What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Loss of dreams from cannabis?

spurr

Veteran
Hello,

I wonder if anyone experiences loss of dream state after using lots of cannabis per day, over a long period (months). I have been smoking daily for about 20 years, with occasional breaks here and there, and I notice when I take breaks I start dreaming again after about a week or two without smoking.

And when I start dreaming again, oh my god, talk about vivid and 'big' dreams! I am a very powerful natural lucid dreamer (ie., I consciously control my reactions in dreams), and after I stop smoking I have much more control over myself while lucid dreaming.

Does anyone else stop dreaming (apparently) due to smoking (raw) cannabis?

Zonker

The few dreams I can actually remember having have all been during those rare periods when I was not indulging in the sweet herb for whatever reason.

delic

Yes!

Yes!

i was in a singapore for a few weeks some years back. obviously had nothing to smoke and the dreams kicked in after about a week. remember thinking wow at the time.
hardly had one since :ying:

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I rarely remember my dreams. I smoke almost every day, however, my brother smokes every day and always remembers his dreams. I wonder if it has more to do with how busy a person is or if it is local to smoking ganja.

I

Iron_Lion

Maybe you are not ever getting in to REM sleep. I smoke every day and still have very vivid dreams from time to time, and sometimes I remember them in to the next day, but I usually only dream or remember dreaming when I get a very good night sleep and often times sleep til later in the day. My dreams usually occur in my last few hours of sleeping it seems.

spurr

Veteran
Wow, I am very surprised to see so many affirmative responses. That makes me kind of sad, that smoking cannabis appears to stop/dull dream states. I love lucid dreaming, but I also love cannabis ... oh the misery!

I wonder if cannabis extracts have a similar effect, ex., after long periods of only smoking oil ... I wonder if loss of dreams is due to (some) cannabinoids, or some other substance in cannabis.

spurr

Veteran
Maybe you are not ever getting in to REM sleep. I smoke every day and still have very vivid dreams from time to time, and sometimes I remember them in to the next day, but I usually only dream or remember dreaming when I get a very good night sleep and often times sleep til later in the day. My dreams usually occur in my last few hours of sleeping it seems.

Good point, you could be on to something. However, I have tested using the same sleep and wake times (re circadian rhythm) from 12 am to 8 am, and from 2 am to 10 am; and I still don't dream.

I want to look further into this topic, I wonder if any studies have been done on this topic ...

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Yep, no dreams while toking.. Well, maybe the occasional morning dream if i didn't toke heavy the night before, last time i was on a break i thought i'm losing my mind over those dreams, really powerful stuff about the ladies of my life and the end of the world and stuff like that.

Keep tokinshmokin is what i say!:tiphat:

Dr. D

Veteran
I get them after only a day or two without weed super vivid, i still dream but not like that.
Ive had a lot of people say to me they get full on nightmares when they don't smoke but i suppose it depends what you call a nightmare ive never had one, my dreams have always been crazy....Peace

Morphote

Veteran
I stopped smoking about two months ago. I started having vivid dreams one week after quitting. My dreams have increased in intensity to the point where I am convinced cannabis must have inhibited my ability to dream. Now every night, without fail, I have extremely vivid dreams (some good, some bad, all weird).

M.

HighDesertJoe

COME ON PEOPLE NOW
Veteran
As 30+ year smoker who quit twice for a year at a time I can say cannabis IMHO does cause dreams to be suppressed or maybe just not remembered.
The two times I did quit, the day's after not smoking I had the most vivid realistic dreams, they almost kept me awake.
Then after I started back up they went away again.
I haven't used cannabis everyday in 12yrs and I truly enjoy my wild hot sexy really vivid dreams nightly.

H

h^2 O

If I don't smoke for a few days I have straight up visions in my sleep. Like SO real and meaningful. I don't dream as much or as hard when I smoke 24/7. I can still remember my big dream from when I didn't smoke for a few weeks this winter...I was soaring across the tree tops holding onto a foil weather balloon and having the time of my life. Then I stole another balloon from a guy with red hair. Not sure where I was going. Google results say the dream was about making a big decision or taking a different course. There were 2 lizards at the dream - stopping me from loading my stuff onto a van. In real life 2 of my family members betrayed me and lost my belongings.

Green lung

Veteran
Yes very few dreams when smoking, when quitting for a few weeks maybe they the dreams are real intense even nightares, sweating.

Eventually after all cannabis has left my body the dreams are not as intense as the first weeks after quitting. Just kinda of a dream here and there not every night though.

fukndenny

I think dreams are directly related to stress levels.

The more stressed I am the more I dream, no matter what I am under the influence of.

But maybe its just me. :p

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
that's weird. cool, but weird. Might I add to my lack of dreams by saying (and I don't know if it matters) but I usually get five hours of sleep per day. I can't remember the last time I got eight or 10 hours. I've been this way for 12 years.
@funkydunky-I believe you are 100% correct. My brother lives a very stressful life and often has vivid dreams, I'm not so stressed at all, and we both blaze up a whole lot!

I watched a show on sleep that talked about REM vs this other state of sleep(Cant remember the name), but it talked about people with the chronic fatigue syndrome where going immediately in REM sleep and were never entering this other state of sleep. Where a normal individual starts to fall asleep enter this other state of sleep then REM sleep then back to this other state of sleep, much like a Bell curve.
I think Smoking herb never allows you to enter REM sleep or not as long or maybe its frequency, but like above stated you can have a dream once in a while while on herb.

Sour Deez

I have had this conversation before many times with buddies, and they all report the same thing. No dreams until taking a break from toking, and then very vivid dreams.