What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PCK x Panama/Deep Chunk project

kamyo

Veteran
Hi friends. I recently did this cross with no selection - just a male PDC and an extra female PCK. I had a pack of PDC, but didn't store them well and didn't really pay as much attention as I should have during germination. End result was a single PDC male and PCK female that was grown pretty much 12/12 from seed (was flowering some other PCK at the time).

Once sex was determined, they spent the rest of their time outside until the deed was done. Male was killed and female came back in the cab to live with the other girls and finish up flowering.

Because the PCK was so young when she was pollinated, I still got a small amount of unseeded bud off of her and maybe 30-40 seeds (haven't counted).

I did a germination test on about 7 of them in a glass of pHed tap water just to see how they would do. This was immediately after drying the bud, and got 5 of 7 to show tails within 48-60 hours. They're in solo cups now and I'll transplant in a couple of weeks.

I believe Cannabiogen actually did this cross at some point, but they were only freebies. Not a lot of info on it.

Here's a little shot of the seeds and bud it came from.
picture.php

More to come once they start to grow.

icon

ICMag Donor
Veteran
SUBBED.... I literally am about to hit a male deepchunk to a pink pheno pck in a few weeks & in a few months ill hit malawi x panama & taskenti. I just harvested a pck x deepchunk & to my surprise the pck was more dominant since deepchunk usually is very dominant....anyways looking forward to how yours come out your pck looks like it had nice color to it. whats your setup soil,hydro? what lights are you using etc.

kamyo

Veteran
Setup is just small 2x2 veg/mom/clone tent with a cheap 50w led and peat/coco/ewc/perlite with some Fox Farm Jump Start thrown in at about 1 cup per 10 gallons. That may change, but more or less the same - organic "soil" mix.

Flowering is a slightly bigger tent (2.5x2.5) with same soil amended/fed as needed with top dressing or teas. Chinese QB288 LED.

Interested to see the expressions. There's a lot of indica in this cross, but would love to find a sativa dom in there.

Not much room for actual breeding, but the plan is to just see what I get, make an F2 at some point and look through those seeds for keepers. Don't know if I'll ever end up selecting parents from the F2 generation to go further than that.

kamyo

Veteran
Originally popped 5 seeds, but I ended up with some extra space in the veg cab and decided to pop some more. The PCK mom was having a hard time revegging and while I could have maybe saved her, I decided to cull her in favor of popping more of what I'm calling PDK (Panama Deep Kush). One seedling went straight into the flower tent in a ~1 gal pot. Just to see what happens.

Here's PDK #1-#11. In no particular order in the cab. They're labeled on each cup at the bottom.
picture.php

kamyo

Veteran
A week later. Still a little hard to tell, but overall looking fairly uniform. Looking typical of an indica dominant hybrid, but it will be interesting to see where they go from here. Will go as long as I can in solo cups, then take cuttings, repot, and flower them. The one in flower is actually growing a bit quicker thanks to a better light and probably better overall conditions. I'll get a picture of that one soon. It should give me an idea of what to expect from the others.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

kamyo

Veteran
Kind of hard to tell in the pictures, but at least 3 of them so far are showing at least 3 sets of leafs at each node, with two showing 4.

I remember one PCK I had (turned out to be male) that was all kinds of weird. Crinkly leaves and just put out new growth wherever it wanted to. Took forever to show sex.

Last edited:

kamyo

Veteran
Some examples of what I understand to be whorled phyllotaxy. If that's incorrect, please let me know.

So far, 3 of 11 are showing with 7 of the 11 not quite big enough to show but the tiny new growth at what will be the 3rd node also seem to indicate a possibility of the trait. This means close to half may show this trait. Both parents were normal.

Oh, and I topped a couple to see how it goes (the two pictured)
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

kamyo

Veteran
Couple days shy of 3 weeks veg (I think). Can tell that there are definitely a good amount of those with 3 & 4 fans. Appears that the subsequent nodes are also displaying this trait on the ones left untopped. Probably going to just top everything this weekend to keep it short. Let it go a week or two, take cuttings and flower.
picture.php

Happy Times

Couple days shy of 3 weeks veg (I think). Can tell that there are definitely a good amount of those with 3 & 4 fans. Appears that the subsequent nodes are also displaying this trait on the ones left untopped. Probably going to just top everything this weekend to keep it short. Let it go a week or two, take cuttings and flower.
View Image

Pretty uniform look there! I like how dense the foliage looks on the lowest middle one

#8, if we number:

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9
10 11

kamyo

Veteran
Pretty uniform look there! I like how dense the foliage looks on the lowest middle one

#8, if we number:

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9
10 11

Yeah, I like that one. Hard to see, but if you zoom in, you'll see that one has 4 fans. I think I counted 7 of 11 with 4 being normal. The one in flower is also normal.

Also, they're not always in the same place. I tend to move them around when watering, but they are labeled at the bottom so I don't lose track.

kamyo

Veteran
Nothing crazy. Had a soil mix of mostly FF Light Warrior, EWC, perlite, and FF Jump Start. Recently added some coco bricks I had laying around, more castings, and another cup of Jump Start. No extra perlite, which I was almost concerned about, but this coco is really fibrous and helps with drainage quite a bit. They're drinking like crazy right now and I'll need to transplant soon.

HitSquadBand

Nothing crazy. Had a soil mix of mostly FF Light Warrior, EWC, perlite, and FF Jump Start. Recently added some coco bricks I had laying around, more castings, and another cup of Jump Start. No extra perlite, which I was almost concerned about, but this coco is really fibrous and helps with drainage quite a bit. They're drinking like crazy right now and I'll need to transplant soon.

Cool. What kind of water? Tap? I suggest hose water municipal, worked for me in my home town..

kamyo

Veteran
Yep. Tap water pHed down a bit because we have a lot of calcium (limestone) out here. Usually around mid 7s out of the tap. I bring it down to about 6.5 and so far, so good.

kamyo

Veteran
Here's PDK #12. She's been in the flower tent from seed. Better light in there, so good growth at 3 weeks.
picture.php

Gave away #1, #2, and #4 to a friend to grow out. Took in some of his stuff that he couldn't veg because of a burnt out halide. So I guess I'm a foster parent now.

kamyo

Veteran
Put the PDKs in the flower tent after about 3 weeks veg from seed. PDK 12 is showing pistils and slightly ahead of the others. Will let them show sex and the males will go back into veg, along with cuttings of the girls. Will probably take a cutting of 12 today or tomorrow.

Oh, and top left is Sterling Haze cut (left) and PDK 12 (right).
picture.php

Last edited:

kamyo

Veteran
No pictures, but I decided to give them all a little haircut. Nothing crazy, just the first couple sets of leafs and some older fans where shoots are already established.

Since I was doing plenty of trimming, I got a good whiff of the fan leaves and stem. I really don't know how to describe it. Kind of like a jacuzzi or something - chlorine sort of smell, but with something else. Honestly don't think I've ever smelled anything like that before. Seems like most have it and it definitely didn't come from the PCK mom, so must be a PDC thing. #12 is pushing out some more pistils and in a week or two, we'll start to see what she's made of. Really excited to see which direction she goes.

kamyo

Veteran
So far 3 confirmed males, one runt that I had to get rid of because of space, and another one that I suspect is a male, but I'll give it another couple of days to find out. #12 and #8 are the only confirmed females, but I suspect that the others that haven't shown sex will probably be girls. That'll give me 4 girls if I'm lucky. I'll keep 2 males that vary the most in growth characteristics to eventually pollinate the girls once I grow the cuts out.

Had a power outage the other day and my digital timer is a pain in the ass. They spent all day today with no light and will only end up with about 2 hours before it's their bedtime. Hopefully that doesn't cause too much stress. Looks like it's just caused a little extra stretch.

#12 is still looking really pretty as she begins her flowering. I'll get pics of her up soon.

kamyo

Veteran
For those keeping track at home

#1 - gave away
#2 - gave away
#3 - undetermined
#4 - gave away
#5 - undetermined
#6 - male, in veg
#7 - runt, killed
#8 - female
#9 - male, in veg
#10 - undetermined
#11 - male, killed
#12 - female, flowered from 12/12

Here's #12. Quite a bit of stretch in the last day or two. Probably caused by the dark period.
picture.php

picture.php