What's new

Self watering timer for soil ?

Bobazeba

Anyone know of a timer that can be used to run a pump every 3 days ?

My water schedule is every 3 days but timers go by days of the week. Right now I'm using an Idevices switch.

Iamnumber

Anyone know of a timer that can be used to run a pump every 3 days ?

My water schedule is every 3 days but timers go by days of the week. Right now I'm using an Idevices switch.

would twice a week work? monday 8am and thusday 8pm?

If not, such timer could be build with arduino or similar.

Cameltom

would watering ever 3.5 days/84 hours kill your setup?
or a light watering every 1.75 days/42 hours? that would be 4 waterings a week
any way there is more than one way to peel a cat.

SMS65

I would use a digital aquatics controller. They make two, one for reptiles and one for aquariums.

They have a setting for dosing pumps, you can control which days they turn on and how often they turn on. You could adapt this to a mister pointed at the soil, or you could even use dosing pumps for aquariums.

Aquarium dosing pumps are not cheap, but are very reliable. I had 3 from bulk reef supply thst dosed calcium, alkalinity and magnesium, they worked for around 30minutes per day for 2 years with no issues. They were controlled with a Digital Aquatics controller and it never failed.

Take a look at it. There are several ways to do it, and the controller is awesome.

I used a particle photon, soil moisture sensor, and a small submersible 80 gph pump. Soil moisture hits 55%, turn on pump. For 80 gph pump, divide by 60 mins I get 1.3 gallons per min. For my current pot I need 3/4 gallon so I let it run for about 40 seconds and then shut it off. so far so good.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
How big a grow n how many plants, could be as simple as a digital timer , cheap hydrofarm ones have days n you can set on and off times on whatever days u want so set it to turn on only on the days you want for the time you want... if that's no good n the grow is a nice size go with a sprinkler controller my new one u can turn the pump on off from my phone if I want to water extra n not be there and get alerts me when it turns on n off at set times letting me know it's doing it's job nomatter where I am...

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕
Hi Bobazeba,

You can easily built yourself one using a Raspberry Pi.
A basic model will cost around 30-40$ and one with wifi and bluetooth connectivity around 70-80$. I would recommend a complete starterkit.

The best part is not only the low price but you don't need any prior programming or electronics skills. Lots of books to be found.

You can fully customize it to your needs.
I have heard of people completely automatising their grow rooms. Rasperry Pi's support internet, camera access,...etc. They control everything with it from fan speed, ph/ppm/co2 control and monitoring, feeding and light cycles to control over the internet. Camera's can be used for remote monitoring. Lots of sensors are cheaply found like soil moisture, PH, EC, temp,...etc.
Easily programmed and water with the correct ec and ph balans can be automatically mixed up and given when necessary (soil moisture sensor). Runoff checked and analyzed and the feeding mixture automatically changed accordingly.

Here is a tutorial with an explanation to built an automatic watering device that uses real time internet weather forecast. And changes it watering schedule accordingly.
http://www.techradar.com/how-to/computing/how-to-automatically-water-your-plants-with-the-raspberry-pi-1315059

Another fully operational plant feeding system built using a raspberry pi:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DR2vR1fRZC0

Last edited:

medicalmj

Veteran
I bought a couple of digital no name timers for around $15 a piece that will do several weekly options including Tue Thu Sun besides many other arrangements and you get 8 on/off programmable down to minute increments. More than ample and cheap and widely available, at least around here as I bought these similar looking no names at diff stores.

Latest posts

Latest posts