What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHOgart Extractor Thread

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lol, can't we all just get along, Elmo?

Made my first run ever today with my BHOgart.
Forgot to weigh the trim going in. Duh. Let the 10x12 collection pot get way too cold.
I think Cloud Fuel is N-Butane. Did a cleaning run first. Got a few metal shavings
in the coffee filters, but no oil in the pot. Started with 3lbs of tane and ended 4oz less.
The 'pour' method didn't work cause we started using boiling water and took it down to -10hg. Had to scrape it out. It was a light golden blond at this point.
put on parchment in the vac chamber in a electric turkey broiler. 115F for 45 min.
Came out as 26g of the most beautiful and powerful clear blond 'taffey' if thats a term.
washed a few more g out of the pot with 99iso. saved that for later.

Thanks Tom! (And thanks for the video...)

Ps. The Appion is pretty loud. Any ideas? Also, are vacuum pumps suppose to smoke a little?

The Appions are loud because they have a geared fan that runs faster than the motor, for added cooling to the two internal heat exchangers.

A CPS TR-21 is quieter, but doesn't have internal heat exchangers or geared fan.

Rotary vane vacuum pumps put out oil vapor and make a general mess around the pump. You can remove the breather and install a hose adapter, to vent the smoke elsewhere if necessary.

Glad to see you getting good results, regardless of whose system you are using. Competition is always good to drive new technology. That is what the Daytona brickyard is about.

I obviously think the Terpenator is a better design, or I would have built the simpler flow through design, but that doesn't mean that I don't think the BHOgart is slick, or or doesn't accomplish the purpose.

It takes only a couple minutes to modify a Mk IIIA to flow through, by simply moving the injection tee to the top of the column, instead of the bottom. We've done so, and it works well enough that you have to do your math carefully to note the differences.

What we could do in this thread, is share the techniques that we develop using the different systems, as opposed to trying to decide whether the Chevy or the Ford is the better unit.

As far as leaky valves go, the ball valves are off the shelf items for both systems, but by their very nature and design eventually leak around the valve stems. That is why any recycling system has to be regularly leak checked.

I've found defective valves both on the initial leak check, as well as maintenance leak checks, so it is important to include regular inspection and maintenance in a recycling system.

Specialized Formulation sells only Mk IIIA kits, so does no leak checks, unless it was a custom assembly. So far no one has found any defective welds, but some have reported leaks around valve stems.

You can replace those valves with Carten encapsulated stem type valves, but will pay 10X or so for the five valves on a system.

Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
go check out primo extracts they are right in your hood . they said they met carla

Rather than chase down a shoot out, I was hoping that as the distributor, you could help set one up, given you know where they all are and what the folk's contact information is.

Would that be possible?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Warning!

this thread seems to be skirting the tou, we do not allow sellers of stuff to come on here to promote stuff unless they advertize. so go do that shit on face book or where ever, the only reviews we allow is from members in good standing with no financial gain to be made. telling everyone how it should be done and supplying identifying information is just the same as advertizing.

triple3

shootout

shootout

Thanks GW for pursuing this matter of testing the two closed loop designs being discussed here...
The question of column diameter size large vs small, as well as flow thru vs bottom fill are of great interest to me.
Although your comment:
"It takes only a couple minutes to modify a Mk IIIA to flow through, by simply moving the injection tee to the top of the column, instead of the bottom. We've done so, and it works well enough that you have to do your math carefully to note the differences."-GW
may have already answered one of my questions.
If the extraction % falls considerably due to a design difference, it would be good to know for ROI and time spent. I applaud your efforts.
Design competition makes for innovation,yet, this if there are yield % differences in a controlled test,it would have to be weighed out against amount processed and the cost/availability of the machine.
I don't think there are necessarily going to be winners and losers in this test, as each customer will have a different set of needs.

As far as leaky valves go, the ball valves are off the shelf items for both systems, but by their very nature and design eventually leak around the valve stems. That is why any recycling system has to be regularly leak checked.

I've found defective valves both on the initial leak check, as well as maintenance leak checks, so it is important to include regular inspection and maintenance in a recycling system.

Specialized Formulation sells only Mk IIIA kits, so does no leak checks, unless it was a custom assembly. So far no one has found any defective welds, but some have reported leaks around valve stems.

You can replace those valves with Carten encapsulated stem type valves, but will pay 10X or so for the five valves on a system.

Ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Ya i have had to replace #2 and #4 twice now, i pressure test now about once a week. Welds are solid, not problems there. I think i found the Distributer for those high quality Carten valves, but im not sure what kind of valve to ask for, Could you specify?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lol, can't we all just get along, Elmo?

Made my first run ever today with my BHOgart.
Forgot to weigh the trim going in. Duh. Let the 10x12 collection pot get way too cold.
I think Cloud Fuel is N-Butane. Did a cleaning run first. Got a few metal shavings
in the coffee filters, but no oil in the pot. Started with 3lbs of tane and ended 4oz less.
The 'pour' method didn't work cause we started using boiling water and took it down to -10hg. Had to scrape it out. It was a light golden blond at this point.
put on parchment in the vac chamber in a electric turkey broiler. 115F for 45 min.
Came out as 26g of the most beautiful and powerful clear blond 'taffey' if thats a term.
washed a few more g out of the pot with 99iso. saved that for later.

Thanks Tom! (And thanks for the video...)

Ps. The Appion is pretty loud. Any ideas? Also, are vacuum pumps suppose to smoke a little?

The 'Taffy' turned to shatter over night!

You seem to have had a blessed first experience, about time, this is only rocket science... how about pic of the clear blond 'taffey' that turned to shatter? Sounds delicious!

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
So, I gave most of it to my two buddies that I'm working with,
but kept a couple grams myself. I can't smoke this stuff, anyway.
It's way too strong for me.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It was made with even amounts of C+ and Purple Bubba indoor trim.
I followed GW's instructions and purged for 45min at -29.5hg and 115F.
The only thing we did different was that we deflated and inflated
the muffin about 3 times. Not sure if this was the right thing to do.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow!!!

I practice the 115F @ -29.5" Hg for about 45 minutes regime, and have been inflating/deflating about three to six times over the course. This last run I held the vacuum steady, and noticed GW seems to be correct that with a thin film it's basically all over at 20 minutes, though I continued on and verified that at about 45 minutes it really is all over, as the few bubbles left just sit there.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
What are people using to heat their recovery pots?
I see in pics what look like giant rice cookers...

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What are people using to heat their recovery pots?
I see in pics what look like giant rice cookers...

It's a Wyott soup pot, Father Earth's got a RCW-11,

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=5989376&postcount=396

They aren't cheap,

http://apwwyott.com/extensions/warmers/141-classic-countertop-round-cookersservers.html

Imo, they aren't safe around exposed butane, look at the contacts just inside the can of FE's again,

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=5989376&postcount=396

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Last edited:
I wouldn't even bother running with bottom heat... More trouble than it is worth and the wyott can't hold a consistent temp. Although spendy, a heating mantle like what the Tami uses would be a better route

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wouldn't even bother running with bottom heat... More trouble than it is worth and the wyott can't hold a consistent temp. Although spendy, a heating mantle like what the Tami uses would be a better route

For what we use the Wyott for, it's controls are more than adequate, because unlike the Tamisium, we don't use the heat for recovery, just to cancel out some of the refrigeration from cold boiling the butane.

For instance, we don't usually put the Terpenator in a hot pot, during most of the extraction process, unless we are making a decarboxylated oil.

We run the storage tank in an alcohol dry ice bath, if we are seeking bragging rights carboxylic acid vaporizing oil, and only occasionally "dip" the Terpenator lower pot in warm water to get rid of the ice during final recovery, so as to keep track of the liquid line by watching where the ice reforms.

A heat mantle and water jacketed recovery pots are options on the Mk V, because it is too damn big to pick up and dunk occasionally.

Here is picture of the manual Mk V prototype test sled, with a third option, and that is simply to set it in cold water.

The automated Mk V prototype test sled is in the background of one of the shots, and is in final wiring and plumbing.

Attachments

• Manual Mk V prototype-1-1.jpg
    Manual Mk V prototype-1-1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Manual Mk V prototype-1-2.JPG
    Manual Mk V prototype-1-2.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Manual Mk V prototype-1-3.jpg
    Manual Mk V prototype-1-3.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Manual Mk V prototype-1-4.jpg
    Manual Mk V prototype-1-4.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 18
good point GW.

jesus, that thing is a beast and quite the work of are :) when you guys going to do a test run? do both tubes dump at the same time or do they alternate?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good point GW.

jesus, that thing is a beast and quite the work of are :) when you guys going to do a test run? do both tubes dump at the same time or do they alternate?

Testing starts today and shakedown runs start Monday. We would start this weekend, but it is already cram packed.

The automatic cycles the tubes one after the other, but you could flood and dump the manual both simultaneously. I also added three way switches to the automatic controls, so that you can run the automated Mk VA manually for the purpose of developing processes.

It will take up to a 36" column, if you like ladders, to add another 2.5 lbs per run.

Alas, the pumps were back ordered, so we will be testing it with our own pumps or the proud new owners existing pumps, that he runs his dual Mk IIIA's with. The Mk V uses dual recovery pumps for speed.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
What is the optimum amount of butane to run through a 3x36 tube into
a 10 x 12 recovery pot? We've been showering and recovering 3 times.
Also, does anyone know the volume of a lb of tane? Thanks!