What's new

Grand Funk Railroad

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
My first old fogies reunion concert. Grand Funk Railroad still ROCKS!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

At least I wasn't the oldest one there.

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fuck yeah man!! Grand Funk rocks (still lol). When I saw the thread name, I assumed GFR was a new strain name.

IMO, their cover of Gimme Shelter is way better than the Stone's version.

Hank Hemp

Veteran
Grand Funk always sucked. Most especially no talent Mark Farner. He's the only guitar player I was ever embarrassed for on stage. This was back in '72, REO warmed up.

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
I agree, I always thought Mark Farner was about the worst big-time guitar player ever (right down there with Neil Young). But I thought his voice really fit perfectly with the band's sound, especially in the early days when they had that pre-heavy metal sound. However, Farner hasn't been with the band in many years. Their new guitar player is really quite decent. Though at times it sounded like he was trying to copy Farner's style, maybe going for that original sound. And the new singer was really very good, even though he didn't have that Mark Farner twang.

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
Had a boss who collected autographs on guitars and memorabilia. I sorta got the 'pleasure' of meetin Mark farner while the Boss got his sig on the original red boots he wore once or somethin.. Mostly I recall he was a douche and I was ashamed he was from Mich. Flint I think?

Did love some of the stuff growin up, and now that I know MF is replaced I would see em again. Thanks

For some reason I always thought they were a three=man band. Put out a lot of decibels for three guys. I was never "into" them but they had a couple cuts I loved. My brother, six years my junior, had all their stuff and played some of it in his bands,

Last edited:

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
They started out as a three-man band, but when they transitioned from hard rock to a more pop sound they added a keyboard player. They're now a five-man band (two guitars). And of course, they are an American Band.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
I remember them clearly

I remember them clearly

in 1974 I was smoking Thai sticks, Kona Gold, and Red Columbian. I remember them

Puffin13

Lifetime Supporter
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Grand Funk is one of my favorite bands from back in the day. Still is. I have such good memories of tokin up with friends and listening to GFR. Their Live album is one that I really enjoy. I agree with festivus; IMO2, their cover of Gimme Shelter is way better than the Stone's version. Long live Grand Funk Railroad!

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I didn't care for GFR's drumming style, sounded like a syncopated snare drum machine or something from a marching band. The drum kits back then were small and had a "tinney" sound, if that makes sense.

They did rock in their day. Hard rock was brand spanking new then, and there were just a handful of decent bands lead by the likes of Led Zeppelin, Black Sabath, Uriah Heap and The James Gang (Bang!).

Last edited:

the gnome

Veteran
I love GFR
I really never saw them back in the day but they rocked it pretty damn good
and were one of my favorite bands
wink.gif

there were so many good bands back then.....
smile.gif

being a drummer I enjoyed don brewers rudimental style, very powerful and solid.
listen to his solo on T.N.U.C live, at 14 i was trying to nail down his solo and did a fair rendition.

hey festivus, I know your not a drummer and i agree the sound for the most part sucked back in the day!
especially live but isn't a reflection on the drummers ability.
what people don't realize is back then they didn't have the huge selections in drum heads, shell thickness and cut angles on the bearing edge like we have today to tailor the sound we want.
nor did they have technology to make the amplified drums sound like they do these days that give depth
and power to the sound.
back in the day they just miked em up... sometimes with only 1 overhead and one in front of the kit
and put a bit of delay and verb on it and that was it.
and the mic's they used wern't made for the high SPLs drums produced and many were just vocal mic's....yuk!
todays mic's are tailored for drums.
as far as you sound back in the day, it sucked!!! LOL

guitar players had all kinds of effects, even back then.
tell one today play his instrument dry, no effects and see how it sounds, see how he likes it and can he make his instrument convey his feeling/inflections into the music with his instrument like that..
it takes raw talent to make the kit rock in that situation and that's what brewer did!
of course I'm not saying drums didn't sound good back then,
but when rock hit in the technology to let the drums compete on an even playing field in the hi volume situations they
performed in just wasn't available at the time.
I mean, drummers in the studio didn't even get to play with a click track.
they played by the seat of their pants so to say!

as for farner I agree,
he wasn't a great guitar player,
the same for his singing.
but he had good ear and knew what sounded good
and knew when and where to do it
so in that respec he was a very good *musician*

the music they put out as a 3 piece band was very good in my book.
i saw them a few years ago and don still nails it on the drums!

Last edited:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I used to get backstage passes to this 4 day concert every year, because of my bad back I've not been able to attend the past 2 years.

www.moondancejam.com

GFR has been there several times, I missed them this year.

When you go to a rock fest you get to gauge bands in sort of a side by side look 4 days end to end, by the end of the show you really know which bands put in the effort to please the crowd, Grand Funk NEVER failed to give it their all!

These tunes bring me back to some of the happiest times in my life. if a note or 3 isn't hit just right it's just obscurely lost on the wind and the band plays on.......

That is a safe (and cool) site to visit, word up.

especially for you old timers, you'll dig it the most!

Hank Hemp

Veteran
When did they pick up the 2nd guitar player? They were a 3 man band back in the day. Are they a oldies band now?

Scrappy4

Veteran
I watched them practice as they were forming back in the day in Saginaw mi, in a little club called Daniels den. Terry knight of terry knight and the Pack put gfr together. They were very loud and somewhat crude compared to today's over produced sounds. But then I like the old raw style where each show sounded different, and the players played with emotions. For the haters put on the utube version of inside looking out. Very very heavy back in the day. No discounting that big bass either, it really drove the music. On the radio they changed the lyrics ( inside looking out) of making up nickel bags to making up burlap bags. This was life was like in the late 60's and early 70's.....scrappy

Latest posts

Latest posts