What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

100% Sativas (Have you ever tried one?)

Terroir

i refuse to smoke anything else

Attachments

• mainarmmadness.jpg
    mainarmmadness.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 16

The Hatter

Veteran
I am growing some Bhutanese right now so can't comment on the high yet, but I can tell ya the buds come sllloooooowwwwwwwlllllyyy and so far they're so damn scrawny. I keep thinking I should cut my losses and just kill it to use the space for something more productive. I may try again at some point for some novelty smoke, but this experience really makes it clear why people are so big on crossing Sativa's with Indica for shorter flowering periods. I would say unless you have the space, a pure sativa is not the way to go and even then you need the patience of a saint.

I don't know how long Bhutanese takes to flower, but I do know that as agonizing as the wait may be, it's usually well worth it when it comes to Sativas. They tend to plump up at the very end and although slow to flower they often actually produce quite well because all the crazy branches that are going everywhere become tipped with colas.

I guess it really depends just how long its going to take. It's not one of those 20+ week strains is it?

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
Kali Mist(circa 1998) was the only time i have smoked a TRUE 100% Sativa strain, done properly and finished..LOL...

The Kali Mist(circa 1998) before they added indica to beef up the buds and lower flowering times,,,was the best weed I have ever smoked..the only weed to give me trails like i was on acid or shrooms...VERY VERY strong smoke....it took you too another dimension...nothing at all like these kushes that stick you to the couch

peace
Chefboy

Gerardbutler79

Veteran
Kali Mist(circa 1998) was the only time i have smoked a TRUE 100% Sativa strain, done properly and finished..LOL...

The Kali Mist(circa 1998) before they added indica to beef up the buds and lower flowering times,,,was the best weed I have ever smoked..the only weed to give me trails like i was on acid or shrooms...VERY VERY strong smoke....it took you too another dimension...nothing at all like these kushes that stick you to the couch

peace
Chefboy

Isn't sagarmathas western winds supposed to be the old Kali Mist?

jayjayfrank

Veteran
pretty much the only way to find a pure sativa is to grow it yourself, thats what i had to do.

super concerned my zamaldelica will autoflower.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran

peace
Chefboy

That strain was basically perfect. they should have never added indica.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G`day Folks

Down Under Indicas were like hens teeth till the early 90s . Nothin but Sats and imported Hash .
Once Skunk and Northern Lights hit it has been a trend toward less Satties and more Indica or hybrids .
Also HID lights and carbon filters meant year round growing and little threat of rip offs.
Still plenty of Sativas out there just gotta know the right people ...

EB .

BrownThumb

I don't know how long Bhutanese takes to flower, but I do know that as agonizing as the wait may be, it's usually well worth it when it comes to Sativas. They tend to plump up at the very end and although slow to flower they often actually produce quite well because all the crazy branches that are going everywhere become tipped with colas.

I guess it really depends just how long its going to take. It's not one of those 20+ week strains is it?

Probably more like 12-14 based on the source, but I did a few things wrong. I should never have run it with Indica's. I should not have run it in a pot with another plant with used soil. I should have topped it. I read this morning that really, no more than 11 hours is best for Sativa's (I was running 13, now 14 since I am running mostly Indica). I also read that hitting them with blue light at the end of each day for an hour or two helps them to remain compact. With today's LED's like the one I am running as my main light, that would be easy since there is a switch that shuts off a bunch of the red. I think it would still be best to do a run of only Sativa and preferably in Hydro to speed it up. That would make it way easier to maintain the proper environment for a Sativa which is not the way I have been rolling.

One thing that stands out about the Bhutanese is the incredibly sticky main stem. The stem itself was like a sticky bud. I was blown away since I have not ever run into that before. So the good news is that I have a monster clone of that same plant that I am stalling until a better time to grow it, as well as having created a cross with that and the Afghan I am running, of which I have two above ground as of a day or so ago.

Based on that stem alone, I am still interested to see what it can do if grown properly. As it was, I was smart to kill the original since it was never going to produce enough to warrant waiting.

Bud_Man10

Veteran
That strain was basically perfect. they should have never added indica.

Yup, as close to 'Nirvana' as I've come also. That being said, I still think there's some 'real good' sativa phenos to be found in the later versions. I smoked some (beans circa 2010) from a friend the other day, pretty darn nice...impressive in fact!

Peace
BM

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
I just harvested what I believe to be pure sativa that I grew from seeds that I have saved from all the mex-brick I used to get in the 90's and in the early 2000's.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This is the kind of mexi brick buds I get in my hood. so i still get free dank sativa seeds.
picture.php

sunset limited

Veteran
I just harvested what I believe to be pure sativa that I grew from seeds that I have saved from all the mex-brick I used to get in the 90's and in the early 2000's.
View Image
View Image
View Image
View Image

This is the kind of mexi brick buds I get in my hood. so i still get free dank sativa seeds.
View Image

may i ask where that is?

haven't seen brick pack in 10+ years.
anywhere except in the county lockup.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Swazi Red and Malawi Gold by Afropips, amazing plants and even better parents for hybrids.
Santa Marta Gold, Corinto, Punto Rojo and all kinds of lowland Colombian Sativas.

crossed a beautiful swazi red female to a stinky male found in bagseed colombian, the result was herb a lot of people were afraid to smoke and that made quite a few quit smoking all together hehehe...

