What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Veg LED for 3x3 tent

G

I am looking to build a new veg and flower set-up for personal. I will be flowering with a 315CMH and I would like a modest but capable plug and play LED to veg with. Something that would cover my 3x3 veg tent but doesn't need to be top of the line or to produce rapid growth. What brands should I be looking at? I don't have a price point in mind, but do see a lot of relatively inexpensive options available on Amazon.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Yeah there are a lot of options.. I've checked most out..

I suggest the Horticulture lighting groups Quantum Boards, they are the best output for the money LED wise, imvho..

I would want the following possibly, it's a 260 that will nicely cover the area and is dimmable right down.. I just realised it isn't 100% plug and play, I think you have put a couple screws in to secure the boards to the sinks and wire a plug..

https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/collections/kits/products/260w-qb-v2-led-kit

or 1 or 2 x 100s maybe might actually be better, idk..

https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/collections/kits/products/hlg-100

Ah I missed the doesn't have to be top of the line part.. what's your budget and how long do you want the unit to live for and be "future proof" for so to speak?

:2cents:

Last edited:

SaToRi_GrOwS

Sounds like a cool little set up. I grew in a 3x3 for 2 years or so and I used a 600 watt HPS xxxl hood it buldged out the side a bit and made the zipper really tight but whatever. I had the 2 foot carbon filter mounted inside the tent on top and the fan was outside since it didn't fit and vented that into the wall of my apartment that was directly connected to the neighbors and no one ever smelled anything. Also Had a 4 inch intake fan and would make my own intake filters out of that plastic blue swamp cooler pad stuff. would just use 600watt MH for veg I would flower and veg in the tent and I had a little 100 watt t5 for cloning. I would fit 9 3 gallon smart pots in there 3 rows of 3 and at the 8th or 9th node I'd top, strip and flip. Averaged 18 ounces with just about any cultivar I fucked with but with fire OG and other OGs that have a nice stretch i was getting around 24 ounces every time of really good stuff. I never had problems with heat because the room the tent was in was always around 70 degrees, it was in the desert so we always blasted ac in the house 247.

G

Lost in a SOG:
I was thinking around $1-200. Like I said, there are some pretty modestly priced LED on Amazon but I don't know how to consider LED wattage and sq footage, nor do I know the reputation of ability of any brands. I'll take a look at your links, but I'm guessing they are $$$ which would be justified if I were using a LED for flower. Thanks for the good info!

Hey Satori:
Thanks for dropping in. Do you have any good suggestions about LED for veg in a 3x3?

SaToRi_GrOwS

Lost in a SOG:
I was thinking around $1-200. Like I said, there are some pretty modestly priced LED on Amazon but I don't know how to consider LED wattage and sq footage, nor do I know the reputation of ability of any brands. I'll take a look at your links, but I'm guessing they are $$$ which would be justified if I were using a LED for flower. Thanks for the good info!

Hey Satori:
Thanks for dropping in. Do you have any good suggestions about LED for veg in a 3x3?
No... unfortunately I stepped away from l.e.d. nothing seemed to satisfy me that wasn't goin to be 1500 bucks for a light so I went with veg. I would suggest vegging with the 315 also and not getting l.e.d.

G

Satori: I hear you. I was hoping to shave a few watts by using LED for veg. I don't need rapid growth, but I am familiar with CMH so the learning curve would be nil.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
They really aren't that expensive for something guaranteed to last and be worth the money in wattage.. These will probably still be almost as good in 10 years whereas most of that cheap shit you see on amazon will blow after a couple years.. And are rubbish in term of PAR light as well..

Buy right buy once..