What's new

American Graffiti: Stoners Edition.......

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

American Graffiti, upon its release was deemed a 'classic' in the coming of age film genre, and of course it was so much deeper than its appearance of a california cruisin' the strip kind of movie, it was Lucas genius.

Anyway, lots of us likely have fond memories of similar times or nights. If you actually recall those same nights (American Graffiti was based in '62) then you're really an old timer here, much respect :bow:; I started cruising up n' down Central Ave from Yonkers to White Plains NY back in '71 with friends and got my license and first wheels in '72 when I turned 16. Sometimes we'd go over to Route 1 and cruise from New Rochelle up through Larchmont but Central Ave. was our home turf.

a great weekend meant a bag of bud, a tank of gas (.35 per gallon) and some Boones Farm Green Apple and Strawberry Hill wine. the cops were so used to seeing us rolling up n' down the pike they'd never bother stopping us if we obeyed traffic laws. Central Av was 1/2 mile from me & the cruise from one turnaround point to the other was at least 6-7 miles and dozens of traffic lights.

my '71 'Cuda didn't have any hood pins or the optional painted bumper but was similar in every other way to this one. Paint was called 'Curious Yellow', electric rag top, self installed 8-Track player. I was a cool dude and scoring with the chicks was easy in those days.

So I'm hoping to hear some tales from the past, and seeing your old cars or trucks, big city members members might have the advantage as I know you rural country guys/gals didn't have those busy pikes to cruise unless you hit the big city for some fun.

Hank Hemp

Veteran
Nice ride Stoner. Didn't get your license till '72. Why your just a boy. I had a '66 Mustang convertible when I got sent to ft Dix. I won't say were we went on the NJ shore. Fear of being laughed at.

Lions drag strip

Lions drag strip

Grew up 10 miles from "Lions drag strip" In Long beach California. Everyone on my block was into street rods, Van clubs, You could here lions at night from where I lived . I had a 68 Nova SS maybe I can dig up the picture. Totally built, put you back in your seat.There was vans I rode in that went 150 mph over the spring street bridge..LOL Those most deff where the days I'll remember. Things where much better then when I was young...that's a song I believe "When I was young"...

Last edited:

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What about dropping acid in Garwood NJ and then jumping in the vw bug to see if you would make it into the village before tripping?

Sometimes would get stuck in traffic and start really getting trails inside......................the HOLLAND TUNNEL!

Ahh the good old days. That was circa 1971

Once though 4 of us in a convertible ford falcon on our way back from the village after scoring hundreds of hits of cleardot from the chemist I did business with named Strider, the apt up top of the cafe at the corner of bleeker and mcdougal. Stuck. Stopped and the carbon monoxide and smoke filled the tunnel and 4 teenagers tripping in this ford falcon with the top down

whacky110.gif

Those were the days........la la la la la la