A

Alone

The best sativa I ever smoked was Jamaican LambsBread circa 1988.
3 hits and I lost most bodily functions. I threw up multiple times and just straight up couldnt function properly. Scary kinda high with 0 cieling. I thought I was gonna die. LOL.

Also scored some "red hair sinse" in 1991 that made a friend throw up and got way to high. I was trippin abit listening to Too Short's first album - "Life is too short" while watching a lava lamp. LOL

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
got confused... it was actually a bagseed colombian female x stinky male swazi red. sent a shit ton of these to the server fund, twice, never made it there, ran out of seeds... lost the last 50 seeds trying to inbreed them at a gorila spot that got eaten by cows, poor judgement on place :D

here's a pic from my old gallery:

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G`day #1 Cheese buds

Thats some purdy lookin bud there .
Looks like a hybrid to my eyes . Still very purdy none the less .

EB .

The Hatter

Veteran
Based on that stem alone, I am still interested to see what it can do if grown properly. As it was, I was smart to kill the original since it was never going to produce enough to warrant waiting.

It's cool you kept a cutting. I actually decided to research that strain a bit and it sounds like its neat stuff. Best of luck when you decide to run her.

One word of advice, definitely find somebody who has grown out an IBL race sativa in hydro before trying it, unless you have a pretty good idea about how to do it already. The IBL sativas really are very picky when it comes to hydro. I have never tried it myself but everyone I have seen attempt it has had disastrous results. (Usually they nute burn them horrifically since they require way less nutrients than usual, particularly nitrogen.

I managed to burned all of my pure sativas the first time by just using nothing but Fox Farm bag soil with a bunch of perlite in it. I didn't fertilize and they still burned wickedly. On the bright side they cost way less to feed.

yoss33

Veteran

peace
Chefboy

Hi man,
No offense, and no credibility as I've never personally grown or smoked Kali Mist/Western Winds, but I've seen so many photos of it (inc. the pre '98 version) online and it's a bit hard to believe that it's 100% sativa. The plant, leaf and bud structure all look like there's some indica genes in there. This doesn't mean that the high is not ALMOST like a pure asian sativa, but that's what a great hybrid is - keep the sativa high in an easier-to-grow plant.
I've had great sativa highs of mostly-sativa hybrids. 75% and above (sativa x sativa/indica) can bring phenos that have an almost pure sativa high.
I keep repeating "almost" because some pure sativas (like the Haze I'm smoking lately) have an effect which is so clear, yet trippy, that you don't feel like having smoked weed at all, but have taken some other drug like a true psychedelic. It's so easy on the body in low doses that you think you are not getting high, being used to and waiting to "feel" something. And while you don't feel it as weed, it is so moving, touching something deep inside of you. It's purely spiritual. And when you get used to this effect, all other weed feels like a dumb stony drug.

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
Hi man,
No offense, and no credibility as I've never personally grown or smoked Kali Mist/Western Winds, but I've seen so many photos of it (inc. the pre '98 version) online and it's a bit hard to believe that it's 100% sativa. The plant, leaf and bud structure all look like there's some indica genes in there. This doesn't mean that the high is not ALMOST like a pure asian sativa, but that's what a great hybrid is - keep the sativa high in an easier-to-grow plant.
I've had great sativa highs of mostly-sativa hybrids. 75% and above (sativa x sativa/indica) can bring phenos that have an almost pure sativa high.
I keep repeating "almost" because some pure sativas (like the Haze I'm smoking lately) have an effect which is so clear, yet trippy, that you don't feel like having smoked weed at all, but have taken some other drug like a true psychedelic. It's so easy on the body in low doses that you think you are not getting high, being used to and waiting to "feel" something. And while you don't feel it as weed, it is so moving, touching something deep inside of you. It's purely spiritual. And when you get used to this effect, all other weed feels like a dumb stony drug.

NO offense but you haven't seen pics or photo's of the pre-1998 version of Kali Mist....if you have...you wouldnt be questioning whether or not it is a 100% sativa....

When i was in amsterdam in the summer of 1998, i went to the greenhouse namaste, my fav coffee shop at the time and used to get the Kali, and it was i swear 100% sativa....

No actual buds, almost like spirals of dreadlocks, very airy, no density whatsoever, and smell like sandalwood or very haze like...

Whatever you may think,,,I believe that was 100% sativa....because 3 years later when i came back, buds looked way more indica and was not the same buzz...

peace
Chefboy

red rider

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Landrace Sativa

Landrace Sativa

Here's some old pics from one of my first grows in Colombia. The seed came from some very good pressed buds.

attachment.php

Pure Sativa Goodness...

attachment.php

Wispy....

attachment.php

Spicy & sweet high altitude Colombia Sinsemilla

Peace from Colombia!

Last edited: