What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best expatriate countries for smokers?

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Phuket is quite a nice place, well it was back in the 1980's when I was first out there staying in a tree-house on Kata-Noi beach for 50 Baht per night. Next to Kata-Noi beach is Karon Beach and when I was there it had a Club-Med on it, so lots of tourists, and today Phuket still has many tourists since it is such a beautiful place with all the amenities available of a modern western existence, but I think the prices have gone up considerably...

Back in the 80's I could buy big-fat 'Buddha Sticks' for 20 baht each on the beach, but I'm not sure if you can today, since its been a while.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Thai government is worse than Cambodia for cannabis. Have to watch out for setup scams where you buy, they arrest you and give back to seller. Need to offer $1000 bribe right away. Have heard if more cops are called in, more to bribe. Phuket is supposed to be party town. Kampot much quieter, and bud more tolerated. Another Phuket story is bars that are tolerant to it, and undercover solicit people trying to sell and bust. Laos is supposed to be very tolerant also, but land locked so no beaches.

DenverJim

I have no idea where you got the idea about the price of bud in CO. The taxed stuff is for out of state tourists. I bet you could get an oz for under $50. The problem is affording to live here. I have been here along time and my house is paid for but the mellowness and live and let live attitude has fucked up the city. Now they are cramming apts and condos in every nook and cranny. In the late 70's bumper stickers said "don't Californicate Colorado". Well they did. I would move but I couldn't exist in a non legal state since I have no fear of the law. 75% voted for legalization. The politicians aren't that popular so they leave most alone...

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Thai government is worse than Cambodia for cannabis. Have to watch out for setup scams where you buy, they arrest you and give back to seller. Need to offer $1000 bribe right away. Have heard if more cops are called in, more to bribe. Phuket is supposed to be party town. Kampot much quieter, and bud more tolerated. Another Phuket story is bars that are tolerant to it, and undercover solicit people trying to sell and bust. Laos is supposed to be very tolerant also, but land locked so no beaches.

G `day LD

A friend of mine got busted by police in a sting . Piss test on the road side . Once it turns purple . Your gonna pay one way or another .

This is a source of income for low paid police ...

And if you think that you will be able to live in peace after , think again . Now you are the cop`s bitch . They can / will be back to exhort you whenever they need a cash injection .

Thailand the ganja is all pretty much the same . Brick weed from Laos . Cheap but nasty . Moldy with seeds and stalks .

ATM Thailand has a military regime . The army have the same powers as police .

One of the most dangerous countries in the world to travel the roads in . Road deaths extremely high .

Alcohol is cheap and the locals love it . Never seen so many people getting blind drunk 1st thing in the morning .

Being pulled over by police is interesting ; they wear surgical masks and dark sunglasses with a cap .So you can`t see their faces as they extort you .

Thailand hard to score , lots of under cover cops and informants . Cambodia 24 hr home delivery .

I said earlier I recommend Cambodia for weed smokers .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

G `day LD

A friend of mine got busted by police in a sting . Piss test on the road side . Once it turns purple . Your gonna pay one way or another .

And if you think that you will be able to live in peace after , think again . Now you are the cop`s bitch . They can / will be back to exhort you whenever they need a cash injection .

Thailand the ganja is all pretty much the same . Brick weed from Laos . Cheap but nasty . Moldy with seeds and stalks .

One of the most dangerous countries in the world to travel the roads in . Road deaths extremely high .

Alcohol is cheap and the locals love it . Never seen so many people getting blind drunk 1st thing in the morning .

Being pulled over by police is interesting ; they wear surgical masks and dark sunglasses with a cap .So you can`t see their faces as they extort you .

Thailand hard to score , lots of under cover cops and informants . Cambodia 24 hr home delivery .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

And every day i wonder why people who live in USA hate their circumstances when many would risk everything to come here. Most have never experienced the beauty and diversity that this great land has to offer. The fact that we are slowly starting to end prohibition makes me even happier to live here. Move if you must, but dont take the freedom and opportunity that this country offers for granted. Much blood was shed to provide that opportunity.

Elmer Bud

Veteran
G `day OS

Prolly more snitches and informants in Merica .
More informants than there are police in the USA .
US justice system is built on getting people to snitch as a bargain against prison time .

Thailand they like to catch folks then set up a buy . Swoop with under cover cops and marked bills once the merchandise is exchanged .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

America was built by rebels who utilized genocide & slavery to excel. UK shipped prisoners here for a time as well (sorta like they did with Australia).

I have been outside of USA so I understand many people have it worse.

But with this freedom comes great responsibility. I am all about people having freedom. But I don't like where freedom is taking us.

If America wants to continue this way, fine. I get it. But I haven't identified with mainstream American culture yet...so it's tough for me to be happy when I feel out of place.

Loc Dog

Veteran
G `day LD

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Was the piss test Cambodia or Thailand?

Elmer Bud

Veteran
G `day LD

Thailand have piss tests .
Not heard of them in Cambodia . Less U.S / UN influence in Cambodia .

