What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

All About THCV! Where To Find It? What does It Do? Research From Israel 4/22/2017

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Source: Steep Hill Labs
"Steep Hill is an independently owned and operated analysis, biotechnology, and research and development facility. We seek to empower cultivators, dispensaries, manufacturers, and consumers with a transparent understanding of science."

Link To Article:
https://www.steephill.com/blogs/38

The cannabis plant makes most cannabinoids, like THC, CBD, and CBC, out of CBG-A. CBGV-A appears in the plant much more rarely, and forms similar cannabinoids, except they only have 3 carbon tails (c3), instead of the more common 5 carbon tail (c5). These 3 carbon tailed cannabinoids are referred to as ‘varins’, such that the c3 version of THC (THC-c5) is named Tetrahydrocannabivarin (THC-c3).

Being closely related to the c5 version, the c3 versions have very similar properties along with other unique qualities. For instance, THCV is more strongly psychoactive than THC, but only has about half the duration of THC. THCV is also a protagonist of THC, modifying the effects of THC. The energetic effect of THCV is more pronounced and stronger.

THCV has been found to reduce or even block panic attacks and, as a result, can be highly effective in the management of PTSD and other mental disorders involving anxiety or stress, as shown in research in places like Israel, where a great amount of cannabis research is done. THCV doesn’t appear to suppress emotions, only the ability to panic, associated with Fight or Flight response.

THCV has also been shown to reduce tremors associated with diseases such as Parkinson’s, along with ailments associated with motor control. There is also promising research demonstrating reduction of brain lesions associated with Parkinson’s.

THCV also stimulates bone cell growth, and has potential in the treatment of osteoporosis and similar ailments; possibly even in the micro gravity of space, to combat the loss of bone mass.

A side effect of THCV that requires attention is its strongly anorectic effect. If a patient is already having difficulty eating, THCVs appetite suppression can be a detriment.
Tetrahydrocannabivarinic Acid (THCV-A) is very similar to THC-A, and although it has yet to be properly studied, it is assumed to be anti-inflammatory.

Originally THCV was most commonly isolated in landrace sativas from the southern and central African continent. Until recently, THCV was only available in small concentrations in sativa strains like Durban Poison, which on average yield upwards of 0.5% THCV in a THC dominant plant. Such plants have a THC:THCV ratio of 20:1 or greater.

Several years ago, a strain named Pineapple Purps (archived test shown below) was created with a ratio of 3:1, and yielding 12% THC and 4% THCV. In the last year, a new strain, Doug’s Varin was created, with a ratio of 6:7 THC:THCV. This is the first strain we have evaluated that has more THCV than THC. All the high THCV plant strains we have observed are of the classic tall, lanky, narrow leaved sativa appearing variety.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Nonsense that THCV is
"THCV is more strongly psychoactive than THC, but only has about half the duration of THC. THCV is also a protagonist of THC, modifying the effects of THC. The energetic effect of THCV is more pronounced and stronger."

THCV does not get you high and is a THC CB1 antagonist.
It is obvious you have never tried pure THCV?
I did more then a decade ago when we developed THCV varieties that were only THCV over 10% by dry weight.
What I found is THCV may well have medical applications but not recreational.
This was backed up by research by Roger Pertwee and others:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2189766/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2219532/

-SamS

Source: Steep Hill Labs
"Steep Hill is an independently owned and operated analysis, biotechnology, and research and development facility. We seek to empower cultivators, dispensaries, manufacturers, and consumers with a transparent understanding of science."

Link To Article:
https://www.steephill.com/blogs/38

The cannabis plant makes most cannabinoids, like THC, CBD, and CBC, out of CBG-A. CBGV-A appears in the plant much more rarely, and forms similar cannabinoids, except they only have 3 carbon tails (c3), instead of the more common 5 carbon tail (c5). These 3 carbon tailed cannabinoids are referred to as ‘varins’, such that the c3 version of THC (THC-c5) is named Tetrahydrocannabivarin (THC-c3).

Being closely related to the c5 version, the c3 versions have very similar properties along with other unique qualities. For instance, THCV is more strongly psychoactive than THC, but only has about half the duration of THC. THCV is also a protagonist of THC, modifying the effects of THC. The energetic effect of THCV is more pronounced and stronger.

THCV has been found to reduce or even block panic attacks and, as a result, can be highly effective in the management of PTSD and other mental disorders involving anxiety or stress, as shown in research in places like Israel, where a great amount of cannabis research is done. THCV doesn’t appear to suppress emotions, only the ability to panic, associated with Fight or Flight response.

THCV has also been shown to reduce tremors associated with diseases such as Parkinson’s, along with ailments associated with motor control. There is also promising research demonstrating reduction of brain lesions associated with Parkinson’s.

THCV also stimulates bone cell growth, and has potential in the treatment of osteoporosis and similar ailments; possibly even in the micro gravity of space, to combat the loss of bone mass.

A side effect of THCV that requires attention is its strongly anorectic effect. If a patient is already having difficulty eating, THCVs appetite suppression can be a detriment.
Tetrahydrocannabivarinic Acid (THCV-A) is very similar to THC-A, and although it has yet to be properly studied, it is assumed to be anti-inflammatory.

Originally THCV was most commonly isolated in landrace sativas from the southern and central African continent. Until recently, THCV was only available in small concentrations in sativa strains like Durban Poison, which on average yield upwards of 0.5% THCV in a THC dominant plant. Such plants have a THC:THCV ratio of 20:1 or greater.

