the garden. Of course another reason is the manure is right on hand to add to the garden. Always grow my animals next to the garden. One year I raised pigs IN the garden and planted veggies the next year and BAM, show was on! These are all pictures of last years garden. This years garden is bigger and still in the process of being planted. I added more fruit trees as well. Apricots, Peaches, Nectarines.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
I forgot to mention my trees. I have a Myers Lemon, Lime, Orange, Plum and grafted and spliced avocado tree. Avocado trees needs to be pollinated by another avocado tree, so I have an avocado tree that has both varieties so it can pollinate itself. Kind of like cannabis with male and female plants. I just planted them last year, and I am just starting to get limes and lemons.

Edit: I have also wanted to build a chicken coop that I can put off to the side during the growing season. Then during the winter I would like to take the same coop and build it so it can attach to my raised beds. That way the chickens can poop and feed my plants for the next season. Then place the coop back off to the side.

Biosynthesis

Veteran
I forgot to mention my trees. I have a Myers Lemon, Lime, Orange, Plum and grafted and spliced avocado tree. Avocado trees needs to be pollinated by another avocado tree, so I have an avocado tree that has both varieties so it can pollinate itself. Kind of like cannabis with male and female plants. I just planted them last year, and I am just starting to get limes and lemons.

Edit: I have also wanted to build a chicken coop that I can put off to the side during the growing season. Then during the winter I would like to take the same coop and build it so it can attach to my raised beds. That way the chickens can poop and feed my plants for the next season. Then place the coop back off to the side.

Ah I can only dream of Avocadoes and citrus trees. I lived in southern california for 12 years and the size of the citrus fruits are amazing!

Biosynthesis

Veteran
CORN

CORN

Growing alot more corn this year. I canned 3 cases last summer and its almost gone. The Row on the Right is Peruvian Giant corn and it gets up to 18 feet. I grew it last year and kept seeds and they are doing fine acclimating. Its maize and you use it for grounding into meal. I give it to chickens and pigs. Next to it Ive got Kandy corn, Sugar Pearl and golden jubilee. Sugar pearl was best last year.
picture.php

Biosynthesis

Veteran
planting a few rows of corn every few weeks keeps you in corn throughout summer. Corn is a heavy nitrogen feeder and likes frequent watering to produce nicely. Also it doesnt compete well with others so periodic weeding is necessary. Lots of chicken manure and feather goes at this end. The county came through and cut trees down in my area and chipped them and gave me a dump truck of chips for the garden. Wheelbarrow loads will be coming in periodically through summer. The pile of chips sat for 3 months and it heated up pretty good for a while and has white mold and other goodies in it. A white strand like mold I suspect is some type of mushroom mycelium. This is all good stuff that goes in the garden to break down over time while adding life to the soil.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Must be organic then? Everything I grow is organic, even my lawn.

Edit: is your pig eating tomatoes? lol, I love animals. They always put a smile on my face

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Bio

That's some of the finest pictures of a food garden ever posted on this and most other boards.

Pretty amazing on every level - I'm really, really impressed with your gardening skills!

CC

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Must be organic then? Everything I grow is organic, even my lawn.

Edit: is your pig eating tomatoes? lol, I love animals. They always put a smile on my face

Yes all organic. Lots of, well.......shit. How manure puts out the best flavors in ganga, fruits and vegetables I'll never know. I see tests online for flavors resulting from different fertilizers and manure always wins out. Particularly steer manure. Firm believer here. Last year horse manure got added as well as the chicken. I also set up a tub with a siphon-ex sucking a tea mix out of it and mixing it into. I will show you folks how I set that up later on in the season.

Thank you everyone for stopping in and posting:tiphat:

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Bio

That's some of the finest pictures of a food garden ever posted on this and most other boards.

Pretty amazing on every level - I'm really, really impressed with your gardening skills!

CC

Considering the source, I would take this as a very high complement. Biosynthesis is killing it.

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Yes, with your great positive attitudes it sure gears me up for a great grow season. Thanks for the positive reinforcement Clackamas and OrganicBuds!

Biosynthesis

Veteran
BROCCOLI

BROCCOLI

Heres the broccoli (colobrese). Started it in the green house and transplanted last week. Lots of broccoli gets consumed here. The stuff in the supermarket isnt on the same level as the stuff you grow in your back yard and eat the same day. My cabbage didnt go from seed this year so I will have to cheat and pick up a six pack. Plan on making kraut (in a trashcan).

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Bio

The Italian broccoli Rabe (aka Rapini) is very sweet and easy to grow though that's probably not an issue for you! LOL

Pretty classic item in Italian cuisine. It's one of our favorites in the garden. Tuscan Kale is another, aka Lacinato or Black Kale.

Good stuff and it's loaded with all kinds of healthy things...

CC

Last edited:
I'm curious what kind of water you guys are using for the veggie gardens. I'm trying to get a veggie patch going but the water I have access to out the hose has chlorine and chloramines but I'm not really trying to go the RO route cause that would be a real hassle and take way to long to be able to water the whole yard. Is there any type of way to filter it in real time to be able to water whenever needed?

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
OrganicLearner

I use water straight from the hose like every other gardener and farmer in the valley here. The Chlorine & even Chloramine issue is really over-stated.

The perfect storm for followers of stoner science.

CC

Latest posts

Latest posts