Its not uncommon in the last cpl of years for LEO to raid night spots and make every one take the piss test .

google the term Pattaya Flying Club . That`s a whole other aspect of Thailand .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Loc Dog

Veteran
I have no idea where you got the idea about the price of bud in CO. The taxed stuff is for out of state tourists. I bet you could get an oz for under $50. The problem is affording to live here. I have been here along time and my house is paid for but the mellowness and live and let live attitude has fucked up the city. Now they are cramming apts and condos in every nook and cranny. In the late 70's bumper stickers said "don't Californicate Colorado". Well they did. I would move but I couldn't exist in a non legal state since I have no fear of the law. 75% voted for legalization. The politicians aren't that popular so they leave most alone...

Money is my number one problem long time un-employed from network security profession, so skills outdated, and do not have money to spend to get up to speed. Also market now sucks and corps hire foreigners that want H1B visa, and pay them 1/3rd as much.

Was CNN or Discovery channel special about bud business in Colorado. Showed $22 a gram for top shelf plus $7 sin tax. Heard of people last year not being able to get $100 a pound in California due to glut.

In a really shitty part of country now with insane property tax. Could get a bare minimum room in Cambodia for 12 years for property tax here in 1 year.

Elmer Bud

Veteran
G `day LD

Down sides of Cambodia .
Very hot and humid . Very dusty when its not raining . Lots of heroine and meth .
Hospitals not 1st world .Construction going on every where in the cities . More dust . Lots of noise .
Because of the availability of drugs a lot of undesirable folks end up there .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Yeah I'd suggest visiting before setting up camp. Make sure you like the food too.

For example: I'd love to go back to India & spend a year or so there, but idk if I'd retire there...well maybe near the mountains would be sweet :)

Aribe

Hi, I'm new in this forum, I haven't read all the post but I suggest you Thailand (quite cheap depending from the zone) whrer you can find some kind of stuff....again depending from the place.
The problem I think is principally habituate yourself to people ;) hope you find your way!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah I'd suggest visiting before setting up camp. Make sure you like the food too.

For example: I'd love to go back to India & spend a year or so there, but idk if I'd retire there...well maybe near the mountains would be sweet :)

Culture, local customs and key phrases are paramount. Just because it is cheap, doesn't mean it's inhabitable.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have been looking for some place cheap to move to and semi retire from USA. Have friend pushing expatriate areas (concentration of English speaking people) in Cambodia, and says cannabis is not enforced. Also seeing a lot of cheap property throughout Central America. Currently looking at Costa Rica, but also thinking Bolivia or Peru.

I know visas and lengths of stay are big issues.

Anyone have suggestions or warnings?

You really need to look into to Colombia man. It has changed immensely. I have been watching it for the last 5 years. This is definitely where I will be going, but I am a long way from any retirement. If I were to now I would do it not only for the awesome stuff going on with MJ but also for great health care, cost of living, goods, absolutely gorgeous women who appreciate men and like being feminine, services, safety, and large ex pat community.

Loc Dog

Veteran
You really need to look into to Colombia man. It has changed immensely. I have been watching it for the last 5 years. This is definitely where I will be going, but I am a long way from any retirement. If I were to now I would do it not only for the awesome stuff going on with MJ but also for great health care, cost of living, goods, absolutely gorgeous women who appreciate men and like being feminine, services, safety, and large ex pat community.

I have considered much of central and south America. Most of the info have have got is from places wanting to sell guides and seminars. Need to find some local expatriate area bulletin boards that post rentals. I have found those for Kampot Cambodia, which is major Australia and Europe expatriate community, and Phuket which is considered party area in Phuket Thailand with absolutely beautiful water. The rentals are either very reasonably priced or insanely expensive in Phuket. Kampot is all reasonably priced, with small cafe's owned by english speaking people. A Gourmet meal is about $5 or street vendor food about 1/4th that much. The water in Kampot is not beautiful, and during the summer it rains like hell and many areas flood.

Would like to find a town 15 or 20 minutes from shore in Central or South America. It may have been Columbia that someone said you can grow 20 plants.

Someone mentioned Cambodia and Thai girls being very strong and tend to run family.

Loc Dog

Veteran

Do you know of websites or facebook groups that advertise cheap apartment rentals? I have found those for Kampot and Phuket. Looking for them for Columbia and Costa Rica.

I need cheap, weed, and expatriate area so they speak English.

Well i was thinking spain/portugal, as its already a popular place to end up for europeans (brits) is canna friendly, still has room and is its cheap (compared to rest of eu) and nobody is gonna cut your head off or send you to prison for 25 years
been to some places in SEA since i have friends there, but its the small things that make me NEVER wanna live there, but to each its own

Loc Dog

Veteran
Well i was thinking spain/portugal, as its already a popular place to end up for europeans (brits) is canna friendly, still has room and is its cheap (compared to rest of eu) and nobody is gonna cut your head off or send you to prison for 25 years
been to some places in SEA since i have friends there, but its the small things that make me NEVER wanna live there, but to each its own

Never really considered EU. I am researching and being careful with spots in SEA. I know Indonesia and a few others have death penalty for drugs. Cambodia seems to be most tolerant. Water in Thailand is gorgeous, but police a little more corrupt. Either of them might have to pay off crooked cops if busted. Laos is supposed to be good for bud, but land locked so no beaches. Thailand is more modern, and almost as cheap as Cambodia, but also some extremely expensive complexes.

Thinking of bouncing between Cambodia, Thailand, Costa Rica, and Columbia.