Several years ago, a strain named Pineapple Purps (archived test shown below) was created with a ratio of 3:1, and yielding 12% THC and 4% THCV. In the last year, a new strain, Doug’s Varin was created, with a ratio of 6:7 THC:THCV. This is the first strain we have evaluated that has more THCV than THC. All the high THCV plant strains we have observed are of the classic tall, lanky, narrow leaved sativa appearing variety.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Nonsense that THCV is
"THCV is more strongly psychoactive than THC, but only has about half the duration of THC. THCV is also a protagonist of THC, modifying the effects of THC. The energetic effect of THCV is more pronounced and stronger."

THCV does not get you high and is a THC CB1 antagonist.
It is obvious you have never tried pure THCV?
I did more then a decade ago when we developed THCV varieties that were only THCV over 10% by dry weight.
What I found is THCV may well have medical applications but not recreational.
This was backed up by research by Roger Pertwee and others:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2189766/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2219532/

-SamS

10%+ THCV by dry weight 10+ years ago even is quite an accomplishment, considering most of the recent articles ive come across reference high THCV at ~7%.

It was a direct copy from what I believed was the most credible and recent article Id found about THCV. Interestingly enough most other places ive seen also explain: "THCV At lower doses, may act as an antagonist of the cannabinoid receptor type 1 (CB1). At higher doses, however, it can switch, behaving as a CB1 agonist, much like THC." This seems to be a recurring misconception among many sources ive read. My area of focus is in the potential medical benefits, so the news that it is not psychoactive is actually welcomed news to me (and probably others), this is a start on the path to clearing up the misconception and one of the main reasons for this thread.

Im merely an enthusiast trying to share what ive learned in hopes of it benefiting someone else, (i have never had pure THCV before...lol). You by far are the most credible source, I appreciate your contributions and respect you highly.

Last edited:

therevverend

Veteran
I've heard it's a THC antagonist, which contradicts many of the older accounts pre 1990 that say it's THC on steroids. The older reports claimed it was responsible for the extremely clear headed, psychedelic, and no body high type effects of certain African varieties. Pretty sure newer research found this to be false. Much like CBD was misrepresented.
Instead of getting the munchies, it suppresses your appetite. The Steep Hill Labs article says on the one hand it blocks panic attacks, fight or flight responses. On the other hand it's extremely psychedelic, more so then THC. I find this contradictory, when I'm exposed to high levels of THC when I have a low tolerance I've felt the flight or fight, panic response. I see it as more proof it's an antagonist.
This is not science, it's my own biased opinion but I've used cannabis to fast. It can stimulate and repress hunger. It can also stimulate panic or repress panic. At least for me. Interesting how subjectively it can draw out conflicting responses. Doesn't surprise me it can contain compounds that are agonists and antagonists.

Gry

Neat thread, we are surely fortunate to have Sam here.
Steeple Hill would appear to be a 'Sports Car' of cannabis info.
Thank you Sam. One of those things I should have said that many times before.

Maple_Flail

Now this is interesting.

This begs the question.. How linear are our Cannabinoid receptors? It is hard to imagine with the range of properties and effects that there is a 'simple fill up' from an untouched receptor to a full bound receptor.

THCv helps parkinsons? hmmm Maybe in conjunction with CBD this in theory could help with things like ALS for things like comfort.

P

Pinnate

I've always hated CBD, as I believed it was what made indifferent smoke indifferent...

The dreaded 'plateau' compound, if you will...?

And back in the day (70s), Rosenthal described THCv as the compound in potent grass that gave the intense electric high we all seek!

Incidentally, I find THCv described here on the page as "tetrahydrocannabiverol" rather than "tetrahydrocannabivarin"?

Last edited:

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Incidentally, I find THCv described here on the page as "tetrahydrocannabiverol" rather than "tetrahydrocannabivarin"?

The article has it right with tetrahydrocannabivarin at the bottom of the first paragraph and in the reference to Tetrahydrocannabivarinic Acid from what I understand. I cant find anything about tetrahydrocannabiverol by searching google or for threads here on icmag, it might be an error in the tooltip from icmag for THCV. We will find out shortly either way, thanks for pointing that out!

Galaxy420

Now this is interesting.

This begs the question.. How linear are our Cannabinoid receptors? It is hard to imagine with the range of properties and effects that there is a 'simple fill up' from an untouched receptor to a full bound receptor.

THCv helps parkinsons? hmmm Maybe in conjunction with CBD this in theory could help with things like ALS for things like comfort.

the receptors are phospolipid enzymes that adapt to molecular toggles. cannabis cannabinoids have a low binding affinity @ the receptors but will effect a confirmation of change

brown_thumb

Now this is interesting.

If it helps with PD and ALS then maybe it can help with LBD.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Ibechillin, Thank you for posting up this information. You post up a lot of helpful articles. Thank you my friend. Peace

Maple_Flail

the receptors are phospolipid enzymes that adapt to molecular toggles. cannabis cannabinoids have a low binding affinity @ the receptors but will effect a confirmation of change

eh, you want to be more specific? different cannabinoids have different affinities to both CB1 and CB2, not to mention other substances in the plant that also effect receptor affinity. Caryophyllene for example..

regardless, CBD+friends only needs to bind enough to encourage repair to neural pathways. This is not a cure, but something to abate the effect of these degentrivie ailments

If it helps with PD and ALS then maybe it can help with LBD.

quite reasonable to this so im my opinion. I am not a medical expert, but logically it would seem to make sense.

My best friends father has been diagnosed with ALS for as long as i've known him (15+ years), So as long as he stays as mentally strong as he has in the last decade+ I may have a better idea of the possibility in a few years time (gatta find a reliable plant for thcV first.)

doams

maybe that thcv keeps the control of thc not becoming too strong too soon and thcv just prelongs the high? its like not letting thc going out all at once its gradually dosed maybe theres are some papers on this :D

Latest posts

Latest posts