What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Private security firms plan on using FLIR to scare renters.

...did anyone else read 'Snow Crash', by Neil Stephenson???

A tool for Chilliwack landlords to battle marijuana grow-ops​

By Tyler Olsen, Chilliwack Times July 18, 2011

A local security company is offering a new weapon in the ongoing battle between marijuana grow operators and Chilliwack landlords.

Griffin Investigation & Security Services says it has acquired a new infrared camera can both detect grow ops and prevent them from taking over, and destroying homes, in the first place.

Griffin's chairman and chief executive officer Brain Goldstone said landlords can hire his company to perform monthly heat checks of their homes. The camera takes an image of a structure's "heat signature." Grow operations typically require vast amounts of heat and energy and, Goldstone says, are easy to spot using the camera.

"The house will actually glow," said Goldstone, a former RCMP officer.

The camera itself is not enough to prove the existence of a grow operation. For that, an inspection is required. Once an anomalous heat pattern is detected, Goldstone says his company will alert the homeowner, who can either do an inspection him or herself, or hire Griffin to complete that task. Landlords must give tenants notice before an inspection and Goldstone believes that such notice should drive off any grow operators who may have set up shop. But that, he said, is a victory.

He said the camera can also serve as a deterrent. Clients will be given letters—which they can in turn hand potential renters—stating that homes will be subject to monthly heat inspections.

"If you're planning on renting this property to put a grow op in it and you know someone's going to be coming by this property, you'll go somewhere else," he said.

As for privacy concerns, Goldstone said the camera—which mounts on top of a vehicle and costs $14,000—is not powerful enough to see into homes.

"It won't penetrate glass or look through windows, and we don't want it to," he said. The scans, which can often be done from the road, only register heat given off by the walls of the home, said Goldstone.

Hiring Griffin doesn't come without a cost—about $900 per year per home—but Goldstone believes there will be sufficient demand from landlords worried about the cost of cleaning up after grow operations and paying the accompanying fines.

The camera won't only be used to try and detect grow operations. Griffin is contracted to provide security for the City of Chilliwack and he said the company used it Thursday night to scan local parks after dark for trespassers. It also will be available, he said, for search and rescue operations in instances where a mobile unit is required.

http://www.chilliwacktimes.com/news...ords+battle+marijuana+grow/5120292/story.html

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nothing that some LED lights can't overcome :moon:

I have used FLIR on my spot a few times, nothing shows up. ;)

Decent temps closely matching the rest of the house or apt with no built up infrared heat from the HPS (that would be making the room glow because it's absorbed into the surrounding structure) means these guys can basically go fuck off :good:

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
WTF? "Grow operations typically require vast amounts of heat"

Anyone else think a hot plate and fan could be fun to make these fuckers check non grow apartments?

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Remember the key words here infrared camera

If you eliminate as much infrared heat energy as you can from your grow the chance of detection drops way down to almost zero and would likely only be seen if you had a very hot room with an open grow compared to the rest of the apartment or home temps. You need an air conditioned room even if it's just the regular A/C running in the place with a quality growtent like a Growlab that has IR insulating material on it's walls placed in the middle of the room away from any exterior walls or windows and the layer of air space around it should nearly match the rest of the house which is not hard to do with LED lighting and some basic intake/exhaust for the tent to refresh the air constantly. They can use the FLIR on this set-up all they want but it's not going to show up. :good:

Dr. D

Veteran
That is ridiculous, it wouldn't even be able to tell if there was a grow there! A well heated home is gonna give off more heat than your average grow and those things only detect heat loss, like it said they can't see into your home.
Ive read about the choppers over here raiding people because they've got bad insulation, its the heat loss they detect, in the one instance it was the town councillor they raided...lol...Peace

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
I think that I would set him up if I knew when they intended to use FLIR on my place. I would make sure there was a gal in the shower or standing nude behind a curtain. Then After I saw him and knew he had scanned my place I'd call the fuckin cops and report him as a peeper.
You know he would save a screen shot if he had a heat image of a sexy young gal nude. He wouldn't be able to resist because it's his sneaky voyeur fetish that is the reason he would even be in that industry.

I fuckin hate snitches...

Herborizer

Veteran

Decent temps closely matching the rest of the house or apt with no built up infrared heat from the HPS (that would be making the room glow because it's absorbed into the surrounding structure) means these guys can basically go fuck off :good:

I agree. If I was challenged with FLIR, LED would be a no brainer.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
nasty shit. this is a grave invasion of peoples privacy, lets hope people get as pissed off with this camera as they did with google cars spying on people. use a potato gun with paint balloons as ammo and fuck that shit up from far away.

if the get away with using this they will put an end to all unsealed hps grows. but sealed rooms with proper insulation will still be fine. just a bummer to have to buy co2 when it's free outside lol.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Damn bro they have been using this one for many many years LOL they picked this baby up from the war and have been playing with these toys ever since.. lol.. They also said that they don't get info from the Hydro companies about consumption .BULLSHIT they don't lol.. Have you ever seen a house lite up at night with a gro?? lol damn that thing glows lol...Even the heat comes out of the cracks in your windows like a beakon of light from accross the sky you can see this shit lol.. Best to put your lights on during the day lol peace out Headband707

If they can pick up the heat from your body in a forest can you imagine what your grow looks like at night LOL..

headiez247

shut the fuck up Donny
Veteran

meh.

Might work for small grows but for people with 9kw and more telling them to switch to LED is like telling someone to go buy a new house.

This is a major problem for people with large grows. Don't be so optimistic.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
WTF? "Grow operations typically require vast amounts of heat"

Anyone else think a hot plate and fan could be fun to make these fuckers check non grow apartments?

These fuckers are only checking homes where the landlord has paid $900 per year.

I think tire spikes and an unfortunate fire are in that vans future.

"Spy van operations typically require vast amounts of malicious vandalism"

:joint:

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
meh.

Might work for small grows but for people with 9kw and more telling them to switch to LED is like telling someone to go buy a new house.

This is a major problem for people with large grows. Don't be so optimistic.

Yo Bro...
The LED's go outside around your house. You get a bunch of IR LED's and wire em in a parallel series around your house. They aren't visible to the eye but fuck up night vision or FLIR because the IR from your LED's will out shine any heat loss.

B

BrnCow

Start the light at 2 or 3 a.m. so the fuckers are back at the office eating donuts off each others peckers...that's why they like donuts...holes in the center for rookie training...

headiez247

shut the fuck up Donny
Veteran
Yo Bro...
The LED's go outside around your house. You get a bunch of IR LED's and wire em in a parallel series around your house. They aren't visible to the eye but fuck up night vision or FLIR because the IR from your LED's will out shine any heat loss.

Will the house still look normal but without heat signature? or will the image look like a total washout?

If it makes it so it looks like all the other neighbors then thats a great idea. But if it washes out the image then obviously the dude is gonna know something is up and see that you randomly have IR LED's just randomly pointed out towards the street.

stussy22

Just another plus into owning your own place.

I can see both sides of the argument here though.

In the story they don't list a price for their service. Wonder how much it would cost them. And if a land lord was iffy about he had a grow going on. Wouldn't he give the tenant a notice for inspection rather than paying an outside company to come with IR cameras. All seems like a big work to me

stu :joint:

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Snitch ass mofos like this are not the only people you have to worry about either with FLIR, here in Cali we have educated jackers driving around with ebay bought IR cameras looking for big grows with nobody home. Just something to think about because this technology really is shitty for growers safety & privacy but remember you have options to defeat it. :joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts